Technology & Combat Characteristics
One of the new mobile armors used by the Earth Alliance during the second war, the Zamza-Zah is much bigger, heavier and more heavily armed than its predecessor, the TS-MA2 Moebius. This large MA is capable of atmospheric flight and is surprisingly mobile despite its size. It can also be used in space and is controlled by three crew members consisting of one commander, one pilot and one gunner. Due to its unique design and weaponry, the Zamza-Zah can attack enemy units in any directions and range. Each of the MA's four limbs are equipped with a hyper-oscillation crusher, a cannon, a multi-phase energy cannon, and four CIWS, while the main body is equipped with four low-pressure guns at the sides. For defense, the MA can emit a powerful positron reflector shield from the three protrusions on the top surface that is capable of blocking attacks from a positron blaster cannon. Thanks to its array of weapons, the Zamza-Zah has no problem taking on an enemy MS team by itself.
- 75mm Automatic Multi-barrel CIWS
- To defend itself against incoming enemy attacks (such as missiles), 16 75mm automatic multi-barrel CIWS "Igelstellung" units are equipped on the Zamza-Zah, with four guns mounted on each leg.
- GAU111 Cannon
- Mounted on top of each leg, the GAU11 cannon can pivot up or down.
- M534 "Gamzatov" Multi-phase Energy Cannon
- The most powerful ranged weapon of the Zamza-Zah are four M534 "Gamzatov" multi-phase energy cannons, one mounted in each leg. Due to their position, they can fire in different directions at once or combine their firepower on one target by pointing the legs downwards. However, these cannons can only be used when the hyper-oscillation crushers are retracted as they are mounted behind the crushers.
- Mk79 Low-pressure Gun
- Four Mk79 low-pressure guns are mounted on the sides of the Zamza-Zah, two on the left and two on the right.
- "Schneid Schutz" SX1021 Positron Reflector Shield
- For defense, the Zamza-Zah is equipped with a "Schneid Schutz" SX1021 positron reflector shield that is strong enough to deflect the positron cannon blast from ZAFT's Minerva. The shield is generated by the three protrusions on the top surface of the MA, as such the Zamza-Zah has to reposition itself when defending against a frontal attack.
- XM518 "Vasiliev" Hyper-oscillation Crusher
- For close combat, each leg is equipped with a hyper-oscillation crusher that can damage enemy units through the high heat caused by high frequency vibrations. MS protected by Phase Shift armor are able to resist the cutting abilities of the crusher. The crushers cannot be deployed when the multi-phase energy cannons are in use due to their positions.
The Zamza-Zah is the first known model in a new series of mobile armors created by the Adukurf Mechano-Industries for the Earth Alliance. The Zamza-Zah was deployed in CE 73 by a fleet of Earth Alliance ships just outside of Orb Union territorial waters, to attack the Minerva as a field test of the new weapon. In the ensuing battle, it deflected a shot from Minerva's "Tannhäuser" positron cannon and proved a substantial challenge for Shinn Asuka's ZGMF-X56S/α Force Impulse Gundam. Although it ripped away Force Impulse's right leg with one of its claws, it was ultimately destroyed when Shinn went into SEED mode and stabbed the mobile armor through the cockpit with a beam saber.
Later in space, two Zamza-Zahs were deployed to defend the Alliance's Daedalus lunar base, and one more at the Fauré relay station for the base's Requiem cannon. However, they were no match for ZAFT's latest mobile suits and were quickly destroyed. During the battle at Messiah, multiple Zamza-Zahs and YMAG-X7F Gells-Ghes were part of the Earth Alliance forces which volunteered to join the Orb National Defense Space Force. They were responsible for serving as the vanguard of the fleet, protecting the rest of the fleet with their positron reflectors.
Notes & Trivia
- The Zamza-Zah seems to be inspired by the Big Zam from Mobile Suit Gundam and likewise shares many characteristics such as a predominantly green color scheme, a crew of 3 operating it, overwhelming firepower, high defense from ranged attacks, and the first appearance of both being taken down by the protagonist's Gundam with the use of a beam saber.
- The cockpit of the Zamza-Zah, as well as the Gells-Ghe's, is similar to the cockpit found in the Cylon Raider of the 1978 Battlestar Galactica.
- In the Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Battle Destiny video game, the Zamza-Zah appears in the missions where Gells-Ghe should have been in, since the latter does not appear in the game.
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny MSV Field 03: Lunar Orbit - Messiah vicinity