Personality & Character
Having grown up as a child soldier, brainwashed to murder his own parents, and later cast away when he was no longer deemed useful, Setsuna became taciturn, introverted, and wholeheartedly against war at a very young age. He believes deeply that there are key disturbances that prevent the world from coming together in peace and harmony, to the point of developing a habit of labelling specific people and/or forces as sources of conflict towards the world's path to peace. He has little tolerance for diplomats and politicians, believing that their negotiations only prolong wars and cause more strife. He has got a vendetta to settle and his past battle experiences stir up old bitter feelings, increasing his combat potential as a beneficial side effect. Though a self-proclaimed atheist, he often questions the motivations of God with people and worldly events.
Having been saved by a Gundam when he was about to be killed as a child, he came to view the Gundams as the manifestation of the idea of salvation itself. He idolizes the Gundams so much that he wants to embody the Gundam himself, a means to eradicate all conflict. Ever since being saved and recruited into Celestial Being, he has devoted his being to realizing the organization's ideals and would not hesitate to fulfill them. However, Setsuna notes the irony of him being someone who is good at nothing but dishing out violence, despite his earnest yearning for peace nonetheless.
Setsuna is notable for his relationship with Princess Marina Ismail; one of mutual admiration and intrigue, with him finding her total devotion to peace through peaceful means and ability to easily bond with others to be admirable, while she finds his ability to make hard choices and execute them firmly to be strong. As a result, both lingered in each other's thoughts often and like to know each other better. Their interaction however, is easily confused by others around them to be romantic. In a letter to the princess, Setsuna revealed more of his feelings and thinking. Setsuna wanted to understand the lesser aspects of humanity. He wanted to know why the world is filled with people with innate dark intentions and inconsiderate of other people's suffering. He wanted to know why did people keep fighting to live in such a violent world. He wanted to find these answers along with his Gundam in hopes to bring mutual understanding and peace.
After a 4 year hiatus, Setsuna has taken an unofficial role as the leader of the Gundam Meisters. He is now able to assert and express his feelings to people without reservation. Setsuna's ideals are still the same, but his recent experiences have led him to believe in the importance of self-change and the need to fight for a better and brighter future, rather than merely go about eradicating sources of conflicts. His determination and strong self-confidence motivates and inspires people around him. He becomes more understanding and compromising, but he is also capable of making hard-but-necessary decisions that would lead people to dislike him. He has no problems making life-defining decisions for other people when they can't make the choice and would kill if necessary.
After Setsuna became an Innovator, he once again became withdrawn and closed his heart to people once again. The crew members had trouble dealing with his change in attitude, but they did their best to adjust to him because they believe he'll eventually turn around. Sumeragi reasoned it was probably because he had become different from the others among the crew and was confused with his Innovator abilities, which later proved to be true. After the ELS Conflict, Setsuna had since become a friendlier and warmer person in his eternal mission to promote mutual understanding.
Skills & Capabilities
Setsuna is skilled in many ways of war and fighting. Trained by Ali al-Saachez at a young age, Setsuna already knew how to work with a wide range of firearms, close-quarter-combat, use of explosives, infiltration, and other areas of guerrilla warfare by the age of 10. As CB's Gundam Meister, he uses his former combat training in his KPSA days to reflect Exia's combat style. He's been trained by CB to know some MS technical skills to maintain and repair his Gundam.
His 4 year hiatus (AD 2312 - Season 2) with Celestial Being didn't dull his MS piloting skills at all. Due to the power of 00 Gundam's concentrated GN particles with Trans-Am Raiser, Setsuna's brain has been gradually enhanced to utilize quantum brainwaves. He's able to sense quantum brainwaves (QBWs) near him and track users of QBWs. Eventually, he naturally evolves into humanity's first true/genuine Innovator.
Setsuna's Innovator capabilities aren't completely defined as he's the first naturally evolved Innovator. It has yet to be revealed if he can communicate with Veda or Celestial Being technology like the Innovades can. He can anticipate movements and actions of his opponents and sense impending danger from far distances. As an Innovator, he has heightened reflexes, a longer lifespan than normal humans, and can communicate his thoughts via quantum brainwaves.
After Setsuna joined the ELS, his body is not entirely human. The ELS reformed his body based on their bio-technology, forever retaining his youthful appearance with a metallic shine. It can be inferred that Setsuna became a hybrid of an Innovator and an ELS.
- Note: The dynamics behind all relationships within the series aren't completely defined. Only what was observed in the series has been described.
Main article: Celestial Being Setsuna shows unconditional loyalty towards Celestial Being. Setsuna's loyalty has such an extent that he wants to embody the eradication of war himself along with his Gundam. Setsuna would not hesitate to give his life to achieve the eradication of conflicts.
Though Setsuna has obviously never met Aeolia Schenberg, he believes in his philosophy and served his organization as a Gundam Meister. It was Aeolia's system trap that activated the Trans-Am system that saved Setsuna from Ali al-Saachez.
Veda, Celestial Being's supercomputer, was the AI that approved of Setsuna to be the pilot of Gundam Exia. Though Veda and Setsuna have no real bond with each other, Veda is interlinked with Exia. It is later revealed that the one who made Veda recommend/select Setsuna was Ribbons Almark, after being impressed with Setsuna's face of admiration towards 0 Gundam.
- Gundam Meisters
- Lockon was something of an older brother to Setsuna during the first half of the series. Often working together on missions, Setsuna felt close to Lockon. Later on, it was revealed that Lockon Stratos' parents and sister were killed by a KPSA terrorist attack, the same organization that Setsuna was a part of with Ali al-Saachez. Lockon confronted Setsuna over the situation, drew his sidearm and demanded justice, to allow him to avenge his family. Setsuna did not attempt to dissuade Lockon from his intentions, stating that he believed that Lockon would change the world in his stead. However, Lockon noted that the real enemy was Ali al-Saachez, not Setsuna.
- Later on, during the GN-X's assault on the Ptolemaios, Lockon was injured after a beam saber assault struck his cockpit while defending Tieria Erde. Injured almost gravely, Lockon lost his right eye, mainly used for targeting during sniping. When a second assault by the GN-Xs occurred, Lockon sortied in the repaired Gundam Dynames. Ali al-Saachez, who was piloting the hijacked GNW-002 Gundam Throne Zwei, engaged Lockon in combat and both defeated each other near simultaneously. Setsuna, who was returning from Earth, attempted to retrieve and save Lockon. However, the GN Arms component nearby Lockon's drifting form exploded before he could be reached, killing Lockon. Setsuna mourned Lockon's death along with many other members of the crew.
- After Neil's death, there was a need for a replacement Gundam Meister and Setsuna thought Neil's brother. Setsuna chose Lyle because they both have similar feelings about changing the world and it would be fitting to have his little brother replace him. Lyle comes to slowly respect Setsuna and to follow his lead until he kills Anew Returner to prevent Lyle's death. Lyle then resents Setsuna for this, almost shooting him in the back at one point, but finally declining to do so. It is unknown whether Lyle has or will ever forgive Setsuna over this sensitive matter.
- Tieria and Setsuna were never exceptionally close. Even in the beginning, Tieria disapproved of Setsuna's being chosen to become a Gundam Meister for his extremely young age. Throughout the series, Tieria and Setsuna are loathe to work together, and Tieria typically considers Setsuna to be unfit for his position, notably when Setsuna opened his cockpit during the battle in Moralia (though Tieria understood when he found out the truth later on). However, the two have shown capacity to be considerable allies, notably during the desert assault of episode 15 and later against the Gundam Throne units due to a common dislike. At this point, it was a likely possibility that the two could become friends, but upon Lockon Stratos' death, Tieria lashed out at Setsuna, blaming him for Lockon's death. Sumeragi Lee Noriega had to intervene.
- After the interlude between seasons, Tieria seems to be very glad of Setsuna's return. From this point on, they both share a renewed relationship of respect and trust. Tieria even becomes responsive to Setsuna's de facto leadership, something that would have been unthinkable in the past. When Tieria is killed by Ribbons, Setsuna swears to avenge him, but Tieria dissuades him by telling that he will live on as a part of Veda.
- In the movie, when Setsuna is getting assimilated by the ELS, Tieria saves him with GN-008RE Seravee Gundam II and sacrificed his own physical body to protect Setsuna. This act shows that Tieria cares for Setsuna as if he were his own brother.
- Setsuna and Allelujah did not seem to interact very much, apart from the typical battle forecast meetings by Sumeragi Lee Noriega in which both had to be present simultaneously. Neither were seen to be dismissed as a pair during missions, such pairings instead being Lockon/Setsuna or Tieria/Allelujah. During Allelujah's missing in action period Setsuna showed real concern for him and was later relieved and happy when Allelujah was found along with Marie Parfacy.
- Crew of the Ptolemaios / Ptolemaios II
Ptolemaios was Celestial Being's general purpose Mobile Suit transport and the command center for the interventions.
- As commander of tactical operations, Setsuna always carries a planned assault from Sumeragi. Interestingly it's the other Gundam Meister's that are more strict with Setsuna than herself. They maintain a friendly/professional relationship though at sometimes it is more of an older sister/younger brother relationship. Sumeragi shows concern towards Setsuna, as with the other members of Celestial Being. After her separation form Celestial Being, when Setsuna comes to pick her up, she is shocked because she thought Setsuna had died in the battle against the UN forces. After this, Sumeragi is pushed by Setsuna to rejoin Celestial Being. At the beginning she acts hesitant; but at the end she is able to find her determination inspired by Setsuna and her fellow CB members.
- Though they aren't close, Christina kindly covered up for Setsuna, when he misused Gundam Exia to go visit Marina Ismail in Azadistan, without authorization. They're in constant contact only during missions because she's one of tactical coordinators. She wouldn't bother talking to Setsuna if it weren't business related, but the same cannot be affirmed of Setsuna. During the meeting with Team Trinity she stated that she hated Nena Trinity (who had just kissed Setsuna) at which Lasse wondered if she liked Setsuna; but she said it was not about that.
- Feldt and Setsuna did not interact much prior to Lockon's passing. Even afterwards, the two did not seem to grow considerably closer. However, they did share a moment while standing at the cockpit of Lockon's Gundam Dynames after his death. There, Feldt shared that she had written a letter to Lockon, and told his Haro to stay with him and keep him from growing lonely. She then asked Setsuna if he wanted to write a letter to anyone, but he declined.
- She is later shown to be relieved and glad that Setsuna is alive during the beginning of season 2. Later, at some point during the season, Feldt has apparently developed feelings for Setsuna. While going towards Lagrange 2 and after Setsuna's touching speech about the need to change oneself in order to change the furture Feldt's confirmed the latter when she gives Setsuna a flower. Feldt states that Marina could get angry for this, but Setsuna explains that he does not have "that kind" of relationship with Marina. Feldt then begs him not to die, which he promises to do.
- Even two years later, during the events of the ELS War, Feldt continued to look out and care for Setsuna, dutifully remaining by his side while he was comatose. After reawakening, Setsuna whole-heartedly accepted her feelings for him. However, he was not able to return her feelings because he has to confront the ELS for humanity’s future. Eventually, he sortied using the new 00 Qan[T], Feldt resumed her post on the Ptolemaios II Kai's bridge. When questioned as to why she did not go with Setsuna, Feldt simply replied that Setsuna had a greater destiny to fulfill, hinting that she may have placed the mission given to Setsuna as humanity's first True Innovator above her own feelings.
- Lasse and Setsuna, late in the series, were paired as partners given Lasse's great capability of piloting the GNR-001E GN Arms Type-E. Setsuna seems to respect Lasse, and vice versa, as the two have proven capable pilots when working together. They did not seem exceptionally close, but Setsuna did appear somewhat panicked when attempting to confirm Lasse's condition after the cockpit of the GN Arms Type-E exploded during the final battle with Alejandro Corner's Alvatore mobile armor. During season 2 their mutual respect and admiration relationship continues.
- They have a friendly/professional relationship, however Setsuna was never the talkative type so there was little interaction between the two of them.
- Setsuna's idolizes his Gundam and while he might not show his gratitude to Ian, he is indeed grateful for Ian's maintenance and upgrades for his Exia. They have a professional/friendly relationship of mutual respect and esteem.
- Though the Ptolemy's doctor, he doesn't appear to have any contact with Setsuna. They likely had a professional/friendly relationship.
- Though enemies during season 1, they never interacted. They first met in person in season 2 when Allelujah brought her back to the CBS-74 Ptolemaios 2. After this they most likely shared a professional/friendly relationship.
- Team Trinity
At first, Setsuna seems to be more or less indifferent towards the Gundam Throne Meisters, even though they saved the Gundam Meisters in the Taklamakan Desert. Later, however, when the Throne Meisters attack Spain for no apparent reason, Setsuna engages the Thrones, saying that he has concluded that the Throne Meisters are guilty of promoting conflict, due to the violent behaviour and methods used by the Throne Meisters.
- Johann maintains a professional attitude with Setsuna as he is the more mature member of Team Trinity. However he is not above using mind tricks to disrupt the unity with the other Meisters when he revealed Setsuna's link with Lockon's vengeance.
- He dislikes Setsuna strongly because his sister Nena likes him. He doesn't understand why his sister would like Setsuna, and he "itches" to eliminate him.
- She was the one who saved Setsuna during the Taklamaran desert intervention. She was impressed by Setsuna's reckless actions and on the first meeting face-to-face, she went at him for a kiss. Setsuna however didn't like Nena's kiss at all and shoved her off. After this she regretted kissing him because he had engaged with Team Trinity and labeled them as a source of conflict. When Ali al-Saachez was nearly about to end her life, Setsuna intervened to save her. It is unlikely that Setsuna has feelings for Nena. She is the only female in Gundam 00 that has shown romantic feelings towards Setsuna directly.
- In season 2 Nena, in Riian, provided Setsuna with cover fire giving him a chance to slice of the Gadessa's right arm before he retreated. Due to the red beams Setsuna knew the cover fire had something to do with a GN Drive Tau. He later came face-to-face with Nena again when he was surveying the supposed wreckage of Ptolemaios II. She acts with him in a flirtatious way, noting how handsome he is, prompting him to nearly shoot her. Her flirtatious acting towards him shows that Nena still has romantic feelings for Setsuna despite what happened between them in the past.
- Agents & Observers
They are the people in charge of providing support and aid to Celestial Being. Some work in direct contact with Gundam Meisters (agents) and others act as supervisors (observers).
- As a Celestial Being agent, Wang provided Setsuna (along with the other Meisters) with aid and support. They did not share any kind of special relationship besides this. During their rendezvous at Lagrange 5 Setsuna wanted to aid her escape but she refused (only to meet her death).
- He was a Celestial Being agent under Wang's orders. He once collaborated with Setsuna during the rescue of Massoud Rachmadi. Besides this they do not share any other kind of relationship.
- As a Celestial Being observer, Alejandro Corner did not like Setsuna's way of acting. In episode 14 Alejandro is shown criticizing Setsuna's intervention in Azadistan branding him as a martyr. During Operation Fallen Angels, it was Alejandro who engaged Setsuna with the mobile armor Alvatore; but Setsuna finally managed to defeat him.
Main article: Kingdom of Azadistan When the Republic of Krugis was still an independent nation, Azadistan started a war with their neighboring Middle Eastern country. Azadistan was better equipped in weapons and eventually the Republic of Krugis was destroyed and forcefully merged with Azadistan. While people of Kurdish descent were granted citizenship in Azadistan, they weren't welcomed by the Azadistan locals. Setsuna has mixed feelings when it comes to Azadistan's past actions against the Republic of Krugis due to the painful deaths in his life.
Marina met Setsuna by chance because she thought she was helping out a fellow Azadistan countryman during her diplomatic mission in Scotland. To her mistake she helped out citizen that was formally part of the Republic of Krugis, making their later conversation awkward. This conversation did not end up well; Setsuna revealed his code name identity as a Gundam Meister and warned her Celestial Being would come if conflict continues there. However Marina never revealed this information.
Though not true friends at the beginning, Setsuna held respect for her as a person trying to find peace and solutions to Azadistan's development issues, walking a path different than his. During Setsuna's return to Azadistan, he helped her restore peace by rescuing their conservative leader, Massoud Rachmadi in a heroic non-confrontation mission. He returned not long some other day in the middle of the night, asking her questions about the lesser aspects of humanity, questions like "why is the world distorted, misguided (or twisted, depending on translation). Before he sortied on his final mission, he wrote a letter to her. Marina was genuinely concerned and was touched by Setsuna's possibly post death letter.
In season 2, after Setsuna had rescued Marina and taken her back to Ptolemy, Mileina Vashti asked if she and Setsuna were lovers but both, without any hesitation or embarrassment, denied it. After apologizing for drawing her into trouble, Setsuna and Marina grow considerably closer. They now constantly debate and talk about war and peace. Marina even asked if Setsuna wanted to join her to rebuild Azadistan, but he refused saying that he could do no more than fighting. Marina was genuinely saddened for Setsuna's sad and tragic lifestyle.
Setsuna later entrusts Marina Ismail to Katharon's care. After some time they meet once again when Setsuna came back injured from the battle with Ali al-Saachez. After receiving medical treatment and after waking up from recovery, they share an intimate moment in which they talk about themselves and their lives. Marina implores Setsuna to find the way of changing the world without fighting (the way Setsuna said he had been looking along with his Gundam in his letter) The mood in the room gets so close and intimate that Katharon's orphan children go out embarrassed saying that Setsuna and Marina got "lovey-dovey". Before parting ways once more, Setsuna said that when they meet again he wants to hear the children sing Marina's song, at which she replied that Setsuna had to take care of himself.
Two years after the defeat of A-Laws and the Innovators, Setsuna saved Marina from an assassination attempt by the Union Corporation. However, he chooses not to see her as Setsuna didn't think it was necessary. After Setsuna makes peace with the ELS, Marina sees the desert flower in space (native to Azadistan) and said that it represented Setsuna's hopes and wishes for the world. 50 years after the ELS conflict, Setsuna returned to Earth to see Marina, with both of them telling each other that they could finally understand each other.
He is a leader to the conservatives and the opposition in Azadistan. He acts as a deterrence of war in Azadistan. Setsuna brought him back from the clutches of Ali al-Saachez. He flew in with Exia, un-armed, and in good faith returned Rachmadi, who was deeply thankful towards him.
Union of Solar Energy and Free Nations
Main article: Union of Solar Energy and Free Nations Setsuna stayed in Japan in between his missions in Season 1. It is not revealed if Setsuna chose Japan as his home base of operations or Celestial Being designated it for strategic purposes. Setsuna lives there alone in a single apartment with no more than a simple bed where he often reflects or exercises until the next mission. It is hinted that Soran was given a Japanese code name by Celestial Being so he would fit better in there.
He is Setsuna's next door neighbor, and he is ignorant to Setsuna's true identity until four years later. From the beginning Saji tried to be nice and polite towards Setsuna, but he was soon disappointed to find out his cold and taciturn personality. However he keeps trying to reach Setsuna and more than one time he tries to establish a relationship with him. The two of them lost contact during the five years interlude between seasons.
After being rescued by Setsuna in Proud Colony and after having learned his real identity, he vents that Setsuna destroyed everything he held dear and asks why he still fights. Setsuna says he has his reasons and doesn't care if Saji hates him. After the Katharon base incident, Saji tries to make up to his sins by piloting the 0 Raiser. After Saji becomes the pilot of the 0 Raiser, Setsuna convinces Saji to fight in order to save Louise from the grip of the Innovators.
At the end of Season 2, Saji was fully understanding about Celestial Being actions and the circumstances around Setsuna; so he became more considerate and understanding towards him. In one scene, after being moved by Setsuna's selfless acting and determination, Saji even thanked him because he felt he had to do it. When the Trans-Am Burst system was activated during the Lagrange 2 battle, Saji had no doubt that the "pure and warm light" was the light from Setsuna's heart, the light that would lead humanity to a better future.
Graham was among the first characters to behold a Celestial Being intervention. From the very beginning Graham was awed by Setsuna/Exia's outstanding performance. This admiration soon evolved into obsession, as Graham started making constant exertions to face and defeat Gundam Exia. When Graham first met Setsuna in person (during the Azadistan incident) Graham had spotted him eavesdropping his conversation with Billy Katagiri. Graham immediately noticed that Setsuna was not a common guy; and he even leaked some information under this suspicions.
His obsession soon reached the point where he claimed that his towards Gundam feeling was love. This obsession worsened when his comrades were killed, this is when his feeling became hatred. At his final confrontation with Setsuna/Exia, Graham confirmed that Setsuna was not a common guy indeed. At this final confrontation Graham stated that it was destiny what linked him to Setsuna.
After becoming Mr. Bushido he became one of Setsuna's greatest foes in season 2. He found the determination to defeat Setsuna in honorable battle. Mr. Bushido was even given a special license which authorized him to do as he pleased (just like a one-man-army) and he took this as an advantage to face 00 Gundam every time he could.
He finally lost his final battle against Setsuna; and he was about to suicide (according to what Bushido stated). However he hesitated when remembering Setsuna's final words to him: "I will fight to live on". At the end he did not hate or despise Setsuna and called his fate link with him as an unavoidable destiny.
Later on in the ELS conflict, Graham rushed into the battle once more to save Celestial Being's Gundam team, his arrival didn't prevent the ELS from assimilating the ESF fleet or save Tieria Erde's physical form, but it did allow CB to retrieve an unconscious Setsuna. After he was transferred to the ship, Graham paid him a visit and noted how Setsuna attempted to seek a path for understanding with a race as enigmatic as the ELS, Feldt Grace asked his identity, but he simply answered with "a man who foolishly attempted to surpass the Gundams; when it was this boy the one I needed to surpass."
Graham also took part in the battle at the Absolute Line of Defense, catching up to a hesitant Setsuna during the battle and saying that it was him who told Graham that he should fight to live on, even if it was a contradiction. And finally showed the last act of redemption when he helped Setsuna in breaking through the ELS planetoid, having left every vendetta behind them as he slipped through the regenerating planetoid's surface and self-destructed his Brave, giving Setsuna the opportunity he sought to communicate with the ELS.
Main article: PMC Trust
He is the former leader of the terrorist organization KSPA. He was the one brainwashed Setsuna (and the other Krugis children) as a child and turned him into a child soldier under the guise of religion. As a consequence of this, Setsuna even killed his parents to prove his devotion towards God. This is why Ali has greatly impacted Setsuna, causing him to harbor a general disbelief towards religion and peace talks.
Ali trained Setsuna in an undisclosed martial art, and this in turn it is used by Setsuna mainly when he pilots the Exia. Having met once again on the battlefield during the Moralia intervention, Setsuna exited his cockpit to confirm his opponent was Ali, he wanted to know where his God was but he only found out that Ali was a man obsessed with fighting and blood-spilling.
Meeting at other times, Setsuna fiercely battled the man, but was never able to defeat him during season 1. Setsuna's hatred for Ali grew when he killed Lockon Stratos; and he was latter shocked to find out that Ali had not died. After the battle of Memento Mori, Setsuna got separated from Ptolemy and he went into Earth to look for them. It was then that he met Ali again. After refusing Ribbons request for 00 Gundam, Setsuna faced once more Ali; but this time he was victorious thanks to 00 Raiser. Setsuna was about to kill Ali but he hesitated at the last moment when he heard Marina's song and therefore spared Ali's life.
Human Reform League
Main article: Human Reform League
When Setsuna assaulted a remaining Ceylon base, Sergei took a high mobility Tieren to face him in melee combat. Sergei proved to be a tough opponent, having caught Setsuna off guard by grabbing Exia's face, determined to take it back as a trophy. However, Setsuna uses Exia's beam sabers to disable his unit and finally beats Sergei.
Main article: Autonomous Peace-Keeping Force
She was Saji's girlfriend and met Setsuna through him. They did not have any kind of friendly relationship as they never shared a formal conversation. After Mrs. Halevy (Louise's mom) went back from her visit to Spain, Saji invited Setsuna to his place because he thought that more people would help Louise to feel better. This did not seem to work and infuriated by her crying, Setsuna asked why she was acting that way. She said she was feeling alone, at which Setsuna replied that she could meet her mom anytime as she was not dead. After this Louise childishly called Setsuna a moron and told Saji that she did not like Setsuna.
After the five years interlude between seasons, Louise met Setsuna once again during the A-Laws Elite Banquet. She immediately recognized him. She even recalled his name and it can be said that she was even somehow happy to see him again (as she remembered the old, good times). This time they held a formal conversation and Louise acted differently from her immature self of the past. Even after learning Setsuna's true identity, she did not seem to hold a grudge or hatred against him.
Main article: Innovators
Though Setsuna didn't know it at the time as a child fighting for the Republic of Krugis, Ribbons was his savior - the pilot of the 0 Gundam, who had destroyed all the MS in the area. Though he was supposed to eliminate all witnesses, Ribbons spared Setsuna's life, seeing that the young boy's look to be admiration and awe. Ribbons later used Veda to recommend him as a Gundam Meister. Eleven years later, Ribbons attempted to use this fact to compel Setsuna to hand over 00 Raiser, but Setsuna refused.
Though never meeting in the whole series, Regene is shown keeping track of Setsuna's actions. Regene, after realizing that Ribbons had diverted from Aeolia's plan, betrays the Innovators and supports Celestial Being behind the scenes. Regene is the one that noticed when Setsuna evolved to a genuine Innovator and it can be inferred that Regene's intentions were fulfilled.
Notes & Trivia
- Setsuna's name could be denoted to state his personality. Translated it means 'Moment from eternity' indicating Setsuna's place as the first Genuine Innovator.
- Setsuna is part of the Kurdish people.
- Coincidentally, both Setsuna's Japanese and English voice actors have also voiced Death Note character Light Yagami. Setsuna's Japanese voice actor, Mamoru Miyano, has also won the "Best voice actor award" for both roles at the 2008 Tokyo International Anime Fair. However, he never won any awards in the most prestigious event of anime industry, the Anime Grand Prix (Animage), either as Light Yagami or as Setsuna F. Seiei.
- In the first ending theme Setsuna appears eating an apple in clear reference to Miyano's (as well as Brad Swaile's) role as Light Yagami.
- Setsuna's English voice actor, Brad Swaile, previously played Amuro Ray from the original Mobile Suit Gundam series, Quatre Raberba Winner in Gundam Wing, Dearka Elsman in Gundam SEED and Auel Neider in Gundam SEED Destiny. As a result of this, at times, Setsuna sounds more or less exactly like Amuro in Season 2. However, while voicing Setsuna when he is young, Swaile sounds more like he did playing Auel. Amuro and Setsuna being voiced by the same voice actor is also an interesting irony compared to their Japanese voice actor. In the Japanese dub, Amuro Ray and Ribbons Almark are voiced by Tohru Furuya, a fact that has become the base of many fan-jokes (Ribbons Almark pilots the 0 Gundam, which is very much based on the RX-78-2 Gundam).
- Setsuna's personality is very similar to that of Heero Yuy from Wing.
- Setsuna's real name may be based off Soran Ebrahim, a Kurdish child actor who portrayed the protagonist of the film [Turtles Can Fly].
- Setsuna did develop a second brain through the GN particle exposure, as mentioned in a Great mechanics DX interview. This second brain is known as a Quantum brain, it is made up of a network of GN particles/Quantum brainwaves.
- Although not official, Setsuna displays a strong dislike for GN Fang-equipped mobile suits in Super Robot Wars Z2, which can be inferred to be due to the ruthless armed interventions carried out by the Trinity Gundam Meisters. He refused to accept the "Gundam with Fangs" as a true Gundam, until its pilot kindly informs him that the weapons are not in fact GN Fangs, but fin funnels.
- Setsuna is the first Gundam protagonist of Middle Eastern descent (although he has a Japanese name as an alias).
- Setsuna is described as someone who does not believe in God. He believed in Gundam (especially his own) as his savior.
- Alongside Gundam Wing's main character Heero Yuy, Setsuna is an example of the few Gundam protagonists that do not show romantic scenes with a female character throughout their story in the motion picture. But it is obvious that Heero has some sense of affection for Relena Darlian, while Setsuna's feelings for Marina Ismail are still questionable, and could be interpreted as feelings similar to what he once had for his mother. His kiss with Nena Trinity can not be categorized as a romantic scene due to the fact that Setsuna did not consent to it (nor did he approve of Nena to begin with). However, the manga adaptation of the 00 Movie features additional take on Marina and Setsuna's reunion. The two were reunited and married metaphorically as if they were themselves fifty years back before the ELS Conflict.
- Besides the Exia Repair and Exia Repair II, Setsuna's Gundams' weaponry would consist of seven swords. Exia's main armaments consists of the GN Sword, a pair of GN Blades, two GN Beam Sabers and two GN Beam Daggers. The main weapons of his next mobile suit, the 00 Raiser consists of the GN Sword III, two GN Sword IIs, two GN Beam Sabers and a pair of bladed GN Shields. Lastly, the 00 Qan(T)'s main armaments consist of the GN Sword V and six sword bits.
- Unlike most of the others Gundam series' protagonist (e.g.: Kira Yamato, Amuro Ray, Garrod Ran, etc.), Setsuna was taught how to fight even before he became a Gundam Meister.
- When in the last fight of both seasons against a mobile suit with GN T Drive Setsuna's Gundam always ends up losing its head and left arm, this pays homage to how the RX-78-2 Gundam lost it's head and left arm in it's last fight.
- In Super Robot Wars Z2, Setsuna's Ace Bonus (bonus that earned after reaching 70 kills) is 50% more damage against units with Solar Furnaces and Gundam-type units. This may be based on Setsuna's obsession with Gundam.
- A joke about Setsuna's obsession with Gundam occurs in Super Robot Wars Z2 Hakai-hen in scenario 34. In that scenario, Setsuna amazed with Ranka Lee's ability to stop the rampaging Zentradis with her song, Seikan Hikou. He then said (in Japanese): "An overwhelming power that can change everything. Is that song also a Gundam?"
- Setsuna establishes a respectful rivalry with Heero Yuy in Super Robot Wars Z2 Hakai-hen and keep the relationship in the game's sequel, Super Robot Wars Z2 Saisei-hen. The peak of their rivalry is when Heero said that Setsuna have surpassed the Gundam, which is then replied by Setsuna by saying that Heero's praise is the greatest compliment he had received.
- In scenario 55 of Super Robot Wars Z2 Saisei-hen, the last scenario of Macross Frontier storyline, Setsuna managed to exploit 00 Raiser's Trans-Am Burst System to aid Ranka Lee in her attempt to communicate with an army of extraterrestrial race known as Vajras. This is a contrary to what happens in Awakening of the Trailblazer, where he was not able to use the same method to communicate with the ELS.
- While Setsuna's pilot suit is usually blue, in both of his return appearances in Season 2 and the movie while working undercover, he is seen with a black suit.
- In Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3, Setsuna has a special quote if he uses a Combination SP Attack with the DLC character Graham Aker where the two reveal their star signs to each other. Setsuna as an Aries, whose element is the sun seems to be a reference to the GN Drives being solar reactors and the seemingly infinite radiance they produce. It is also backed up that his being saved by the 0 Gundam occurred at sunset.
- Setsuna and his personal Mobile Suits (Exia, 00, 00 Qan-[T]) were among the inspirations for Ultraman Zero, a recurring character of the Ultra Series who also Shared the same voice actor. In comparison to Setsuna;
- Both of their weapons of choice are known for being swords. Exia's habit of throwing its GN Beam Daggers and GN Short Blade parallels that of Zero's Zero Sluggers.
- Their final form involves having their skin turned metallic.
- Both are kind but do not really show it.
- These similarities were taken further in the 2014 game Lost Heroes 2, where both Ultraman Zero and 00 Qan [T] can perform the combination attack called GN Ultimate Zero Sword (GNウルティメイトゼロソード Ji En Urutimeito Zero Sōdo?). Afterwards, they ended it with their quote "We are Gundam/Ultraman!" while Zero remarks how Setsuna can't decide the catchphrase properly, prompting the latter to apologize.
- Both have interacted with a character voiced by Yuichi Nakamura - Graham Aker/Mister Bushido and Ultraman X.
- Setsuna's English voice actor Brad Swaile is credited as "Brian Swaile" on Right Stuf's North American DVD release of Mobile Suit Gundam 00.
- ↑ Gundam Build Fighters: Battlogue Episode 4, Our War
- ↑ Light Yagami: "L did you know that Shinigami eat only apples?"
- ↑ http://www.animevice.com/news/ax09-gundam-00-focus-panel/1674/
- ↑ Gundam 00 Movie Manga Ending