Technology & Combat Characteristics
An enhanced version of the mass-produced TMF/A-802 BuCUE, the LaGOWE was developed by ZAFT via the TMF/A-802 P-Mod.W BuCUE Waltfeld Custom Type. The LaGOWE inherits the four-legged, caterpillar-tread equipped design of the BuCUE, granting it easy and nimble movements on difficult terrains as well as high speed when travelling on terrains such a sandy deserts or snowy fields.
Thanks to the use of technology from the stolen G Project mobile suits, the LaGOWE has beam weaponry in the form of twin beam saber in its mouth and a pair of beam cannons on its back turret, in addition to the claws on its feet. However, the beam weaponry and associated systems caused the LaGOWE to be larger than the BuCUE, complicating its control systems. To overcome this, the LaGOWE's cockpit is changed to a two-seater to accommodate a pilot and a gunner.
Besides having higher firepower, the LaGOWE is also more maneuverable than the BuCUE despite its larger size and this is thanks to the redesigned legs and additional thrusters on the wings and back. The suit also has enhanced sensor system in the enlarged antennas on the sides of the head. This high performance machine is mainly assigned to commanders.
- Twin beam saber
- Developed after studying the G Project mobile suits, it is mounted in the mouth, and is primarily used for hit and run attacks, in which the suit hits an enemy unit as it charges forward. The LaGOWE's twin beam saber is of a slightly different design from the BuCUE's.
- The second close combat weaponry on the suit, two claws are mounted on each leg and they are sharp enough to penetrate normal armor. The claws serve to increase the suit's close combat capabilities.
- Twin Beam Cannon
- Mounted on the back turret, it was developed after studying the G Project mobile suits like the twin beam saber. Powered by the LaGOWE's battery, the twin beam cannon is the suit's main weapon and gives it the ability to damage PS armored MS during ranged combat. A dedicated gunner operates this weapon to maximize its capabilities.
The first LaGOWE was assigned to "Desert Tiger" Andrew Waltfeld, whose lover Aisha served as his gunner. It fought with the GAT-X105 Strike Gundam, but was defeated. Waltfeld survived, but lost his left arm and eye, while Aisha died in the battle. Later in the war, three LaGOWEs engaged Rena Imelia's GAT/A-01E2 Buster Dagger, which was receiving support from Edward Harrelson's GAT-333 Raider Full Spec. All three LaGOWEs were destroyed by Imelia.
- LaGOWE High Maneuver
- Appearing in the manga, Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Re:, it is an enhanced LaGOWE featuring additional weapons, and improved mobility via the use of the ZGMF-1017M GINN High Maneuver Type's thruster engines in its wings. The additional weapons are in the form of added cannons and beam sabers on the wings, and added beam fangs on the head. An anchor launcher, in the form of an extendable tail, is also added to the unit's back, above the back thruster.
Notes & Trivia
- Mitsuo Fukuda's previous anime, Gear Fighter Dendoh, also has a winged quadruped monster called Lagowe.
- In Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Battle Destiny, the LaGOWE also has the BuCUE's ability to disable lock-on using a smoke screen and confuse it by taunting.