|“||"What a lovely voice! But I have to wonder though... is that voice a result of fiddling around with her genes?"||”|
Personality & Character
Sai lived on the Orb Union space colony Heliopolis with his family and was enrolled in a robotics engineering course at the local college with his friends; Kira Yamato, Tolle Koenig, Miriallia Haw, and Kuzzey Buskirk, and his fiancee Flay Allster. His peaceful life ended on January 25, C.E. 71, when ZAFT raided the colony in search of the prototype Earth Alliance mobile suits which had been secretly produced there. As the fighting ultimately destroyed the space colony, Sai and his friends ended up as refugees on the alliance's battleship, the Archangel. When Kira was unofficially drafted to pilot the remaining alliance mobile suit, the GAT-X105 Strike Gundam, Sai and the others (except for Flay) decided to help out, and were assigned to various bridge positions. Sai was in charge of enemy detection and electronic warfare identification on the CIC.
When a twist of fate landed PLANT pop idol Lacus Clyne on board the Archangel, everybody (except for Flay) was mesmerized by her kindness and beauty. Although Sai was respectful of Lacus, he did question whether the reason that she had such a lovely singing voice was due to her genetic alterations. He and Miriallia helped Kira when he decided to return Lacus to ZAFT, and along with Tolle, were understanding upon learning ZAFT's GAT-X303 Aegis Gundam pilot Athrun Zala was a childhood friend of his.
When the Archangel finally met Rear Admiral Duane Halberton and his 8th Fleet, Sai and his friends were given discharge papers. However, Flay volunteered to enlist, saying her father's death had made her realize what was going on and that she felt she must do something about it. Sai teared up his papers and said he felt the same way, and the others followed suit. However, Flay's true motive in enlisting in the military was to manipulate Kira into fighting the Coordinators on her behalf until he died in battle. She blamed Kira for her father's death, thinking that he deliberately held back while fighting the ZAFT forces that ultimately killed her father.
In North Africa, Flay broke off her relationship with Sai in favor of Kira. Enraged, Sai lunged at them, but Kira managed to overpower him. This prompted Sai to try and move the Strike Gundam, but he failed. As punishment for doing this without permission, Sai was put in solitary confinement for a week. Despite his humiliation, Sai didn't try to win Flay back and told Kira that he was counting on him. In the ensuing skirmishes, ZAFT pilot Nicol Amalfi was killed by Kira, Tolle was killed by Athrun, Kira was reported MIA, and ZAFT pilot Dearka Elsman was taken prisoner and his GAT-X103 Buster Gundam captured.
With Kira gone, Flay attempted to restart her relationship with Sai, denying she ever felt any emotions for Kira. The arguing former couple encountered an enraged Miriallia trying to avenge Tolle's death by killing Dearka Elsman, who was being held prisoner on board the Archangel. Sai stopped Miriallia and calmed her down, then Flay stated her belief that Coordinators must be eradicated. She attempted to shoot Dearka, but was knocked down by the recomposed Miriallia. Flay demanded an explanation, stating that she and Miriallia are now the same, an opinion Miriallia vehemently denied.
Later, Flay was transferred off the Archangel, only to be captured by ZAFT Commander Rau Le Creuset during Operation Spitbreak. Meanwhile, Sai and the rest of the crew defected to Orb after they were saved by Kira in the stolen ZGMF-X10A Freedom Gundam when the Alliance leaders attempt to sacrifice their less desirable forces, including the Archangel and its crew to wipe out a majority of ZAFT's forces. After his return, Sai made peace with Kira, and the two of them remained on good terms.
Sai continued to serve at his post on the Archangel throughout the rest of the war. When Kuzzey Buskirk complained that people will think he was a coward for leaving the Archangel, Sai told him not to worry about what other people are doing and just stick by his decision. During the Battle of Mendel, he realized Flay still cares for him when she calls his name specifically while trying to communicate with the Archangel, and he was deeply saddened when Flay died at the hands of Rau Le Creuset.
After the war ended, Sai went back to a civilian life, one that apparently involves computers. He still kept pictures of himself with Flay, despite their tumultuous history and seemed content with this new life.
Notes & Trivia
- Sai has a Scottish surname.
- Sai is a selectable pilot in the video game, Gundam SEED: Rengou vs ZAFT.
- In episode 13 of Gundam SEED, Sai and Miriallia Haw are shown sitting at their stations in the CIC of the Archangel moments before they enter the bridge to inform the Captain that they were staying on board.
- Sai somehow moves the Strike Gundam even when it was locked by a password by Mu La Flaga.
- Sai's name is spelled "Sigh Argyle" in Gundam Breaker Mobile.
- The included AI Pilot word tags, "Long-range" and "Gundam Type", indicates that Sai was meant for the GAT-X105+AQM/E-X03 Launcher Strike Gundam.
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED PHASE-01, False Peace
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED PHASE-04, Silent Run
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED PHASE-08, The Songstress of The Enemy Forces
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED PHASE-10, Crossroads
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED PHASE-12, Flay's Decision
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED PHASE-09, The Fading Light
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED PHASE-19, Fangs of the Enemy
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED PHASE-20, On a Calm Day
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED PHASE-29, The Turning Point
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED PHASE-30, Flashing Blades
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED PHASE-31, Grieving Skies
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED PHASE-32, In the Promised Land
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED PHASE-35, The Descending Sword
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED PHASE-36, In the Name of Justice
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED PHASE-38, Decisive Fire
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED PHASE-46, A Place for the Soul
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED PHASE-50, To a Future that Never Ends
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED After-Phase OVA: Between the Stars