The RX-79BD-2 Blue Destiny Unit 2 is a variant of the RX-79［G］ Gundam Ground Type. It first appeared in the game Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story: The Blue Destiny. It belonged to the Earth Federation Forces before it was stolen by the Principality of Zeon and piloted by Nimbus Schterzen.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Blue Destiny Unit 2 is the second mobile suit developed by Professor Chlust Moses after he defected to the Earth Federation Forces. Like the RX-79BD-1 Blue Destiny Unit 1, Unit 2 is used for testing the EXAM System and has the system mounted in its head, but the Unit 2's system has no set limit, making it more likely to go berserk. Unlike Unit 1, Unit 2's head is based on the Gundam Ground Type like the rest of its body.
While the Gundam Ground Type is configured only for ground battles, the Unit 2 is designed for use in both Earth and space. This is achieved by changing its backpack, and grants the suit high operational capacity and mobility in both environment. In terms of armaments, Unit 2 retained the chest vulcans and wired missiles from Unit 1, but uses the beam rifle of the Gundam Ground Type as its main ranged weapon instead of the 100mm machine gun. It also utilizes a new shield from the RGM-79G GM Command. After Nimbus stole the Unit 2, he had its shoulder armor repainted red, although any other possible customizations he made to the unit are unknown.
- Head Vulcan Gun
- A pair of shell-firing weapons built into the head. Though not powerful, its high rate of fire meant it was employed to intercept incoming missiles, etc.
- 60mm Chest Vulcan Gun
- Mounted on each side of its cockpit, these shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire but little power and can't damage the armor of a mobile suit, though they can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. They are ideal for shooting down missiles and lightly armored vehicles.
- Abdominal Wired-Control Missile
- Mounted on the sides of the abdomen, the pair of wired-control missiles can function under Minovsky particle interference.
- X.B.Sa-G-03 Beam Saber
- The standard close range armament for most Federation mobile suits. The beam saber is a small device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. The beam saber emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-Field and can cut through most armor not treated with anti-beam coating. The Blue Destiny Unit 2 has two beam sabers stored in its lower legs(backpack in the 2015 manga). One can be used as a reserve weapon, or both can be used simultaneously in a twin sword fashion.
- YHI YF-MG100 100mm Machine Gun
- The standard armament for Federation's mobile suit ground forces during the One Year War that was developed by Yashima Heavy Industries. It has an alternate model number: "NF·GMG-Type.37/100mm". Equipped with a box magazine and folding stock, it has an excellent rate of fire and is easy to wield. It utilized a smoothbore type barrel that lacked rifling and has to be replaced after firing 3000 rounds. The weapon could utilize three different types of ammunition: HEAT (High Explosive Anti Tank), APFSDS (Armor-Piercing Fin-Stabilized Discarding-Sabot), and HESH (High Explosive Squash Head), allowing combat units to select the appropriate type to meet operational needs.
- BLASH XBR-M-79E Beam Rifle
- The same beam rifle as used by the Gundam Ground Type, it is a redesign of the RX-78-2 Gundam's XBR-M-79-07G beam rifle. Instead of the 79-07G’s large movable sensor, this rifle is fitted with the BP-SS-001 composite box-type sensor system utilized on the BR-M-79C-3 Beam Spray Gun and licensed from BOWA Corporation, granting the weapon improved targeting precision.
- NFHI RGM-M-Sh-AGD Shield
- A shield made of titanium/ceramic composite developed near the end of the One Year War. Thanks to its curved shape and an anti-beam coating with a higher heat resistance than previous models, it is more resistant against both ballistic and beam weapons. This shield is the same shield as used by the RGM-79G GM Command and RGM-79GS GM Command Space Type.
- A modified version of the shield used by the prototype series, it has upgraded edges.
Special Equipment & Features
- A system that gave normal pilots the ability to mimic the power of Newtypes. While little is known about the mechanics of the system, the primary component is known to have been the captive soul of Newtype Marion Welch. The conflict of her soul with the bonds of the system made it extremely unstable and hard to control, to the point that the system - and the mobile suit - would sometimes go berserk. While under the influence of the EXAM System, the mobile suit's optical sensors would glow red. Blue Destiny Unit 2's EXAM System does not have a set limit, this grants it higher performance but also makes it more easy to go berserk.
When the RX-79BD-2 Blue Destiny Unit 2 and RX-79BD-3 Blue Destiny Unit 3 were completed, Zeon special forces attack, allowing Nimbus to hijack Unit 2 and kill Moses, ensuring that he won't be able to make EXAM anymore. Nimbus escapes to space, with Yuu and his friends in hot pursuit using Blue Destiny 3. The group chases Nimbus to Side 5, where EXAM was first made, and a final showdown begins. Nimbus declares that he's the only one worthy of using EXAM and attempts to kill Yuu. Once more, the two strike each other down in unison, but this time Nimbus is killed, while Yuu drifts in space, where he is later picked up by his team.
Notes and Trivia
- In the original game, the Blue Destiny Unit 2's shield was the same type as the one used by Blue Destiny Unit 3. However, in the title screen of the game, it was equipped with the same type of shield as the RGM-79G GM Command. Media from Mobile Suit Gundam: Encounters in Space onward began depicting it using the latter.
- Strangely, in the one-shot manga Burning's Report, Unit 3 had the GM Command Shield while Unit 2 had the standard shield.
- The Blue Destiny Unit 2 is chronologically the very first Gundam-type mobile suit to fall under the service of Zeon.
|Mobile Suit Gundam Side Stories Series Original Mechanics|
RGM-79BD-0 Blue Destiny Unit 0 | RGM-79DO GM Dominance | RGM-79DO[AQ] GM Dominance (Underwater Equipment) | RGM-79FD Armored GM | RX-78XX Gundam Pixy | RX-79[G] SW Slave Wraith | RX-79[G]WR Full Armor Slave Wraith | RX-79BD-1 Blue Destiny Unit 1 | RX-79BD-2 Blue Destiny Unit 2 | RX-79BD-3 Blue Destiny Unit 3 | RX-80PR Pale Rider | RX-80PR-2 Pale Rider Cavalry | RX-80PR-3 Pale Rider Dullahan
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
SCV-73 Blanc Rival | SCVA-72 Thoroughbred
|Principality of Zeon|
MS-05S Zaku I Commander Type | MS-05B Zaku I Land Warfare Type | MS-08TX Efreet | MS-08TX[EXAM] Efreet Custom | MS-09F Dom Funf | MS-14G Gelgoog Ground Type | RX-79BD-2 Blue Destiny Unit 2 | RX-80PR Pale Rider | YMS-06Z Psycommu Early Test Type Zaku