The XXXG-01S Shenlong Gundam (aka Shenlong, Nataku, or Gundam Zero-Five) is mobile suit featured in Mobile Suit Gundam Wing. Piloted by Chang Wufei, it was later upgraded into XXXG-01S2 Altron Gundam.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Shenlong Gundam is built by Master O of the L5 Colonies. Reflecting the philosophy of Master O who specializes in machine's drive systems, the Shenlong excels in close combat and has high agility. For this reason, it has the highest level of fighting ability out of the five Gundams, with its joints' range of motion enough to reproduce Chinese martial arts. Its primary armament consisted of head mounted vulcans, a Chinese/Japanese style "beam glaive" (a "beam trident" in EW Ver.), a shield on the left arm, and a Chinese inspired "dragon fang" on the right arm.
- Vulcan Gun
- A pair of shell-firing armament built into the head. Low offensive power, only used to restrict enemy movement, and lay down a wall of suppressive fire due to their rapid fire capability.
- Beam Glaive
- A javelin-style weapon stored on the Shenlong Gundam's back. The beam blade at its tip can pierce its target's weak spots with pinpoint precision. The Katoki version replaced this weapon replaced with a single-ended beam trident.
- Beam Trident
- Used by the Katoki version, it is similar to the beam glaive but the beam blade emitted is larger and shaped similar to a trident. Stored on the back when not in use.
- Dragon Fang
- A claw-like weapon shaped like a dragon's head, it is mounted on the right arm and flips forward when in use. In the TV Version, the dragon fang can be extended for medium-range combat as the right arm has additional segments folded in the shoulder. In the Katoki version, the dragon fang is much larger but non-extendable as the right arm is of the standard design. In both versions, it is often used for crushing enemies and mounts a pair of flamethrowers, adding to the dragon motif.
- These short-to-medium range weapons fire from the pair of nozzles built into the sides of the dragon fang. They can be used as part of the deadly "dragon fang fire" attack, in which the Shenlong Gundam seizes its target with the dragon fang and then fires a burst from the flamethrowers, melting the enemy's armor.
- Shenlong Shield
- The simple and compact design of this shield attests to the mobile suit's emphasis on melee combat. It can also be thrown as an offensive weapon.
- An additional weapon for the Katoki version, making its debut in Gundam Wing - Endless Waltz: The Glory of Losers. This sword is connected to the Shenlong Shield via a cable attached to the bottom of the hilt.
- Beam Saber
- A close combat weapon that emits a blade-shaped beam for melting and cutting through armor. This equipment was used in New Mobile Report Gundam Wing: Episode Zero, due to lack of other weaponry.
- Dober Gun
- A weapon borrowed from Meilan Long's OZ-00MS Tallgeese, it is an accurate, high-powered, long range gun. This powerful weapon is clip-fed and has a huge recoil when fired.
- Beam Cannon
- A large, long range weapon originally used by the OZ-12SMS Taurus, it fires a powerful beam that can destroy even Gundanium armor.
Special Equipment & Features
- Fighting Sight
- A unique system installed in the shoulders and chest. During combat, it instantly calculates the precise position, movement, and weak points of an opponent.
- Self-Destruct System
- The Shenlong Gundam was built to self-destruct should the pilot choose to. A remote detonator is placed within the cockpit and if a dire situation arrives, the pilot can destroy the Mobile Suit. The system was designed to overload its power systems and has enough explosive power to destroy several city blocks. It's a last option tactic if the pilot is incapable of protecting the Mobile Suit, while not allowing it to fall into enemy hands. It also can be used as one large explosive device to eradicate large targets.
The Gundam called Shenlong was design and constructed by Master O somewhere in the L5 colony cluster. As the Shenlong Gundam was nearing completion, Meilan Long (Wufei's wife) had taken the name of "Nataku", took a mobile suit, another OZ-00MS Tallgeese unit, nicknamed 'Shilong', when the colony was attacked. Nataku piloted the Tallgeese out into space to defend the colony, the ensuing battle took its toll on Nataku and she later died in Wufei's arms. Her death caused Wufei to take up the job of piloting Shenlong against the United Earth Sphere Alliance and OZ. Throughout the series, Wufei affectionately called the Shenlong Gundam "Nataku" after his deceased wife.
Notes & Trivia
- The initial design draft of the Shenlong Gundam was to follow the nationality trend from Mobile Fighter G Gundam. Shenlong Gundam's design was Chinese and was based on the GF13-011NC Dragon Gundam. Notably, the second draft has a shield similar to XXXG-01D Gundam Deathscythe's Buster Shield with three physical blades and the dragon fang is mounted on the left arm instead of the right arm in the final design.
- "Shenlong" literally means "god dragon" in Chinese.
- The Shenlong Gundam was the only Gundam of the original five to not feature any clavicle-mounted weaponry such as missiles or machine guns.
- In its incomplete form (as seen in Episode Zero), the Shenlong did not feature its dragon fang arm, possessing a normal right arm and shoulder armor similar to its left side.
- The dragon and flame motifs may be a reference to Nezha, a Chinese war god. This can be further seen with it being referred to as Nataku, which is a name for him in the Japanese language.
- Japanese Gundam Wikia
- XXXG-01S Shenlong Gundam on MAHQ.net
- XXXG-01S Shenlong Gundam on Wikipedia
- XXXG-01S Shenlong Gundam on GundamOfficial.com
OZ-06MS Leo | OZ-10VMSX Gundam Aesculapius | OZ-19MASX Gundam Griepe | OZX-GU01A Gundam Geminass 01 | OZX-GU01LOB Gundam L.O. Booster | OZX-GU02A Gundam Geminass 02
|Organization of the Zodiac / OZ Prize|
EWAC Leo | OZ-06MS Leo | OZ-06MS-SN3 Leo-N | OZ-06MS-SR2 Leo-R | OZ-06MS-SS1 Leo-S | OZ-10VMSX Gundam Aesculapius | OZ-10VMSX-2 Gundam Burnlapius | OZ-12SMS Taurus | OZ-13MSX1B-S Vayeate Suivant | OZ-13MSX2B-S Mercurius Suivant | OZ-15AGX Hydra Gundam | OZ-19MASX Gundam Griepe
Bulge | Grand Chariot
|United Earth Sphere Alliance|
OZ-13MS Gundam Epyon
WF-02MD Virgo II
XXXG-01S Shenlong Gundam | XXXG-01W Wing Gundam