Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Bell Factory's YMS-02 Union Blast was one of two prototype mobile suits competing to be the Union's next generation, general-purpose transformable mobile suit succeeding the VMS-15 Union Realdo. The Union Blast was a power-up version of the Union Realdo, inheriting the latter's aerial combat focused design concept, and has enhanced output and turning performance. Thus, its performance in Flight Mode and during aerial combat were superior to those of its competitor, the YMS-01A Union Flag.
On the other hand, its performance in Mobile Suit Mode and in multirole usage were inferior, leading to it having an overall poorer performance than the Union Flag. Furthermore, the Union Blast's development cost was extremely high – a minus point for a next generation machine. Aware of the Union Blast's disadvantageous position in the competition, Bell Factory appointed the Union's top gun and living legend, Major Sleg Sletcher, as the mobile suit's test pilot. Its known weapons include a defense rod and a linear rifle.
- Defense Rod
- Mounted on the forearm, it is a rod-shaped defensive armament. It is able to deflect/ricochet enemy's projectiles via rotary motion. Does not seem to be equipped during Flight Mode
- Linear Rifle
- A handheld rifle that fires electromagnetically-accelerated rounds, it is attached to the nose unit during Flight Mode.
In AD 2304, YMS-02 Union Blast competed wit the Iris Corporation's YMS-01A Union Flag to become the next mainstay mobile suit for the Union. A mock battle was held as part of the competition, and the Union Blast was piloted by the famous Sleg Sletcher while the Union Flag was piloted by then unknown Graham Aker. Despite this, Graham managed to get the upper hand during the mock battle.
As the mock battle came to a close, Sleg attempted to crash his Union Blast into Graham's Union Flag in a desperate attempt to win. However, Graham countered by speedily transforming his Union Flag into Mobile Suit Mode via his 'Graham Special', and then using his machine's Sonic Blade to slice off one of the Union Blast's wings. The Union Blast then crashed into the ground, killing Sleg. Subsequently, the Union Flag won the competition and the Union Blast was decommissioned.
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 Mobile Suit Gundam 00N Chapter 12
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 'Mobile Suit Illustrated 2013 [Popular Edition]' Book
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 'Dengeki Data Collection - Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Side Stories' Book
- ↑ Mobile Suit Gundam 00P Second Season Celestial Being (Krung Thep) Development Report – VMS-15 Union Realdo
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Gundam 00 Another Story: Road to 2307
- Although it is said that the GNX-903VS Brave (Standard Test Type) and GNX-903VW Brave (Commander Test Type)'s folding of the arms to the rear in flight mode is new and revolutionary, the method was first used by YMS-02 Union Blast, and later by both SVMS-01E Union Flag Graham Aker Custom and SVMS-01O Over Flag in their high speed flight mode.
|Mobile Suit Gundam 00N Mechanics|
|United Nations Forces / Earth Sphere Federation / Innovators|
GNMS-XCVII Alvaaron | GNW-20000 Arche Gundam | GNX-603T GN-X | GNX-609T GN-XIII | GNX-803T GN-XIV | GNZ-004/BW Gaga Cannon | SVMS-01O Over Flag
GNMA-0001V2 Regnant 2 | GNMA-XCVII Alvatore | GNMA-Y0001 Empruss
AEU-05G AEU Hellion Ground Type
|Extraterrestrial Living-metal Shape-shifter|
GNT-0000 00 Qan［T］
|Union of Solar Energy and Free Nations|
SVMS-01AS Union Flag Aerotype Sky Package | VMS-15 Union Realdo | YMS-01A Union Flag | YMS-02 Union Blast
|Advanced European Union|
AEU-09 AEU Enact
|Human Reform League|