Technology & Combat Characteristics
Following the successful mass production of the UMF-4A GOOhN, the Clarke Design Bureau began developing another amphibious mobile suit for ZAFT, resulting in the UMF-5 ZnO. While the GOOhN specializes in underwater firepower, the ZnO is designed specifically for close combat, in the expectation that the Earth Alliance would soon develop its own underwater mobile weapons. As a result, the ZnO has a pair of large claws on its flexible arms, and the palm-mounted phonon maser cannons can be used for devastating point-blank attacks. The mobile suit also has a pair of 6-tube torpedo launchers surrounding its head that are used for medium-range attacks. On the battlefield, the ZnO was often deployed with the GOOhN, enabling a wide variety of combat operations.
Like the GOOhN, the ZnO can transform into Cruising Mode to reduce water resistance for high-speed underwater movement. However, not only can the ZnO switch between its MS Mode and Cruising Mode faster than the GOOhN, the ZnO's disc-like Cruising Mode also has better underwater cruising capabilities. The ZnO's head features a large, protruding sensor array, as well as a wide mono-eye rail that enhances the mobile suit's enemy search capabilities in Cruising Mode. Similar to the GOOhN, the Zno is equipped with specialized "Lorenzini Sensor" for sensing while underwater. Thanks to its tough heavy armor, the ZnO has excellent underwater pressure resistance.
- 533mm 6-Tube Torpedo Launcher
- The ZnO featured two 533mm 6-tube torpedo launchers surrounding its head for medium-range attacks and they can be used in both MS mode and Cruising mode. These torpedoes are rocket-propelled and can be used both in and out of the water.
- Close Combat Claw
- The ZnO has two sets of large claws on its hands for close combat. Mainly used in MS mode, these claws are usable on land and in the sea, and have a wide striking range.
- Phonon Maser Cannon
- A powerful sonic weapon that can be used both in and out of the water. The ZnO is equipped with a phonon maser cannon on each palm, allowing for greater accuracy and ease of use than the GOOhN's body-mounted cannons.
Special Equipment & Features
- Lorenzini Sensor
- A specialized sensor modeled after a shark's electroreceptor organs, which are known as Ampullae of Lorenzini. It can detect electrical impulses in the water and are often equipped on underwater mobile suits.
One notable use of the ZnO was on March 13, C.E. 71, during the Second Equatorial Skirmish, where Commander Marco Morassim used his unit to attack the battleship Archangel following his previous failure to destroy the ship. Marco went head-to-head against Kira Yamato and his GAT-X105+AQM/E-X02 Sword Strike Gundam, and while the ZnO's speed initially gave Marco the advantage, Kira defeated him by impaling the ZnO with the Strike's Armor Schneiders, destroying the mobile suit, and killing Marco.
The ZnO remained in service during the Second Alliance-PLANT War, and was used most notably during the Battle of Heaven's Base and Operation Fury, continuing to fight alongside the GOOhN and the newly developed UMF/SSO-3 ASH.
Notes & Trivia
- The ZnO is similar to the Universal Century's MSM-03C Hygogg, both in design and transformation styles.
- Television Series
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
- Episode 23 (HD Remastered Episode 22), Fateful Encounter - (First Appearance)
- Episode 24 (HD Remastered Episode 23), War for Two
- Episode 32 (HD Remastered Episode 30), In the Promised Land
- Episode 33 (HD Remastered Episode 31), Gathering Darkness
- Episode 34 (HD Remastered Episode 32), Seen and Unseen
- Episode 35 (HD Remastered Episode 33), The Descending Sword
- Episode 37 (HD Remastered Episode 35), Divine Thunder
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny
- Mobile Suit Gundam Seed MS Encyclopedia (2008), p32
- Profile on the archived Gundam Official.com website
- Mobile Suit Gundam Seed MS Encyclopedia (2008), p33
- Mobile Suit Gundam Seed C.E. Mechanics & the World (2012), p111
- Lorenzini Sensor information on the archived Gundam Official.com website
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED PHASE-23, Fateful Encounter
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED PHASE-34, Seen and Unseen
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED PHASE-35, The Descending Sword
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED PHASE-37, Divine Thunder
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny PHASE-41, Refrain
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny PHASE-43, A Call for Counterattack