Technology & Combat Characteristics
Developed from the Victory Gundam, the Second V Gundam was created by the League Militaire in their lunar technetium factory. Data from numerous battles with the Zanscare Empire was used in the suit's development process, and it also inherited the basic systems of the Victory Gundam. Its defensive power is increased due to the Minovsky Shield and enhanced armor parts, while its long range offensive power is improved with the addition of the Mega Beam Cannon.
All the improvements made can lead to a higher burden on the suit's generator and decreased mobility due to the added weight. However, all these concerns were solved by the successful development of the Minovsky Drive Unit. The Minovsky Drive Unit is more powerful than other propulsion systems used in the past such as nuclear thrusters or even the Minovsky Craft System, and is also energy efficient, leaving the generator with lots of power to spare for its other equipments.
- Head Vulcan Gun
- Mounted in the head, the pair of Vulcan Guns are shell firing weapons with a high rate of fire but little power. While ineffective at damaging the armor of a MS, they can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors, for intercepting missiles, enemy aircraft and other light-armored targets, or to deter enemy MS from closing in.
- Beam Saber
- The beam sabers are powerful melee weapons that emit a blade of plasma contained by an I-field. The Second V stores two beam sabers in storage racks located in each forearms, for a total of four beam sabers.
- Beam Rifle
- A standard hand carried ranged beam weapon, it fires concentrated mega particles that can damage any ordinary armor not specially treated to resist it.
- Beam Pistol
- The beam pistol is the core unit of the Second V's beam rifle. When required, parts of the beam rifle can be ejected to reveal the beam pistol.
- Mounted below the barrel of the beam rifle, it can load and fire a variety of physical projectile.
- Beam Shield
- The suit's main defensive equipment, a pair of beam shields are stored in the forearms. The beam shield generates a plane of energy similar to the blade of a beam saber, but uses it for blocking both beam and projectile weapons.
- Mega Beam Cannon
- Mounted on the shoulder's right weapon platform, it is a mega particle cannon used for long range attacks and is more destructive than the beam rifle. It can be ejected during melee combat.
- Minovsky Shield
- Folded in half and stored on the shoulder's left weapon platform when not in use. The Minovsky Shield unfolds during use, and has three shield bits that launch and work in unison with the main shield unit to form a large beam membrane for defensive purposes. It consumes massive amounts of energy, but the Second V can use it thanks to the energy saving Minovsky Drive Unit. If the Minovsky Shield was used by other unit, the unit would be rendered immobile due to the large burden on the reactor.
- The Core Block System facilitates the seperation of the MS into modules. The Second V's central block, which houses the MS's cockpit, control systems and main power source, can eject in case of emergency and unfold into a small Core Fighter.
- An attachment point for weapons, shields, spare ammunition, or optional mission-specific equipment. Hardpoints can also be used to store carried weapons when a mobile suit needs its manipulators free for other purposes. Several hardpoints are mounted on the Second V's body.
Appearing only in the novelization of Mobile Suit Victory Gundam, it is used by Uso Ewin as his second mobile suit, and replaced the LM314V21 Victory 2 Gundam as the Victory Gundam's successor.
In the HG V2 Gundam manual, it is stated that the Second V was an upgrade plan for the Victory Gundam. However, since the upgrade only replaced the Gundam's thrusters and main generator, its performance did not meet expectation, leading to the creation of the Victory 2 Gundam.
Notes & Trivia
- Sources indicated that Yoshiyuki Tomino did not want to use the LM314V21 Victory 2 Gundam in the novel adaptation, so he created the Second V in its place.
- Some sources such as the "Gundam Card Collection" (see picture in the gallery above) listed the model number of this MS as "LM313V10". However the novel doesn't list any model number.
- In Master Archive Mobile Suit Victory Gundam, the Second V is said to be a prototype of the V2 Gundam developed to test the Minovsky Drive Unit.