Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Wing Zero was based on the Zero Frame technology developed by The Gundam Scientists, which was an inner frame with all the necessary components for the mobile suit to operate, completely separate from the armor platings and energy conduits for weapons. The performance of the frame itself surpasses that of the OZ-00MS Tallgeese, and the complete separation of armor and internal structure allows the Wing Zero to continue fighting after losing up to 90% of its armor.
In The Glory of Losers manga, the Wing Zero is developed from the wreckage of the destroyed Wing Proto Zero, and upgraded with wing binders from the OZ-00MS Tallgeese Flugel. It combines the armament and equipment of the TV version and the EW version, such as having a shield.
- Twin Buster Rifle
- A double-barrel type Buster Rifle. It has more than twice the power of the Buster Rifle equipped by the Wing Gundam. In the Neo Bird Mode, it is equipped on both sides of the Shield in a divided state. It is a type directly connected to the generator so rapid fire is also possible.
- Beam Saber
- Slashing equipment for close combat. Since it adopts devices made of Gundanium alloy in every part; the power, function, durability, etc are exceptionally improved compared to those of ordinary MS. One apiece is stored in both of the two smaller rear wings.
- Machine Cannon
- Located on the shoulders, the two cannons are short to medium range weapons. They are capable of rapid fire thanks to internal drum structure. They are covered when not it use.
- Used in The Glory of Losers manga. It is developed by Mike Howard when he finishes upgrading the Wing Zero and the other Gundams for proper use it space. Like the Proto Zero's shield, it is made of Gundanium alloy. In addition to being applied with anti-beam coating, it is equipped with Wing Vulcans on both ends. It becomes the nose in Neo Bird Mode, having excellent aerodynamic performance in the atmosphere and also functions as a ram when charging.
- Drei Zwerg
- Used in The Glory of Losers manga. When the wreckage of Libra was crashing the Earth, Wufei brought the Drei Zwerg to Heero to enhance the Twin Buster Rifle, allowing him to destroy the superweapon before it could collide with the planet.
- Wing Unit
- When the OZ-00MS Tallgeese Flugel is decommissioned, its four angelic-style wing binders are repurposed onto the new Wing Zero. The two larger wings can be used a shields, as well as be used to protect the Wing Zero during atmospheric reentry.
- Booster Unit
- A spherical booster unit that can be attached to the Wing Gundam Zero for interplanetary flight. It is speculated that this unit was prepared for the Mars terraforming project. During Mariemaia's Rebellion, this unit was used to deliver the Wing Zero to Heero by Quatre.
- Self-Destruct System
- Wing Gundam Zero was built to self-destruct should the pilot choose to. A remote detonator is placed within the cockpit and if a dire situation arrives, the pilot can destroy the Gundam. The system was designed to overload its power systems and has enough explosive power to destroy several city blocks. It's a last option tactic if the pilot is incapable of protecting the Gundam, while not allowing it to fall into enemy hands. It also can be used as one large explosive device to eradicate large targets.
- An interface for achieving the "perfect victory", developed to make the pilot keep up with a machine performance that surpasses the Tallgeese. Since it seriously affects the physical functions and mental state of the pilot, a person without strong mental strength can't control it.
The Glory of Losers
Following the self destruction of the XXXG-00W0 Wing Proto Zero and the decommissioning of the OZ-00MS Tallgeese Flugel, Mike Howard repaired and upgraded the Proto Zero into the XXXG-00W0 Wing Gundam Zero, using the wing binders and other parts from the damaged Tallgeese Flugel to complete the modifications. Armed with the new Mobile Suit, Zechs Merquise raced to Earth to defend the Sanc Kingdom. He was however drawn into battle against Heero Yuy piloting the OZ-13MS Gundam Epyon. Both pilots, under the influence of the ZERO System of their respective fighters, recognized each other immediately and dueled fiercely. Neither pilot nor machine took any major damage, and after a clash, both Heero and Zechs were overcome with esoteric hallucinations caused by the ZERO System. Particularly, Zechs was troubled by what he interpreted as him destroying the Earth with Wing Zero. Because of this, the pilots decided to switch Mobile Suits, with Heero taking the Wing Zero.
Later on, Heero would use Wing Zero to save a colony that was under attack by OZ. This very colony was where Trowa Barton, Catherine Bloom, and their circus family lived. Upon seeing Wing Zero, Trowa's instincts kicked in, alerting him to a danger he did not understand. However, Heero informed him that Gundam Heavyarms was waiting for Trowa to use to save his family. Together, both pilots fought the occupying OZ forces, with the Heavyarms taking a fair bit of damage.
After the battle, the Wing Zero flew the Heavyarms to the Peacemillion, where Mike Howard and his crew repaired and upgraded the five Gundams for space combat. The Wing Zero received a fine-tuned shield from the upgrade process, allowing it to transform into Neo-Bird Mode. With their newly repaired, upgraded, and resupplied Gundams, the G-Team alongside Lucrezia Noin would then sortie to face the White Fang's Mobile Doll army of WF-02MD Virgo IIs. Part way through the battle, Heero noticed Zechs - now Milliardo - in his Gundam Epyon joining the battlefield, and left to go face him.
After clashing with Milliardo several times throughout the Eve Wars, Heero would eventually emerge victorious and go on to attempt to destroy the engine generator of Libra. However, his beam saber and machine cannons were spent and was without his Twin Buster Rifle, having been disarmed of it in the duel. Thus, leaving Heero with self detonating the Wing Zero as the only option. Before he could, Milliardo in the damaged Epyon showed up one last time, using the full power of the Strum und Drang Zweihander mode of the Epyon to destroy the engines himself, and seemingly sacrificing himself so that Heero could live. Unfortunately, the Epyon's sacrifice wasn't enough, as a large section of Libra was still falling to Earth. Wufei in the Altron Gundam bursts through the wall of the section Heero was in, carrying the dropped Twin Buster Rifle equipped with the Messer Zwergs. Heero then flew out in front of the Libra section plummeting toward the planet and fired the modified Twin Buster Rifle through the section, destroying it, and saving the Earth.
Following the events of the series, four of the Gundams, including Wing Zero, are collected and sent towards the sun for disposal. When the Barton Foundation, led by Mariemaia Khushrenada, begins to perform the original Operation Meteor, Quatre sets out to retrieve the four Gundams, sending Wing Zero to rendezvous in space with Heero, following his efforts to prevent the de-orbiting of Colony L3 X-18999.
After retrieving Wing Zero, Heero flies to Earth to save the kidnapped Relena Darlian, but is intercepted by Wufei in the Altron Gundam (who is on the side of the Mariemaia Army), and the two Gundams duel each other above Earth's orbit. During the battle, Heero doesn't fight to his fullest extent (due to him believing the duel to be pointless) and Wing Zero receives heavy damage from both Altron and the re-entry into Earth's atmosphere. Eventually, Heero gives up the fight and causes Wing Zero to sink into the ocean, at which point Wufei comes to his senses. Sometime later, however, Wing Zero re-activates on its own and supposedly convinces Heero to complete his mission, yet again implying the Gundam has a mind of its own.
Wing Zero arrives in the sky at Brussels, where the other Gundams are fighting, and Heero aims its twin buster rifle at the shield-protected Presidential Building where Mariemaia and her troops are hiding in. Heero fires the rifle three times with precise accuracy and succeeds in destroying the bunker shields. However, due to its already badly-damaged state, the continuous recoil of the rifle (along with enemy fire from the compound below) proves to be too much for Wing Zero to withstand, causing the Gundam to start falling apart while firing the second shot and then explode altogether while firing the third shot, though the remains of its torso crash to the ground which allows Heero to survive and climb out of the wreckage (although barely able to stand). After Mariemaia's surrender, the rest of the Gundams are also destroyed, along with all other mobile suits.
- Wing Gundam Zero Rebellion
- A customized Wing Gundam Zero that appears in Super Robot Wars DD piloted by Lelouch vi Britannia. It has the color scheme of the Knightmare Frames used by Lelouch. The color of Wing Zero Rebellion has been supervised by Katoki himself.
- Master Grade Wing Gundam Zero (Endless Waltz version) instruction manual
- Mobile Suit Bible 42, p. 7