Technology & Combat Characteristics
Besides the standard armament of the ZGMF-1000 ZAKU Warrior, Kerberos ZAKU Warrior is also equipped with Beam Fang systems and beam cannons in the "heads" of the Kerberos Wizard, a Wizard pack designed specifically for close combat. The Beam Fang system is a close combat weapon system, it emits short beam blades of various forms and can be handheld. Each of the Kerberos Wizard's "heads" is also equipped with its own tracking and target acquisition system, they are thus capable of attacking different directions simultaneously.
- MA-M8 Beam Tomahawk
- While other suits usually use beam sabers as close combat weapon, the ZAKU instead uses a single MA-M8 beam tomahawk. Thanks to its more aerodynamic form, the beam tomahawk can be thrown quite easily, granting it limited ranged combat abilities. When not in use, the tomahawk is stored inside a single physical shield, which is mounted on the left shoulder.
- Hand Grenades
- Stored on the waist of the suit, four hand grenades are among the standard armament of the ZAKU. Several different types can be carried, including fragmentation, high-explosive, and smoke grenades.
- Shoulder Shield
- The shoulder shield is a distinctive feature of the ZAKU series. Unlike most mobile suit shields which are mounted or held by the left hand, the shields of the ZAKU series are mounted on the shoulder, leaving both hands free to hold weapons. Large enough to protect the torso, the shield also serves as a storage unit for the beam tomahawk and for two spare energy clips for the beam rifle.
- Beam Fang System
- Close combat system of the Kerberos Wizard pack, it is mounted on the horn on top of the "heads" of the Wizard pack. It can emit 2 beam blades, 1 pointing directly forward and another pointing to the side. When the Kerberos Wizard is mounted on the ZAKU Warrior/ZAKU Phantom, the horns can be removed and be used as a handheld beam blade. In this form, the horns can be combined, forming a dual edge beam blade.
- Beam Cannon
- A pair of beam cannons located in the "mouth" of each "head" of the Kerberos Wizard Pack. Due to the design of the targeting system on the "heads", the cannons' effective range are shorten but in return, they gain higher firing rate which is useful for restricting the enemy during close combat.
- MMI-M633 Beam Assault Rifle
- The primary ranged weapon of the ZAKU is an MMI-M633 beam assault rifle, which unlike most beam rifles does not draw power from the mobile suit's battery. Instead, the rifle has its own independent battery, stored in a replaceable clip (similar to the technology used in the Eurasian Federation's Hyperion series), with a pair of extra clips attached to a shield mounted on the ZAKU's left shoulder. When not in use, this weapon could be stored on the back waist point.
Special Equipment & Features
Although it is a mass produced mobile suit, so far only two customised units have been seen. The first belonged to Isaac Mau, a ZAFT soldier assigned by Chairman Durandal to watch over and protect the Martian ship Acidalium. The second belonged to Suu, a violent mercenary who fought for ZAFT in Republic of East Asia.