Technology & Combat Characteristics
Slash ZAKU Phantom is the close combat configuration of the ZGMF-1001 ZAKU Phantom achieved through the use of the EX-K Slash Wizard Pack. In addition to the standard armaments of the ZAKU Phantom, the Slash ZAKU Phantom is armed with two MMI-M826 "Hydra" Gatling beam cannons as well as a MA-MR Falx G7 beam axe, which is possibly the strongest melee weapon available to the ZAKU Phantom. The Slash ZAKU Phantom is one of the lightest configuration of the ZAKU Phantom and this allows it to stay mobile during close combat.
- Shoulder Shield
- Both shoulders of the Slash ZAKU Phantom are equipped with shields, leaving its hands free to hold weapons. Large enough to protect the torso, each shield has an anti-beam coating and three spikes for use in melee combat. The shield's back has hardpoints for mounting two spare magazines for the beam assault rifle. It also stores the beam tomahawk, which slides out of a slot near the top of the shield when deployed, grip first.
- MA-M8 Beam Tomahawk
- An axe-shaped weapon that emits a curved beam blade, this close combat weapon can also be thrown. The Slash ZAKU Phantom has two beam tomahawks, one stored in each shoulder shields.
- Hand Grenade
- Stored on the waist of the suit, four hand grenades are among the standard armament of the ZAKU. Several different types can be carried, including fragmentation, high-explosive, and smoke grenades.
- MMI-M826 "Hydra" Gatling Beam Cannon
- Mounted on the Slash ZAKU Phantom's back are two MMI-M826 "Hydra" Gatling beam cannons. The Gatling beam cannons posses a very high rate of fire in exchange for weaker beams, and are mainly used for suppressive fire and for intercepting attacks. Unlike the beam rifle of the ZAKU Phantom, the Gatling beam cannons are directly powered by the suit's battery.
- MA-MR Falx G7 Beam Axe
- The primary close combat weapon of the Slash ZAKU Phantom, the MA-MR Falx G7 beam axe is like a pole-arm version of the beam tomahawk. The beam axe has a greater reach than the beam tomahawk and may even be greater than most beam sabers. The beam axe has two beam blades at the top and a metal scythe attached to the bottom. When not in use, the beam axe will retract and is stored on the back waist point.
- MMI-M633 Beam Assault Rifle
- The primary ranged weaponry of the ZAKU series, this beam firearm's design emphasizes destructive power and rapid-fire capabilities. Its accuracy is lowered somewhat as a result, but the scattering of its beam shots allows for simultaneous attack of multiple targets. Unlike most beam rifles, it does not draw power from the mobile suit's battery. Instead, the rifle is powered by the energy stored in a replaceable drum-type magazine. When not in use, this weapon could be stored on the back waist armor.
Special Equipment & Features
- Wizard Packs Hardpoints
- EX-K Slash Wizard
One Slash ZAKU Phantom was known to be used by ZAFT commander and ace pilot Yzak Joule, a veteran of the First Alliance-PLANT War. In October, CE 73, Yzak used his custom colored Slash ZAKU Phantom during the "Break the World" incident, when he was fighting rogue Coordinators that were trying to throw the remains of the destroyed PLANT Junius Seven on Earth. During this battle, Yzak was able to destroy several of the ZGMF-1017M2 GINN High Maneuver Type IIs used by the renegades, as well as disable the ZGMF-X24S Chaos Gundam and ZGMF-X31S Abyss Gundam used by the Earth Alliance's Phantom Pain unit with relative ease.
When the Second Alliance-PLANT War was declared by the Earth Alliance, they quickly launched an attack on the PLANT homeland, during which Yzak again sortied in his Slash ZAKU Phantom to fight against the enemy. With the Slash ZAKU Phantom, he tried to stop the nuclear attack on Aprilius One but failed to hit any nuclear missile. Fortunately, all of them were destroyed by ZAFT's Neutron Stampeder. During the last weeks of the war, Yzak eventually switched to a new and more advanced ZGMF-2000 GOUF Ignited.
Notes and Trivia
- There are conflicting information on Slash ZAKU Phantom's total height, figures given include 19.1m and 19.4m.
- ↑ Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny Phase 6, The End of the World
- ↑ Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny Phase 9, Bared Fangs