The Zodiac Alliance of Freedom Treaty (ZAFT) is a political organization that holds the position of the ruling party of the one-party dictatorship in PLANT, but is also an armed organization that functions as the de facto national army. ZAFT is controlled by the PLANT Supreme Council, with its members reporting directly to the chairman of the National Defense Committee.
The predecessor of ZAFT was the "Zodiac Alliance", a political organization formed by Patrick Zala, Siegel Clyne, and other L5 colony builders in the PLANTs as volunteers with the goal of acquiring their own rights. With the expansion of the party, it changed its name to the "Zodiac Alliance of Freedom Treaty" in C.E. 65. In C.E. 68, it absorbed the police organization that existed in the PLANT and reorganized into an organization that possesses a full-fledged military force, mainly mobile suits. Hence, ZAFT is not a regular army of the state, but a "volunteer army". For this reason, both the members of ZAFT and the Supreme Council have their own day jobs in peacetime.
The headquarters of the military is the ZAFT military station, a large cylindrical space station in the PLANT homeland.
Originally, ZAFT did not have a traditional military ranking system such as used by the Earth Alliance or Orb Union. Titles are referred to by the department to which they are assigned, the job title, and the name of the person in charge of that tactical unit or management position. Joining ZAFT is on a voluntary basis, and recruits come through the Officer Academy. Following the end of the Second Alliance-PLANT War, ZAFT formally introduced a rank system. 
- Worn by common soldiers, technicians, or mobile suit pilots. The jackets on the standard green uniforms stretch to just past the pelvic areal; they are shorter than the mid-thigh length of the other uniform colors. There are three known styles of standard uniform that vary in style upon stationing:
- Space Forces (Standard): The most commonly seen style, the style is angled at the bottom of the uniform with a thicker white band down the chest and a thick and mechanized belt that is black an color, like the shoes. The angled white cuffs on the sleeves are long, coming nearly to the elbows, like nearly all of the other uniform styles. This is a very standard style in terms of what is seen. Dearka Elsman and Meyrin Hawke can both be seen wearing this style of uniform. It seems to sometimes be used for slightly higher-ranking officers of the Ground Forces. Women who wear the green uniform and are part of the space forces have the option to wear long or short skirt and knee-highs or tights or pants.
- Desert Forces: This uniform is only green and black and lacks any trim whatsoever, as well as the gold ZAFT insignia on the collar. The collar is black and turned down and appears to zipper straight down and ends (or remains unzippered) after the straight black belt with silver clasp. The bottom of the uniform is angled, but only angles downward and the sides of the uniform do not overlap, they are left open. The sleeves are short and do retain the angled style of the other uniforms, however they are short and black and come nearly to the shoulder badges. The boots are also different, they lack the sleek look of the Space style, however, they, like the entirety of the uniform with its 4 pockets (two on the chest, two at the waist), seem to be designed appropriately for the terrain. Short brown gloves and a round-styled hat are available. Martin DaCosta wears this style of uniform.
- Ground Forces: This uniform has the standard white-trimmed collar of the Space forces, however, the white trim is rectangular, meeting at a 90 degree angle on the right breast. The trim itself follow straight down in a thin line to a straight-cut uniform which has the same straight black belt of the Desert Forces. The white shoulder area only comes to the stitching in the shoulders, leaving the standard ZAFT badges stitched to green cloth. The sleeves are long, however the white straight-cut cuffs only come a quarter of the way up the arm. A hat that is identical to the Desert Forces is available. This uniform is rarely seen, as most ZAFT soldiers on Earth wear the Desert Forces uniform, with some exceptions.
- Worn by command officers in the ground forces who are stationed in warmer climates, such as the desert. Andrew Waltfeld wore this color of uniform.
- Bright Green
- Worn by mechanics only.
- Worn by elite soldiers or mobile suit pilots, typically the top graduates from ZAFT's academy. Although they are respected, soldiers who wear red do not necessarily have higher positions than their green-clad comrades. In many respects though (such as with the Le Creuset Team's relation with Miguel Aiman, their mentor), Reds fill the same function as non-commissioned officers in a traditional military. While Shiho Hahnenfuss wears a uniform identical to male ones, there seems to be some flexibility in terms of customizing uniforms among female Reds: Lunamaria Hawke wears a very short pink miniskirt, and Riika Sheder wears a slightly longer skirt that matches the uniform. Currently no female red has been seen to wear the knee-length skirt worn by common female recruits. These red-wearing pilots are often referred to as "Red Coats". (Though not shown another time, except in Destiny's special ending, these uniforms also have hats, the same as all other uniforms.)
- Worn by the second-in-command of the unit. This is also the color worn by the ZAFT's military bureaucracy. Following the end of the Second Alliance-PLANT War, the black commander uniform was shown to also be worn by elite pilot, such as Dearka Elsman.
- This coat is the next step up from Red and is worn by those who hold the rank of captain (and are the highest ranking officer on the ship, like Talia Gladys) and commanders, who have their own unique gold markings on the black sections of the uniform, such as Commander Le Creuset. It's important to note that the rank badge on the chest is also different between the two ranks.
- A military officer belonging to the National Defense Committee. Patrick Zala wore a modified version of this uniform with enlarged, ornate epaulets.
- Blue and Green
- A civilian senator. The only uniform with a different design, consisting of a long coat and slacks (long skirt) of the same color. Worn by the likes of Siegel Clyne and Eileen Canaver.
- Custom Color Uniforms
- Anyone in the ZAFT army that proves him or herself in combat are allowed to have a custom colored flight suit. These pilots have no distinct rank, as ZAFT encourages freedom of thought and action, to an extent, in battle, but are usually better than their counter-parts. For example, Rey wore a white pilot suit, however he was not above the command of Talia and still had to follow commands like regular green uniform soldiers. Another example is Andrew "Andy" Waltfeld. He was known as the Desert Tiger, and wore a special tiger-striped orange-and-black pilot suit while fellow submarine commander Marco wore the regular green uniform. Andy was above the command of most other commanders and generals at the time. Usually, the custom uniforms also came with a custom suit. Heine had an orange colored ZAKU Phantom and GOUF Ignited to match his pilot suit, Lunamaria remained with her Red uniform and had her ZAKU repainted in the same color and hue. Andy had a special BuCUE armed with fangs and claws made to match his "Tiger" outfit and an orange colored LaGOWE, complete with Beam "Fangs" and claws. Typically, pilots who wear green or red uniforms wear the matching color of pilot suit and commanders, when piloting, still wear white.
- The fourth Chairman of the Supreme Council, Gilbert Durandal, wore an administration uniform that seemed to be custom-made, consisting of a long coat and innerwear in white. Also, Lacus Clyne, who was invited by the Supreme Council after the Second Alliance-PLANT War, wore a custom-made administration uniform that seemed to be a combination of a black-colored kimono and formal dress.
FAITH (Fast Acting Integrate Tactical Headquarters) is an elite special forces unit of ZAFT personnel that have remarkable war records and certain character traits. They are appointed by the PLANT Supreme Council or the Supreme Chairman, only to whom they are answerable to. FAITH members operate outside the regular command structure of ZAFT and are allowed to plan operations and give orders on the battlefield as they see fit. FAITH members wear badges resembling a white wing emerging from a golden elliptical orb.
It can be assumed that the uniforms seen in years following the First Alliance-PLANT War are relatively new in style, being no more than a little over a decade old, at least. Though this is not out-right said in the series, few seem to realize that in Gilbert Durandal's flashbacks of Rau Le Creuset as a "young" soldier that he's wearing a red uniform that is not of the same style as the main timeline's uniforms and resembles other uniforms in Gundam eras pre-dating SEED. The differences that can be seen between the "present" uniforms and those of the past can be seen on Rau's red uniform: the black shoulder area is shorter, the black cuffs are shorter, the uniform itself is shorter and the black tips on the boots are different. In addition. the characteristic collar with the ZAFT zee is not to be seen, the thick white mechanical belt is not there, the black trim that extended from the neck down around the bottom of the uniform is gone and only one shoulder badge is the same as the new uniforms. The old uniform also fastens straight down, rather than off to the right. The rank badge on the chest has not changed.
ZAFT had over time developed several unique and powerful technologies, which gave them advantages over the EA forces. They also have their own weapons producers, which include Martius Arsenals and Maius Military Industries, as well as mobile suit design bureaus such as the Asimov Design Bureau. During the First Alliance-PLANT War, the design bureaus merged to form the Integrated Design Bureau.
ZAFT was the first military force to develop and use mobile suits, with the first mass-produced mobile suit being the ZGMF-1017 GINN. This suit gave ZAFT forces a tactical advantage over the EA forces, which used the outdated TS-MA2 Moebius mobile armors. Thanks to this fact, ZAFT was able to fight the numerical superior EA forces to a standstill, while also conquering portions of Earth, thanks to new MS developed for use in Earth's different terrains, like underwater, desert or airborne MS. While ZAFT MS were at first only equipped with shell-firing weapons and conventional missiles, they soon created beam weaponry after their forces were able to steal four prototype mobile suits developed by the Atlantic Federation. Thanks to this technology, ZAFT created advanced new mobile suits like their first series of Gundam-type suits and the ZGMF-600 GuAIZ MS.
After the First Alliance-PLANT War, ZAFT continued to create new and advanced mobile suits, which was especially shown in their creation of the Second Stage Gundams or the "New Millennium" series. They also developed the Deuterion Beam Energy Transfer System, a new type of energy distribution technology to recharge MS batteries.
Over time, ZAFT developed several different types of vessels to use in space and on Earth. Such vessels include Nazca-class destroyer and Laurasia-class frigate for space, Lesseps-class, Compton-class and Petrie-class vessels on land, and Vosgulov-class submarines at sea. ZAFT also created the large Gondwana-class carrier, the largest spaceship in the Earth Sphere as well as the advanced battleship LHM-BB01 Minerva, which was capable of fighting the EA's Archangel-class on equal terms.
ZAFT has consistently proven itself to be on the cutting edge of nuclear technology, producing the Neutron Jammer, the Neutron Jammer Canceller, and the Neutron Stampeder to deal with nuclear weaponry. Other nuclear technology include nuclear reactors for their mobile suits, granting them virtually unlimited operation time and the more advanced Hyper-Deuterion Engine. The most powerful nuclear technology created by ZAFT was GENESIS, a huge gamma-ray cannon, capable of annihilating a whole fleet or rendering a planet uninhabitable. Over time, three versions of this superweapon were developed. It should be noted however, that ZAFT itself never used the "classic" nuclear missiles which are used by the EA forces.
- The Carpentaria Base is the first major military base of ZAFT on Earth, built on April 2, C.E. 70. Located along the northern coast of the Oceania Union in Australia, Carpentaria serves as ZAFT's Pacific Headquarters on Earth. On August 8, C.E. 71, the Earth Alliance launched Operation: 8.8 and captured Carpentaria, but after signing the Treaty of Junius Carpentaria was returned to ZAFT.
- The Gibraltar Base is ZAFT's second major base on Earth (next to Carpentaria), constructed after the Gibraltar land formation was captured on May 25, C.E. 70. Using the Strait of Gibraltar, it serves as ZAFT's European and African front-line base. On July 24, C.E. 71, the Earth Alliance attacked the base, forcing ZAFT to abandoned it: however, after signing the Treaty of Junius, it was returned to ZAFT.
- Lagash Base
- The Lagash Base is ZAFT's secret underwater supply facility in the Pacific Ocean, consisting of several interconnected dome structures and docking facilities. Named after the ancient Sumerian city, the base serves primarily to resupply the Carpentaria and Gibraltar bases.
- Mahamul Base
- To combat the Earth Alliance's Suez Base, the Mahamul Base was constructed at the northern point of the Persian Gulf. Joachim Ruddle is the commandant of the base.
- Lorentz Crater
- The Lorentz Crater is the site of the only ZAFT lunar base ever established. Beginning May 3, C.E. 70, ZAFT used the base to launch attacks at the Ptolemaeus base, but was abandoned after the disastrous loss at the Endymion Crater.
- The asteroid base Jachin Due was originally a resource satellite that was converted to a military space fortress after its first battle on April 17, C.E. 70 to protect the PLANTs. The size and thickness of the asteroid was ideal as it allowed construction of several bays and docks while needing at least a massive nuclear assault to destroy the base. It was outfitted with multiple beam gun turrets and is protected by a large ZAFT fleet. Jachin Due was also the primary site for the GENESIS superweapon. The base, along with GENESIS, was destroyed on September 27, C.E. 71, at the end of its second battle.
- The asteroid base Boaz was ZAFT's second military asteroid, previously controlled by the Alliance's Republic of East Asia (who designated the base as "Nova" at the time), as a front-line base for the PLANTs. It was destroyed September 23, C.E. 71, by the Earth Alliance's nuclear missile strike after they acquired Neutron Jammer Canceller technology.
- Built after the First Alliance-PLANT War, Armory One is a PLANT-type colony located at Lagrange 4 that serves as both a military colony and ZAFT's military facility for storing arsenals and mobile weapons. Second Generation Gundams and the new battleship LHM-BB01 Minerva were also stored at this colony. However, despite its proximity to the PLANTs, on October 2, C.E. 73, Earth Alliance's Phantom Pain members infiltrated the colony and stole 3 newly-produced Gundams in the incident known as The Theft at Armory One.
Illustrations & Artwork
Notes & Trivia
- The name "ZAFT" follows in the rather curious Gundam tradition of naming the space-colony military with a 'Z' (Zeon, from early Universal Century, and the Zanscare Empire of Victory Gundam) or "Zodiac" within its acronym (such as Gundam Wing's OZ/Order of Zodiac). The use of the word here most likely originated with the fact that the PLANTs have 12 colony clusters each corresponding to the months of the Roman calendar.
- The ZAFT soldiers share a similar gesture to saluting with the SeeD members from Final Fantasy VIII.
- A different version of the ZAFT emblem can be seen on the helmet of a ZAFT pilot in the unedited version of False Peace, featuring a different color scheme. This emblem was corrected to the standard version in the HD Remaster. However, the same emblem can be seen on the activation screen of Justice Gundam in In the Name of Justice, this time unchanged even in the HD Remaster.