Technology & Combat Characteristics
One of the many variants of the ZGMF-1000 ZAKU Warrior achieved through use of the Wizard Packs, the Gunner ZAKU Warrior is specialized for artillery strikes. Besides the standard armament of the ZAKU Warrior, the Gunner ZAKU Warrior also carries a M1500 "Orthros" high-energy long-range beam cannon, which is installed on the back-mounted Gunner Wizard Pack. This beam cannon is the strongest ranged weapon available to the ZAKU Warrior and grants it an impressive firepower over long ranges, capable of destroying any mobile suits or mobile armors within its line of fire.
- Hand Grenade
- Four hand grenades are stored on the suit's side skirt armor. Several different types can be carried, including fragmentation, high-explosive, and smoke grenades.
- Shoulder Shield
- A distinctive shield mounted on the left shoulder, leaving both hands free to hold weapons. Large enough to protect the torso, the shield has an anti-beam coating and three spikes for use in melee combat. The shield's back has hardpoints for mounting two spare magazines for the beam assault rifle. It also stores the beam tomahawk, which slides out of a slot near the top of the shield when deployed, grip first.
- MA-M8 Beam Tomahawk
- An axe-shaped weapon that emits a curved beam blade, it is the ZAKU Warrior's primary close combat weapon and can also be throw.
- MMI-M633 Beam Assault Rifle
- A handheld ranged weapon of the ZAKU Series is the MMI-M633 beam assault rifle, this beam firearm's design emphasizes destructive power and rapid-fire capabilities. Its accuracy is lowered somewhat as a result, but the scattering of its beam shots allows for simultaneous attack of multiple targets. Unlike most beam rifles, it does not draw power from the mobile suit's battery. Instead, the rifle is powered by the energy stored in a replaceable drum-type magazine. When not in use, this weapon could be stored on the back waist armor.
- M1500 "Orthros" high-energy long-range beam cannon
- Mounted on the back-mounted Gunner Wizard, the M1500 "Orthros" high-energy long-range beam cannon is a powerful beam weapon with a long effective range. However, the weapon is slow firing and has quite a recoil when fired, thus its operation requires the Gunner ZAKU Warrior to use both hands. When in use, the cannon is slung under the right shoulder and unfolds into its full length, which is taller than the mobile suit. When not in use, the cannon is folded and stored on the Gunner Wizard pack. Because of the intense power requirements of the "Orthros", the Gunner Wizard pack comes with its own battery to draw energy from.
Special Equipment & Features
- Wizard Pack Hardpoint
- EX-A1 Gunner Wizard
One custom red-colored Gunner ZAKU was used by ZAFT red elite pilot Lunamaria Hawke, who is one of the pilots stationed aboard the new battleship Minerva. Luna and her suit were thrown early into serious battles, when three prototype Second Stage Series Gundams are stolen from the ZAFT colony Armory One by Earth Alliance special forces team Phantom Pain. As a result, Luna and her ZAKU fought several times against the stolen Gundams while pursuing them to Earth. When the Minerva descended down to Earth and the Second Alliance-PLANT War began, Luna' ZAKU was most times used as a fixed turret standing on board the Minerva while shooting down enemies. Her suit was eventually critically damaged during battle against a joint EA/Orb Union fleet, when Luna's ZAKU was hit several times by missiles fired from one of Orb's MVF-M11C Murasames. Luna herself was injured but recovered right in time to get her new suit, the ZGMF-X56S Impulse Gundam.
Former GAT-X103 Buster Gundam pilot and Joule squadron member Dearka Elsman also piloted a Gunner ZAKU Warrior (in his custom color in the HD remaster version) during the "Break the World" incident while fighting rouge Coordinators in their ZGMF-1017M2 GINN High Maneuver Type II. He eventually switched to a custom-colored ZGMF-1001/M Blaze ZAKU Phantom during the last weeks of the war. Several Gunner ZAKU Warriors with custom colored shoulder spikes were part of the Joule squardron while fighting to destroy one of the Requiem superweapon's relay stations.
Notes and Trivia
- The "Orthros" beam cannon, is named after a two-headed dog in Greek mythology, brother to the more famous Kerberos. Interestingly, Gunner ZAKU Warrior pilot Lunamaria Hawke would later pilot the ZGMF-X56S/γ Blast Impulse Gundam, which has a pair of beam cannons named after Kerberos.
- In Seed Destiny HD Remaster, Dearka's Gunner ZAKU Warrior was painted black like his Blaze ZAKU Phantom.
|Mobile Suit Gundam SEED C.E. 73: STARGAZER Mechanics|
GAT-01A2R Slaughter Dagger | GAT-X103AP Verde Buster Gundam | GAT-X105E+AQM/E-X09S Strike Noir Gundam | GAT-X1022 Blu Duel Gundam | GFAS-X1 Destroy Gundam
Linear Gun Tank
|Aircraft / Spacecraft|
|Transporter / Supply Ship|
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
TFA-4DE GAZuOOT | TMF/A-802 BuCUE | TMF/A-802W2 Kerberos BuCUE Hound | ZGMF-1000/A1 Gunner ZAKU Warrior | ZGMF-1000/K Slash ZAKU Warrior | ZGMF-1000/M Blaze ZAKU Warrior | ZGMF-1017 GINN
GSX-401FW Stargazer Gundam | UT-1D Civilian Astray DSSD Custom
ZGMF-1017 GINN Insurgent Type