Technology & Combat Characteristics
Developed by the Earth Federation Forces in the latter half of the One Year War, the Gundam Ground Type continues to be deployed after the war. An example is the Gundam Ground Type S, which is named as such as it is a Gundam Ground Type deployed exclusively on the Spartan. The suit is a remodelled, ground use version of the RGM-79/GH Gundam Head which was used in the battle of A Baoa Qu. Its Gundam-like head is meant to replicate the psychological impact that the famous Gundam had on the Zeon forces.
Although the head has no V-shaped antenna, its sensing performance is improved due to the addition of sensors. To adapt to ground use, the shoulder thrusters are removed, a new backpack was installed and changes are made to the chest and feet. The new backpack is smaller, with three thrusters on each sides for improved mobility, and also has a pair of sub-arms for holding weapons, such as shields. Armaments used by the suit includes a beam rifle, a pair of beam sabers that double as beam javelins and a shield.
- Beam Saber
- A beam saber is mounted on the back of the sub arms on either side of the backpack.
- Beam Rifle
- The suit's main ranged weapon, it can be held by the manipulators or by the sub arms on the backpack.
- The standard shield for the MS of the Earth Federation Forces. More than one shield can be equipped by using the manipulators and the sub arms.
Special Equipment & Features
- Sub Arm
- The small manipulators on each side of the top of the backpack. The pair of sub arms are used for holding the shield, beam rifle, and/or additional weapons.
When the Earth Federation Forces' assault-class ship, Spartan, entered the air space of the South Seas Alliance's territories, it was quickly confronted by a squadron of MS-07B Gouf (Thunderbolt Ver.)s riding on Dodai sub flight systems. A battle then broke out, and the three Gundam Ground Type S piloted by Marcus, Orphee and Dent defended the Spartan's flight decks when it was boarded by the Goufs. By backing each other up, and with help from a RX-75 Guntank (Thunderbolt Ver.) among others, they repelled the invaders.
In the Manga, the three Gundam Ground Type S later participated in the invasion of the Rig to capture the Psycho Zaku's pilots, engaging a Zaku Marine Type which is later destroyed by a missile. The team subsequently trained its team compatibility with the Trust squad while carrying RX-78AL Atlas Gundam's gear. They then took part in the operation to stop the Psycho Zaku's launch at Taal volcano. Their landing craft was shot down by the Psycho Zaku prototype piloted by Daryl Lorenz, but the team regrouped and took out his Big Gun using the Atlas's Railgun.
Notes & Trivia
- The Gundam Ground Type-S follows a trend in the Gundam Thunderbolt series of having the Federation emblem on a mobile suit's forehead, as seen with the RGM-79/GH Gundam Head and the RGM-79C［G］ GM Ground Type-C.
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 High Grade 1/144 Gundam Ground Type S
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 ONA Official Site Profile | Link: