Technology & Combat Characteristics
The YMS-15 Gyan was developed by the Zimmad company in the late stages of the One Year War for the Principality of Zeon's second phase main mobile suit development project. It was designed with exceptional close combat ability in anticipation of melee combat against the Earth Federation's mobile suits. When needed, the Gyan can receive fire support from the MS-09B Doms or MS-09R Rick Doms. However, its focus on close combat resulted in lower versatility and this contributed to its loss to the Zeonic's MS-14 Gelgoog.
A Gyan (depending on sources, this is either the sole unit produced or one of three produced units) was later customized for use by Colonel M'Quve of the Mobile Assault Force. A powerful beam saber serves as Gyan's primary weapon, it also has a shield with 60 needle missiles and 25 hide bombs (space mines) for laying traps. The appearance of the Gyan, with its silver armor and Pickelhaube helmet design, has a strong resemblance to a medieval armored knight. This is further emphasized by M'Quve's fighting style, which is heavily based on fencing.
- Beam Saber
- Gyan's primary weapon, the beam saber has a higher output than the Earth Federation Forces' beam sabers, and is specialized for piercing/stabbing attack rather than cutting. It uses Minovsky particles held in place by an I-Field to form an effective cutting surface that can slice through nearly any material.
- Missile Shield
- The Gyan is equipped with a large circular shield that not only defend it from beam weapons, but also has offensive capabilities in the form of needle missiles and hide bombs stored within. However, the storing of weapons does lower the shield's defensive capabilities, making it weaker than other standard mobile suit-use shields.
- Hide Bomb
- A type of space mine (space version of the naval mine), 25 of them are stored in the missile shield. The hide bombs freely floats around in space once deployed, damaging any Mobile Suit that come near them.
Special Equipment & Features
- Fluid Pulse Accelerator
- A cylindrical unit located in the Gyan's crotch, the fluid pulse accelerator stores excess pressure generated by the reactor, transmitting it to each actuator when needed. This greatly improves the responsiveness and torque of the Gyan's feet, allowing it to repeatedly move forward and backward, similar to fencing footwork. In the event of damage, it can be immediately ejected.
After the fall of Solomon, M'Quve boarded the Gyan and plotted to destroy the Earth Federation's advanced RX-78-2 Gundam. The plan was to lure the Gundam into Side 5's Loum Shoal Zone, specifically to the abandoned Texas colony, where M'Quve used the hide bombs and space mines to lay a series of traps. However, these traps proved inadequate and M'Quve was forced to fight the Gundam directly using the Gyan. This would be the only time the Gyan saw combat as it was destroyed in the battle, with M'Quve also killed. The Zeon forces later sided with the Zeonic Company's more powerful, and beam rifle equipped MS-14 Gelgoog.
In the Mobile Suit Gundam compilation movie, which was released after the anime, the YMS-15 Gyan is edited out. In the manga Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Deleted Affair: Portrait Of Young Comet M'Quve and the Gyan are seen (indicating its events are based on the movie and not the anime) during the Battle of A Baoa Qu. Knowing of Kycilia Zabi's death, though not knowing the details, M'Quve saw the fortress as lost. He set into motion an evacuation plan for the wife of Dozle Zabi, Zenna Zabi and her daughter Mineva Lao Zabi. While a Gelgoog piloted by Char and a Gwazine-class acted as a distraction, M'Quve used the Gyan to escort a booster-equipped Komusai shuttle that held the Zabi family members. However, the Gyan was caught in a last-minute attack from a Magellan and subsequently destroyed.
- AMX-104 R-Jarja
- MS-15A Gyan Mass Production Type
- MS-15B Gyan High Mobility Type
- MS-15C Gyan Cannon
- MS-15F Gyan Marine
- MS-15Fs Gyan Marine Commander Type
- MS-15K Gyan Kai
- MS-15Kg Gyan Krieger
- MS-15PLUS Gyan EX
- MS-15(EXAM) Gyan
- MS-17 Galbaldy α
- OMS-15RF RF Gyan
- YMS-15E Gyan Eos
- YMS-15SS Gyan
- Gyan Tateo Sazaki Custom
- A customized Gyan Gunpla built and operated by Tateo Sazaki, it has a metallic silver and dark gray color scheme with some red on its torso and missile shield. It retains the standard armament of the Gyan.
- At one point, the Gyan was going to be named "Hakuji".
- The Gyan is one of the first mobile suits, if not the first, to incorporate weapon function into a shield, a trait that would become more common in later mobile suits.
- In some Gundam strategy games, most notably the Gihren's Greed series, it is possible for Zeon players to mass produce the Gyan instead of the Gelgoog. Doing so grants access to a wide range of Gyan variants, roughly corresponding to the Gelgoog's variants.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 MG Gyan instruction manual
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 1/144 HGUC Gyan (Revive) manual
- ↑ Mobile Suit Variation 2, p.104
- ↑ Mobile Suit Gundam MSV Collection File: Space Edition, p. 98
- ↑ http://gundam.aeug.org/archives/1999/01/1156.html