The RX-78GP03S Gundam "Stamen" (Development codename: Dendrobium Stamen) is a mobile suit that serves as the core unit for the RX-78GP03 Gundam "Dendrobium". It was first seen in Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory OVA and was piloted by Kou Uraki.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The RX-78GP03S Gundam Stamen is one of two components that make up the RX-78GP03 Gundam "Dendrobium", with the other being the armed base Orchis. The Stamen serves as the control unit for the Gundam "Dendrobium" and can operate on its own when required. The suit has two beam sabers, a folding shield and a beam rifle as standard armament, and can optionally use folding bazookas. The traditional twin head vulcans were removed, with the freed space used to install more advanced avionics and sensor systems.
The "Stamen" was designed with two cockpit options: a Core Block System, and a spherical cockpit with linear seat and panoramic monitors that gives its pilot a full view of the battlefield that was first used in the RX-78NT-1 Gundam "Alex". In the end, the spherical cockpit was selected as the default as it provided superior fire control capabilities. This is of particularly importance as when the Stamen is docked with the "Orchis", it must be able to efficiently control and use the large amounts of weapons stored in the "Orchis". Another unique feature of the "Stamen" is the tail binders mounted on the sides of the waist for increased maneuverability and to dock with the Orchis. Lastly, a set of foldable manipulator arms used to retrieve weapons from the Orchis' weapon containers were concealed in the forearms of the GP03S.
- Beam Saber
- The beam saber produces high-energy Minovsky particles to form a blade-shaped I-field filled with superheated plasma that creates a deadly cutting blade. It is an effective weapon for close-quarters combat. This particular model is manufactured by Anaheim Electronics, with each saber hilt stored inside the left and right side of the backpack.
- XBR-BOWA M-82A Beam Rifle
- The primary ranged weapon used by the GP03S, it looks identical to the beam rifle used by the RX-78GP01-Fb Gundam Full Burnern "Zephyranthes", but its output has been improved.
- Mounted on the underside of the Stamen's beam rifle, it is a small beam saber designed to catch enemy beam sabers, allowing the pilot to quickly counter when there is no time to draw out his main beam saber.
- Folding Bazooka
- Specially designed for Stamen, the Folding Bazooka is usable whether the suit is operating alone or docked with the Orchis. It features a collapsible barrel for storage inside the Orchis' container, and retrievable via Stamen's Folding Arms. Like the Hyper Bazooka used by other Federation's mobile suits, the Folding Bazooka is technically a large projectile launcher which fires large-calibre rocket-propelled rounds to attack targets at long range. No mass-production MS's armor is able to stop this weapon. While very powerful, the rockets has a slow rate of fire and is most often used to take out slow, heavily armored targets. The Folding bazooka is magazine-fed and capable of carrying 6 rounds per magazine plus 1 round in its chamber.
- BLASH HB-L-07/N-STD Hyper Bazooka
- Used by the GM-type mobile suits in early 0080s, the Hyper Bazooka is an improved version of the original used by RX-78 Gundam and RGM-79 GM series during the One Year War. Like its predecessor, the Hyper Bazooka is technically a large projectile launcher which fires large-calibre rocket-propelled rounds to attack targets at long range. No mass-production MS's armor is able to stop this weapon. While very powerful, the rockets has a slow rate of fire and is most often used to take out slow, heavily armored targets. The Hyper bazooka is magazine-fed and capable of carrying 7 rounds per magazine plus 1 round in its chamber.
- Folding Shield
- Specially designed for Stamen, the Folding Shield is collapsible along its vertical axis for storage inside the Orchis' container, and retrievable via Stamen's Folding Arms. The Folding Shield is mounted on the Stamen's forearms via a rotatable hinge and has top and bottom handles for better defense positioning. The shield can also store up to 4 e-pacs for the XBR-BOWA M-82A Beam Rifle, prolonging the rifle's operation time.
Special Equipment & Features
- Folding Arm
- Each of Stamen's forearms are incorporated with a large, foldable manipulator arm. These folding arms has 3 times the reach of the normal arms, and are used to retrieve the Stamen's own weapons such as beam rifles, folding bazookas, folding shields etc. from their storage racks inside the Orchis' weapons containers.
- Tail Binder
- Mounted on either sides of the Stamen's waist, the pair of tail binders serve to increase the suit's mobility and maneuverability. Besides having a thruster each, the binders are also used for AMBAC purposes due to their movable nature. Lastly, the tail binders also function as part of the docking system with the Orchis unit.
- Core Block System
- The Stamen can be fitted with a Core Block System like the RX-78GP01 Gundam "Zephyranthes" and the RX-78GP01-Fb Gundam Full Burnern "Zephyranthes". This Core Block is composed of the Core Fighter II-Sp, which contains the cockpit and backpack of the Stamen, and docks with the Stamen in the same manner as the core fighters of the GP01 and GP01Fb. It was not selected to be the default cockpit system as the other competing plan, the spherical cockpit with linear seat and panoramic monitor, was superior in terms of fire control capabilities, which is very important in allowing the Stamen to efficiently control and use the large amounts of weapons stored in the "Orchis".
The development of Gundam GP03 was handled by a different team from the GP01 and the GP02. It rolled out of Anaheim Electronics' Von Braun factory on October 4th, U.C. 0083, and began trial at the dock ship La Vie en Rose on October 28th.
Jamitov Hymen, unsatisfied with the Gundam Development Project, intentionally leaked intelligence on the GP03 to a group of Zeon Remnants. Because of this, La Vie en Rose was attacked by a large number of MS-06F2 Zaku II F2 Type and MS-14F Gelgoog Marine on November 10th, one day before the MSC-07 Albion was supposed to dock with it.
Anaheim Electronics test pilot Defrah Kar, against the advice of her colleague Lucette Audevie, deployed in the Stamen (which was in the Core Fighter-equipped P-spec) to fight the attackers, but the Zeon mobile suits placed themselves between the Stamen and La Vie en Rose, preventing Defrah from firing on them. However, the Orchis armed base joined the battle and fired a 3-tube missile pod at the Zeon mobile suits, destroying several of them. Defrah then docked the Stamen with the Orchis, easily destroying the numerous Zeon suits with the combined RX-78GP03 Gundam "Dendrobium".
After all of the Zeon attackers were apparently destroyed, Defrah separated the Stamen from the Orchis. However, one Gelgoog Marine was damaged but still functional. Its pilot, traumatized by the overwhelming power of the Dendrobium, fired its beam rifle at the Stamen, presumably killing Defrah and destroying the Stamen's Core Fighter.
On November 11th, U.C. 0083, the Albion arrived at the La Vie en Rose in order to receive the Gundam GP03. However, the Albion crew was stopped by Lieutenant Commander Nakohha Nakato, who informed them that they will no longer be pursuing the Delaz Fleet, and that their new mission is to defend the La Vie en Rose and GP03. He also forbade Kou Uraki from boarding the GP03, saying that the Gundam Development Project has been put on hold.
Unsatisfied with not being able to test the GP03 despite its completion, Lucette Audevie, who was in charge of the GP03's development, secretly showed Kou the Gundam's data and asked him to pilot it. Later, Lucette informed Kou that the Delaz Fleet's apprent move to drop a colony on the moon was a feint: their true target was Earth, and there was only 38 hours left before the colony reaches its target.
With Lucette's help, Kou was able to reach the GP03S "Stamen" in the factory block of La Vie en Rose. However, Nakato's men caught up to him before he could board it, and Nakato tried to shoot him. Lucette sacrificed herself to shield him from Nakato's bullets, and Captain Eiphar Synapse and the Albion crew forced Nakato and his men to surrender, allowing the Albion to finally receive the GP03.
Aboard the Albion, the "Stamen" was docked with the "Orchis" armed base, and Uraki sortied in the combined Gundam "Dendrobium" against Delaz Fleet forces. During the prolonged battle to stop the colony drop, Kou was forced to deploy in the "Stamen" at one point while the "Orchis" was being resupplied.
After the final battle between the "Dendrobium"" and the AMX-002 Neue Ziel was interrupted by Bask Om firing the Solar System II at them, the "Orchis" armed base was severely damaged, but the "Stamen" remained relatively intact. After regaining consciousness, Kou detached from the ruined "Orchis" and, in a rage, futilely fired at Bask's approaching command ship.
As all data on the Gundam Development Project was erased on March 10th, U.C. 0084, the "Stamen" was presumably disassembled as well.
- RX-78GP03 Gundam "Dendrobium"
- RX-78GP03 Gundam & Weapon System
Notes and Trivia
- Aside from several scenes in the second opening, the Stamen was never shown fighting on its own in Gundam 0083. In Episode 12, Uraki entered battle in the Stamen while the Orchis was being resupplied, but the battle concluded off-screen.
- However, the Stamen did briefly fight the Zeon Remnants in Gundam Evolve before docking with the Orchis.
- In Super Robot Wars Alpha 3, the Stamen was given the Blash XBR-L-83d beam rifle from the audio drama Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Battle of Lunga Point as a weapon, which was said to be originally designed for the GP03.
- A gimmick of Gundam VS Gundam Next Plus from PSP is that when holding the L button, Stamen jumps in a side flip while a shining bomb is left in his previous place, with a beam line connecting it to the mobile suit. After Stamen lands, it can fly to places to extend the bomb's reach of explosion. There is a timer of 7 seconds after the bomb is deployed, and after the player release the button, the line explodes with the bomb (can be used when without ammo or for evasive/trapping attacks).