The Spengler-class is a naval carrier in the Cosmic Era timeline.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Spengler-class mobile assault landing ship is the largest naval vessel used by the Earth Alliance. It is designed for amphibious invasion, but also serves as a highly effective aircraft carrier, using the Earth Alliance's F-7D Spearhead VTOL (vertical take off and landing) fighters. In CE 71, the Spengler-class was converted to support mobile suits, with two large gates on each side of its hangar for the six mobile suits to exit. The flight deck and rear fighter hanger could also be used to carry additional mobile suits in the place of some or all of the fighter complement. The refitted ships are effective, but cramped, mobile suit carriers. The Spengler’s hangar could also forgo its six mobile suits to carry a mobile armor.
- Ship-to-Air Beam System
- "Igelstellung" 75mm multi-barrel Anti-Air CIWS
- Missile Launcher
Several Spengler-class assault ships participated in the Battle of Orb in C.E. 71, supervised by Blue Cosmos leader Muruta Azrael aboard the flagship Powell. The Powell replaced 3 of the standard GAT-01 Strike Daggers with Azrael's prototype GAT-X131 Calamity Gundam, GAT-X252 Forbidden Gundam, and GAT-X370 Raider Gundam.
In CE 73, 81st Independent Mobile Battalion commander Neo Roanoke took command of the John Paul Jones, which carried his customized GAT-04 Windam and the captured ZGMF-X24S Chaos Gundam, ZGMF-X31S Abyss Gundam and ZGMF-X88S Gaia Gundam. The John Paul Jones was used to ambush the ZAFT battleship Minerva in the Indian Ocean and later attacked it again during the battles of Dardanelles and Crete as part of a joint task force with the Orb Union aircraft carrier Takemikazuchi and several Orb and Earth Alliance cruisers. Later, a large number of Spengler-class carriers were among the Earth Alliance forces that joined with ZAFT to attack Heaven's Base in Iceland, after the LOGOS's manipulation of the Alliance was revealed.
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny
Notes & Trivia
- The Spengler-class is also known as the Tarawa-class. In the 12th episode of SEED Destiny, the Minerva's sensor console labels the vessels as Tarawa-class, but the ship's sensor operator verbally identifies them as Spengler class.
- The Spengler might be named for German historian and philosopher .
- The Tarawa is named for the in World War II. Its name is most likely a reference to the real life .
- The Powell is possibly named for US General and former Secretary of State .
- The is named for the naval hero of the American Revolutionary War.
- Television Series
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny
- Episode 12 (HD Remastered Episode 12), Blood in the Water
- Episode 15 (HD Remastered Episode 15), Return to the Battlefield
- Episode 16 (HD Remastered Episode 16), Struggle in the Indian Ocean
- Episode 22 (HD Remastered Episode 21), The Sea Dyed Red
- Episode 23 (HD Remastered Episode 23), The Shadows of War
- Episode 25 (HD Remastered Episode 25), The Place of Sin
- Episode 27 (HD Remastered Episode 27), Unfulfilled Feelings
- Episode 28 (HD Remastered Episode 28), Survivors and Sacrifices
- Episode 30 (HD Remastered Episode 30), A Fleeting Dream
- Episode 38 (HD Remastered Episode 38), A New Flag
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED PHASE-38, Decisive Fire
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED PHASE-40, Into the Dawn Skies
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny PHASE-16, Struggle in the Indian Ocean
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny PHASE-23, The Shadows of War
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny PHASE-27, Unfulfilled Feelings
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny PHASE-28, Survivors and Sacrifices
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny PHASE-38, A New Flag