Technology & Combat Characteristics
In an alternate timeline, the RX-78/C.A. was created by the Neo Zeon for Casval's use, and utilized technologies from both the Earth Federation and Principality of Zeon. Meant to be a symbol for Newtypes, it has a reddish paint scheme like the other mobile suits used previously by Casval. Besides the paint scheme, the performance of the Casval's Gundam was also tuned to match his preferences, resulting in it having better mobility and reaction speed than the original RX-78-2 Gundam.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- A pair of solid bullet armament built into the head. Though not powerful, its high rate of fire meant it was employed to intercept incoming missiles, etc.
- Beam Saber
- The beam saber emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-Field and can cut through most armor not treated with anti-beam coating. This small device is held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. Two beam sabers are stored in the Gundam's backpack. One can be used as a reserve weapon, or both can be used simultaneously in a twin sword fashion. The beam saber can also transform into the beam javelin.
- Beam Javelin
- The beam javelin is an alternate form of the beam saber, with an extended handle and a three-pronged beam at the end. The long reach of the weapon gives the Gundam an advantage in close quarters combat. It was also used as a throwing weapon.
- Beam Rifle
- A revolutionary weapon for its time, the Beam Rifle is the primary weapon used by the Gundam. Making use of the Federations E-cap (or "energy capacitor") technology, the rifle uses charged concentrations of mega-particles as ammunition. This gives the beam rifle firepower equivalent to that of a battleship's main cannon. Features include a large, movable offset sensor that interfaces with the RX-78’s Fire Control System (FCS) to achieve a high degree of accuracy, and a stabilizing foregrip for firing support.
- Hyper Bazooka
- A general purpose fire support rocket launcher platform for Mobile Suits. With considerable destructive power owing to the explosive yield in each warhead, the weapon was primarily used to destroy less-maneuverable battlefield targets such as warships, satellites, land battleships, bunkers, and buildings.
- Hand-carried, forearm-mounted or stored on the Gundam's backpack, the shield is a simple defense used to block most physical and beam attacks. Also used to great effect in close quarters battle with enemy mobile suits and can also be used as a throwing weapon. Weighing 10 tons, its armor structure is a simplified version of that on the Gundam's body and is designed for the diffusion and absorption of impact rather than robustness. The outermost layer is a triple honeycomb structure using luna titanium alloy-based material.
- Gundam Hammer
- Essentially a large spiked ball attached to a chain, it serve as a ranged melee weapon. The gundam hammer could either be thrown or swung around the mobile suit itself to damage the enemy units.
- Hyper Hammer
- An enhanced version of the gundam hammer. Like its predecessor, it is a large spiked ball attached to a chain. However, it also has several rockets mounted into the ball to allow it to maneuver more effectively as well as the ability to change its direction before impact, and to increase the damage it could cause.
Special Equipment & Features
- Similar to the prototype mobile suits produced by the Earth Federation Forces' Operation V, the RX-78/C.A. is equipped with a central block which houses the mobile suit's cockpit, control systems and main power source. This core block can eject in case of emergency and unfold into a small Core Fighter.
- An attachment point for weapons, shields, spare ammunition, or optional mission-specific equipment. Hardpoints can also be used to store carried weapons when a mobile suit needs its manipulators free for other purposes.
In one of the parallel timelines depicted in the game Gihren's Greed, Char Aznable reverts to his real name of Casval Rem Deikun near the end of the One Year War. He then leads a new faction, the Neo Zeon (different from the original Axis Neo Zeon in Mobile Suit ZZ Gundam), against the Principality of Zeon to realize his Newtype ideals. To that end, the RX-78/C.A. Casval's Gundam was developed by the Neo Zeon for Char's use and as a symbol for Newtypes. Records showed that this unit has entered combat with the original RX-78-2 Gundam.
Notes and Trivia
- In the PSP game Gundam Battle Royale, the RX-78/C.A. is a more melee-combat oriented unit than the RX-78-2 and also features Char Aznable's trademark "Kick" maneuver as part of its repertoire.
- In SD Gundam G Generation games, Casval Gundam has a "Kick" attack replacing the vulcan guns.
|Gihren’s Greed Original Mechanics|
RX-78-2 Gundam High Mobility Type | RX-78T Gundam Titans Version | RX-178-X0 Prototype Gundam Mk-II
|Ship / Submarine|
|Principality of Zeon/Neo Zeon|
| Mobile Suit|
MS-15A Gyan Mass Production Type | MS-15B Gyan High Mobility Type | MS-15C Gyan Cannon | MS-15F Gyan Marine | MS-15Fs Gyan Marine Commander Type | MS-15Kg Gyan Krieger | MSN-02R Zeong High Mobility Type | RX-78/C.A. Casval's Gundam | RX-78-Z1 Zeon's Gundam