The RX-78GP04G Gundam "Gerbera" is a prototype general purpose mobile suit (assault type) and the fifth of five mobile suits in the Gundam Development Project, appearing in Mobile Suit Gundam: Encounters in Space and Mobile Suit Gundam Gihren's Greed. The RX-78GP04G Gundam "Gerbera" was eventually developed into the AGX-04 Gerbera Tetra.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The RX-78GP04G Gundam "Gerbera" is a prototype general purpose mobile suit geared towards high-speed assault. Its major feature was three "stürm booster" that could be equipped to the back to increase its top speed, allowing it to reach the frontline quickly and engage in anti-mobile suit combat. However, the Federation came to the realization that the RX-78GP04G's role would overlap quite a lot with the RX-78GP01 Gundam "Zephyranthes" and thus terminated its development. However by then, Anaheim Electronics had completed the basic frame and various internal parts of the RX-78GP04G. This incomplete machine was later made into AGX-04 Gerbera Tetra.
- Beam Saber
- The beam saber produces high-energy Minovsky particles to form a blade-shaped I-field filled with superheated plasma that creates a deadly cutting blade. The Gerbera is equipped with two beam sabers stored on the backpack when not in use. These beam sabers are shaped specifically for the Gerbera, but their internal components are the same as the mass-produced beam saber models.
- Long Range Rifle
- A modified version of the RX-78GP01 Gundam "Zephyranthes"'s beam rifle, it is an experimental weapon with higher firepower and longer range. Its specifications are greatly boosted due to the accelerator at the rear end and the barrel cooling mechanisms. It is also integrated with an advanced fire control system, and sensors built into the rifle provide interface between the weapon and the Gerbera's camera sensor.
- Mounted on the underside of the Long Range Rifle's barrel, it is a small beam saber designed to catch enemy beam sabers. It allows the pilot to quickly counter when there is no time to draw out the main beam saber.
- Custom Beam Rifle
- A beam rifle developed specifically for Gerbera's use, it shares some of its components with the Gundam "Zephyranthes"'s beam rifle and is powered by a uniquely-shaped replaceable e-pacs. The custom beam rifle focuses more on rapid-fire capability than firepower, and is designed to be wielded easily in close combat.
- Custom Shield
- Developed specifically for Gerbera's use, this defensive equipment shares many parts with the Gundam "Zephyranthes"'s shield and also stores two extra e-pacs. Like other shields, the custom shield also has an anti-beam coating to withstand several beam shots before the coating wears off. The custom shield can be mounted on the forearm and/or handheld.
- BOWA XBR-M-82-05H Beam Rifle
- The same beam rifle as used by Gundam "Zephyranthes", power rated at 1.5 MW. It is powered by replaceable e-pacs.
- Mounted on the underside of the beam rifle's barrel, it is a small beam saber designed to catch enemy beam sabers. It allows the pilot to quickly counter when there is no time to draw out the main beam saber.
- The same shield as used by the Gundam "Zephyranthes", it can collapse or extend to suit the combat situation.
Special Equipment & Features
- Stürm Booster
- Attached to the Gerbera's back, the three "Stürm Boosters" are devices similar to booster pods and are fitted with high-performance thrusters to improved the suit's speed. The Stürm Boosters also contain propellant tanks, substantially increasing the amount of fuel this MS can carry as well as its travel range. When the fuel is depleted, the boosters can be ejected to decrease mass.
According to the MS encyclopedia, one of the tactics that Zeon used to great success against the Federation in the One Year War was high speed strikes with mobile suits. Federation forces had little time to react before being attacked by mobile suit squadrons. So, it was not surprising that the Federation sought to develop high speed assault mobile suits of its own. It was about at this time that the Delaz Fleet approached the division of Anaheim Electronics created from the Zeonic Company, which was still filled with Zeon loyalists. They were then given the AGX-04 Gerbera Tetra, which was a revised design of the cancelled RX-78GP04G. Some say that the branch of the Earth Federation which later developed into Titans cancelled the development in order to provide in secret this mobile suit to the spy Cima Garahau. Although highly possible, no actual record could be traced to support this argument.
Notes and Trivia
- The fact that the Gerbera Tetra was GP04 was first mentioned in the instruction manual of the 1/144 Gerbera Tetra, released in June 1992. However, design for the GP04 was only revealed in Gundam Weapons 3, released in December of the same year.
- In Gihren's Greed, there's a choice where the developers can abort or finish the development of the GP04G. When finished, the suit possesses high mobility and strength.
- The GP04G makes a brief appearance near the end of Gundam Evolve 4 as it is being observed by Anaheim Electronics employees before being closed off as illegal data.
- The GP04G also makes an appearance as an unlockable unit in the video game Mobile Suit Gundam: Encounters in Space, and is unlocked after the player achieves A-Rank on all White Base and Thoroughbred missions.
- "Gerbera" refers to the genus of the sunflower plant, which is named after German botanist Traugott Gerber.
- RE/100 Gundam GP04G Gerbera model kit manual