Technology & Combat Characteristics
A modified design of ZAFT's ZGMF-XX09T DOM Trooper Original Spec Type, the DOM Trooper is armed with an enhanced beam saber stored on the back-mounted EZ Wizard, a "Screaming Nimbus" in the abdomen, a handheld "Giga-launcher" capable of firing physical projectiles and high-powered beams, and a pair of shoulder-mounted CIWS. The DOM Trooper also mounts defensive "Solidus Fulgor" beam shield generator, the same type used by ZAFT's ZGMF-X42S Destiny Gundam and ZGMF-X666S Legend Gundam, on its forearms. Its large body and legs mount numerous thrusters, giving the DOM Trooper excellent mobility in spite of its bulk. It also possesses a hovering system built into its legs for moving rapidly over land. As seen in the series, the DOM Troopers capabilities far exceeds that of the mass production suits of ZAFT.
A trio of DOM Troopers can utilize a special attack known as "Jet Stream Attack", which allows them to combine the power of three mobile suits into one through a highly synchronized attack. This maneuver involves the three units attacking in rapid succession, with each using a different weapon, and the lead pilot activating the "Screaming Nimbus". The "Screaming Nimbus" produces a "cloud" of particles with both offensive and defensive capabilities that spread out to form a barrier around the DOM Troopers. This has the end effect of allowing the DOM Trooper to tear through groups of enemy units with ease while still having a certain level of defense from enemy fire.
- MA-X848HD Enhanced Beam Saber
- The DOM Trooper's standard melee weapon, it can slice through most armor easily except for those with anti-beam treatment. When not used, it is stored in the EZ Wizard Pack on the back.
- MX2351 "Solidus Fulgor" Beam Shield Generator
- Mounted on each forearm, it generates a beam shield that can block beam or physical attacks. During the 'Jet-Stream Attack', it is used by the lead MS to defend itself.
- MMI-GAU25A 20mm CIWS
- Mounted on the shoulders are a pair of CIWS, they are mainly used for shooting down missiles and other projectiles, but can also damage lightly armored enemies.
- G14X31Z "Screaming Nimbus"
- The most unique weapon of the DOM Trooper, it is located on the lower torso. It utilizes Mirage Colloid technology and releases special particles that shrouds the units during the 'Jet-Stream Attack'. These particles have both defensive and offensive properties, allowing the DOM Troopers to destroy enemy units by simply ploughing through while protected from their attacks.
- JP536X Giga-Launcher DR1 Multiplex
- The primary ranged weapon for the DOM Trooper, it contains a beam cannon at the bottom while a physical bazooka is located at the top. When not in use, the launcher can be stored on the back skirt armor.
Special Equipment & Features
- The DOM Trooper retains its predecessor, the ZGMF-XX09T DOM Trooper Original Spec Type's, ability to mount Wizard Pack on its back. The DOM Trooper's standard Wizard Pack is the EX-EZ1200 EZ Wizard.
The ZGMF-XX09T DOM Trooper is a heavy mobile suit used by the Clyne Faction. The acronym DOM means Dauntless Obliterator Magnificent, and the suit was originally designed by ZAFT as the ZGMF-XX09T DOM Trooper Original Spec Type, a MS that lost the competition to be ZAFT's next generation mass production MS to the ZAKU series. Due to Junius Treaty restrictions, the Mirage Colloid technology used in the "Screaming Nimbus" becomes a disadvantage. It was rumored that members of the Clyne Faction, or its Terminal ally, were able to infiltrate ZAFT's leadership, and stop the DOM Trooper Original Spec Type from being mass-produced, while acquiring the blueprints for themselves. An improved version of the machine was then produced in the asteroid base "Factory" for Clyne Faction's use.
At least three DOM Troopers were built and piloted by Hilda Harken (team leader, pilot of unit 003), Herbert Von Reinhardt (pilot of unit 004), and Mars Simeon (pilot of unit 009), veterans of the Second Battle of Jachin Due who joined the Clyne Faction after the war's end. The DOM Troopers debuted during the Second Battle for Orb where they prove to be highly effective at destroying ZAFT forces with their various weapons and the "Jet Stream Attack". While no DOM Trooper or pilot was killed in action in the anime series, in Final Plus and the HD Remaster Hilda Harken's unit 003 suffered a hit to its left leg, destroying the limb. This scene is not present in the original anime series and stands as the only damage incurred by the otherwise "untouchable" DOM Trooper trio.
Notes & Trivia
- The DOM Trooper's design is directly based on the MS-09 Dom series, fielded during the One Year War in Mobile Suit Gundam, but majority of the armaments differ in property, especially the Enhanced Beam Saber.
- The Jet Stream Attack is taken from the trademark maneuver that the Black Tri-Stars from Mobile Suit Gundam perform.
- In Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Battle Destiny, the Screaming Nimbus causes gradual damage on any enemy MS upon contact. Dash moves do not supplement the effect (going against the canon specifications), Regardless, it remains active even during a knockdown. This can help discourage follow-up melee attacks, but does little to protect from projectile attacks.