The Trafalgar-class is a space carrier deployed by the Earth Federation Forces. It was first mentioned in Tomino's Mobile Suit Gundam novels and made its animated debut in the video game Mobile Suit Gundam: Gihren's Greed.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Trafalgar-class is a modified Magellan-class with an open flight deck attached to each side. However, its capacity is somewhat limited, as it has only been seen to carry twelve Public-class. As a result, it's classified as an open deck-type support cruiser rather than a regular carrier.
- Twin Mega Particle Gun
- The ship is armed with a dual-barreled beam gun, mounted in a forward firing position on the top of the hull.
- Twin Machine Gun
- The ship is armed with eight twin machine gun turrets, with two mounted on either side of the ship's bridge tower and two more turrets on each of the flight decks.
- 6-tube Missile Launcher
- Equipped on the upper and lower parts of the extension of the bow.
- Large Missile Launch Tube
- Mounted on the outside of each of the ship's launch hangars, similarly designed to missile launchers of the Pegasus-class.
Eight of these of ships were built before the White Base, and were designated as "all-through deck support cruisers". During the One Week Battle, one of these ships was docked at the Side 4 colony Rodinia, but after the colony was attacked by Zeon forces with poison gas, it managed to escape with some of the colony's inhabitants. Because of the possibility that the poison gas was viral and could spread, the ship was banned from docking at other colonies, so the crew took on the name of "Shutendouji" and used the ship as their home ship to make a living through piracy and junk business. The flight deck was modified to allow for the loading and launching of mobile suits. After that, "Shutendouji" went out of business as space pirates, and was reborn as the private military company "Maria Shield" in the year 0085. At that time, the ship was also renamed, and is now operated from Side 6.
Notes & Trivia
- It is named after the Battle Of Trafalgar where the British navy defeated the French and Spanish navies thereby preventing an invasion of Britain itself.