Technology & Combat Characteristics
A mobile suit developed by the ZAFT military as a superior model to the TMF/A-802 BuCUE. The LaGOWE was developed based on the TMF/A-802 P-Mod.W BuCUE Waltfeld Custom Type, and a small number were produced as commander machines. As it was intended to have performance and attack power that surpassed that of the BuCUE, the size of the machine has been increased. It uses data obtained from the GAT-X series captured by the ZAFT military, and is equipped with beam weapons as part of its standard armament. In order to operate this beam weapon effectively, it was decided from the beginning of development that the cockpit would be a double-seat type for a pilot and a gunner.
Thruster rockets and jet engines have been added to cope with the increased weight associated with the larger size and to ensure a high level of maneuverability, but this also caused the control system to become more complex. However, the double-seat configuration allows the pilot to concentrate on piloting, allowing the LaGOWE to display greater mobility and maneuverability than the BuCUE. It is armed with a twin beam cannon on its back-mounted turret for improved bombardment capability, as well as a twin beam saber in the head and claws in the front legs for improved close combat capability. The combination of the sensor eye and two large antennas on its head helps the mobile suit to get a grasp on the battlefield situation swiftly.
- Twin Beam Saber
- A close combat beam weapon mounted in the head. It was later adopted by the late production version of the BuCUE. The LaGOWE's twin beam saber is of a slightly different design from the BuCUE's, featuring better output and stability.
- The second close combat weaponry on the suit are claws mounted on each leg that are sharp enough to penetrate normal armor. The claws serve to increase the suit's close combat capabilities.
- Twin Beam Cannon
- A twin barreled beam cannon mounted on the back turret, it served as the LaGOWE's main weapon. It has a high output since it is powered by the large generator in the main body. A dedicated gunner operates this weapon to maximize its capabilities.
The first LaGOWE was assigned to "Desert Tiger" Andrew Waltfeld, whose lover Aisha served as his gunner. It fought with the GAT-X105 Strike Gundam, but was defeated. Waltfeld survived, but lost his left arm and eye, while Aisha died in the battle. Later in the war, three LaGOWEs engaged Rena Imelia's GAT/A-01E2 Buster Dagger, which was receiving support from Edward Harrelson's GAT-333 Raider Full Spec. All three LaGOWEs were destroyed by Imelia.
- LaGOWE High Maneuver
- Appearing in the manga, Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Re:, it is an enhanced LaGOWE featuring additional weapons, and improved mobility via the use of the ZGMF-1017M GINN High Maneuver Type's thruster engines in its wings. The additional weapons are in the form of added cannons and beam sabers on the wings, and added beam fangs on the head. An anchor launcher, in the form of an extendable tail, is also added to the unit's back, above the back thruster.
NOTE: Most of the screencaps below are from the original 4:3 aspect ratio versions of the TV Anime, while other screencaps from the Special Edition/HD Remastered Version will feature some additionally drawn details.
Notes & Trivia
- Mitsuo Fukuda's previous anime, Gear Fighter Dendoh, also has a winged quadruped monster called Lagowe.
- In Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Battle Destiny, the LaGOWE also has the BuCUE's ability to disable lock-on using a smoke screen and confuse it by taunting.
- The LaGOWE appears in the Extreme Vs. series piloted by Andrew Waltfeld and Aisha as a 1000 cost unit in Full Boost and at 1500 cost in Maxi Boost onwards. The LaGOWE acts as a ground running unit and its only ranged weapon are its twin beam cannons, which can either fire a single shot or fire three consecutive shots at once. In Extreme Vs 2, the beam cannon can be charged to fire a concentrated shot that is faster and more powerful. To compensate for the LaGOWE's lack of variety in its weaponry, the beam cannons have a high ammo count and recharge time and the unit moves relatively fast compared to other ground runners like the Acguy and the Hildolfr. Waltfeld can also summon up to three BuCUEs at a time to chase after an opponent. For its burst attack, the LaGOWE will launch the opponent upward before drilling them down with the LaGOWE's beam saber and sending three BuCUEs to maul the opponent. In Extreme Vs 2, this was changed to have the LaGOWE repeatedly strike the opponent high into the air before grabbing the opponent and slamming them down.