Technology & Combat Characteristics
The TMF/A-802 BuCUE is a mobile suit designed for ground combat and unlike other ZAFT mobile suits, it is a quadruped machine. The four-legged design distributes the weight of the BuCUE, giving it greater balance and the ability to move on irregular or difficult terrains on earth much more easily and nimbly than standard two-legged MS. Additionally, each leg is equipped with a caterpillar-treads. BuCUE can enter a "tank-mode" by crouching down and moving on these treads, giving it greater speed when travelling on terrains such a sandy deserts or snowy fields.
As the BuCUE does not have manipulator hands they cannot use standard mobile suits weapons. Instead, the BuCUE possess a turret on its back that can mount either a twin 450mm railgun or a 13-tube 400mm missile pod for ranged combat. These were originally the BuCUE's only weapons. After ZAFT's theft and study of the G Project mobile suits, the BuCUE was upgraded with a head-mounted twin beam saber, allowing it to charge at an enemy unit and cut it in half. In terms of defense, the BuCUE's armor is able to withstand impacts from conventional hand weapons, such as RPGs.
- Twin 450mm Railgun
- One of two weapons that can be mounted on the turret on the suit's back, this two barrel railgun use electricity, rather than gunpowder, to accelerate the projectiles, giving them a stronger impact and longer range than other weaponry. Due to the BuCUE's quadruped design, it is able to fire the railgun steadily, without worry of recoil or kickback.
- 13-Tube 400mm Missile Pod
- The other weapon that can be mounted on the turret on the suit's back, it contains missiles that are larger and stronger than the missiles used by most mobile suits. Andrew Waltfield calculated it would take exactly 76 of such missiles to drain the Strike Gundam's Phase Shift.
- Twin Beam Saber
- The suit's primary melee weapon and only beam weapon, it is a later addition to the suit. Mounted in the mouth, it is primarily used for hit and run attacks, in which the suit hits an enemy unit as it charges forward.
While invading Earth during the First Alliance-PLANT War, ZAFT created the BuCUE, a quadrupedal mobile suit used for ground combat, and it soon became one of the key factors in planetary battle operations. After the Archangel descended down to Earth and landed in Africa, several BuCUEs attacked the ship and caused trouble for it and its only mobile suit, the GAT-X105 Strike Gundam, until Strike's pilot Kira Yamato was able to adjust to the new terrain. BuCUEs were later deployed in large numbers during Operation Spit Break, the attack on the EA headquarter JOSH-A.
Based on the BuCUE, ZAFT also created the TMF/A-802 P-Mod.W BuCUE Waltfeld Custom Type, which served as a testbed for the commander version TMF/A-803 LaGOWE. Another variant produced was the TMF/TR-2 BuCUE Tactical Reconnaissance Type, which was used for recon missions.
In CE 73, the BuCUEs were still used in large numbers during the Second Alliance-PLANT War, for example in battle against the massive EA mobile armor GFAS-X1 Destroy Gundam. During this time, a more advanced version of the BuCUE was introduced, the TMF/A-802W2 Kerberos BuCUE Hound, which proved to be a formidable opponent even for ace pilots.
Notes and Trivia
- In the Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Battle Destiny video game, the BuCUE has the ability to disable lock-on using a smoke screen despite not having smoke dispensers as standard equipment.
|Mobile Suit Gundam SEED C.E. 73: STARGAZER Mechanics|
GAT-01A2R Slaughter Dagger | GAT-X103AP Verde Buster Gundam | GAT-X105E+AQM/E-X09S Strike Noir Gundam | GAT-X1022 Blu Duel Gundam | GFAS-X1 Destroy Gundam
|Aircraft / Spacecraft|
|Transporter / Supply Ship|
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
TFA-4DE GAZuOOT | TMF/A-802 BuCUE | TMF/A-802W2 Kerberos BuCUE Hound | ZGMF-1000/A1 Gunner ZAKU Warrior | ZGMF-1000/K Slash ZAKU Warrior | ZGMF-1000/M Blaze ZAKU Warrior | ZGMF-1017 GINN
GSX-401FW Stargazer Gundam | UT-1D Civilian Astray DSSD Custom
ZGMF-1017 GINN Insurgent Type