Technology & Combat Characteristics
The ZAKU Phantom is a commander/ace pilot use version of the ZGMF-1000 ZAKU Warrior and features higher performance. Appearance wise, the ZAKU Phantom is almost identical to the ZAKU Warrior except for an additional shield on the right shoulder and a blade antenna on its head for C4ISR purpose (Command, Control, Communications, Computers, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance). The armament of the suit is similar to the ZAKU Warrior, and it also has the ability to utilize the Wizard System to adapt to different combat roles.
- Anti-Beam Shield
- Both shoulders of the ZAKU Phantom are equipped with shields, leaving its hands free to hold weapons. Each shield is capable of independent movement, has an anti-beam coating on its surface and three spikes for use in melee combat. The shield's back has hardpoints for mounting two spare magazines for the beam assault rifle. It also stores the beam tomahawk, which slides out of a slot near the top of the shield when deployed, grip first.
- MA-M8 Beam Tomahawk
- An axe-shaped weapon that emits a curved beam blade, it is the ZAKU Phantom's primary close combat weapon and can also be thrown. The ZAKU Phantom has two beam tomahawks, one stored in each shield.
- Hand Grenade
- Four hand grenades are stored on the suit's side skirt armor. Several different types can be carried, including fragmentation, high-explosive, and smoke grenades.
- MMI-M633 Beam Assault Rifle
- The primary ranged weaponry of the ZAKU series, this beam firearm's design emphasizes destructive power and rapid-fire capabilities. Its accuracy is lowered somewhat as a result, but the scattering of its beam shots allows for simultaneous attack of multiple targets. Unlike most beam rifles, it does not draw power from the mobile suit's battery. Instead, the rifle is powered by the energy stored in a replaceable drum-type magazine. When not in use, this weapon could be stored on the back waist armor.
- M68 "Cattus" 500mm Recoilless Rifle
- A handheld, bazooka-type weapon first used by the ZGMF-1017 GINN. It is most suited for anti-ship combat, and is fed by a box magazine mounted on the top, allowing it to reload or switch to other types of ammunition quickly. Since beam weaponry is ineffective underwater, this weapon is used by ZAKU Phantom as the main weapon in aquatic combat.
Special Equipment & Features
- Wizard System
- A series of optional, interchangeable armament packs developed by ZAFT that closely resemble the Striker Pack System used by the Earth Alliance. Various types of armament packs have been created so as to give the ZAKU Phantom different characteristics to suit the situation at hand. These packs are usually mounted on the ZAKU Phantom's back, but there are several packs with other attachment locations and methods, including those that require the replacement of certain parts of the mobile suit.
After the end of the first war and the signing of the Junius Treaty, a new generation of mobile suits was needed by ZAFT to cope with the technological and numerical restrictions placed on the superpowers as part of the treaty. The ZAKU series's ZAKU Phantom was one such machine. An enhanced version of the standard ZAKU Warrior produced as part of the "New Millennium Series" of mobile suits, it is used by commanders and ace pilots. As a result, most ZAKU Phantoms feature a custom color paint job, although some Phantoms are painted in the same green color scheme as the basic ZAKU Warrior.
Prominent ZAFT aces using the ZAKU Phantom are first war veterans Yzak Jule, Dearka Elsman and Heine Westenfluss, while other pilots include Rey Za Burrel and Riika Sheder, with nearly each of them piloting a custom colored version. Since the ZAKU Phantom was designed to utilize the Wizard System, each pilot fields his unit with one such armament pack, with the EX-M Blaze Wizard being the most prominent. However as the war progress, some of them switched to more advanced suits that become available later, such as the ZGMF-2000 GOUF Ignited.
Notes & Trivia
- There are conflicting information on ZAKU Phantom's total height, figures given from various sources include 19.05m, 19.37m and 19.5m.
- The ZAKU Phantom can be considered the Cosmic Era counterpart to the MS-06S Zaku II Commander Type.
- Television Series
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
- Episode 1 (HD Remastered Episode 1), Angry Eyes - (First Appearance)
- Episode 2 (HD Remastered Episode 2), Those Who Call For War
- Episode 15 (HD Remastered Episode 15), Return to the Battlefield
- Episode 16 (HD Remastered Episode 16), Struggle in the Indian Ocean
- Episode 30 (HD Remastered Episode 30), A Fleeting Dream