Technology & Combat Characteristics
The YMS-07A is prototype ground mobile suit of the Principality of Zeon, and was developed based on the MS-06J Zaku II Ground Type. Besides an emphasis on ground combat performance, the Prototype Gouf was also designed for battling other mobile suits, and as such it has improved mobility and enhanced armor. Other characteristics of the mobile suit included spiked armor on both shoulder, a mono-eye sensor that can rotate 360 degrees around the head, and a head-mounted blade antenna. As a prototype, remnants of the Zaku II J-Type can be seen in the power pipes in the legs. The Prototype Gouf is also lighter than the J-Type, and this resulted in extra space inside its body. Multiple versions of the Prototype Gouf were produced, and for the third and later models, the extra space was used to mount finger machine guns and the heat rod as fixed armaments.
- M-120A1 120mm Machine Gun
- The same portable firearm used by the Zaku II. It can switch between semi-automatic and automatic fire. Although useless against Luna Titanium Alloy, it can still destroy weaker armor material with multiple shots. It fires 120mm caliber rounds that are stored in a 100-rounds drum magazine.
- H&L-SB25K/280mmA-P Zaku Bazooka
- A portable, physical projectile-type firearm. It is primarily for anti-ship combat and displays its power in hit and run attacks. It can also be used against enemy mobile suits, but it is harder to hit a constantly moving target.
- A defensive armament that can be attached to the left forearm. Its main purpose is to defend in close combat rather than at long range.
The Prototype Gouf was developed in competition with the YMS-08A High Mobility Test Type, but the YMS-08A's data was later integrated into the Prototype Gouf's development plan when the machine failed to meet expectations. After completing test operations, the Prototype Goufs produced were used as the base for further development plans, or was equipped for actual combat before being deployed to the front lines.
Notes and Trivia