Technology & Combat Characteristics
Based off the combat data of the RX-78-2 Gundam, the RX-78-6 Mudrock Gundam was designed to address the biggest shortcoming in the former's design - a lack of weaponry once the Gundam's primary beam rifle was out of energy. To get around this limitation, the Mudrock was built as a sustained-combat unit with higher firepower.
It has a new beam rifle backed up by a pair of arm-mounted grenade launchers, and a pair of 300mm cannons inspired by the RX-77-2 Guncannon. To further increase the Mudrock's staying power, it has improved frontal armor, and also retained the Gundam's beam sabers and head vulcans. The added payload wound up increasing the suit's weight by roughly one-third. To prevent this from affecting the suit's mobility, the Mudrock had a reactor with higher output, an enlarged backpack, and the legs are fitted with movable thrusters.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- Mounted in the head, these shell firing weapons have high-rate of fire but little power and can't damage the thick armor of a mobile suit, though they can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. They are ideal for shooting down small, lightly armored targets such as missiles, attack vehicles, etc.
- Beam Saber
- The beam saber is a small device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. It can cut through most armor not treated with anti-beam coating. The Mudrock is equipped with two beam sabers stored beside the 300mm cannons when not in use.
- 300mm Cannon
- A pair of low recoil cannons equipped on the backpack.
- Grenade Launcher
- Equipped on both forearms. Each launcher carries 4 rounds for a total of 8.
- XBR-M79X-C2 Beam Rifle
- A beam rifle developed near the end of the One Year War to test the concept of making the energy CAP a cartridge to solve the problem of recharge time.
- BLASH XBR-M-79E Beam Rifle
- The same beam rifle as used by the Gundam Ground Type, it is a redesign of the RX-78-2 Gundam's XBR-M-79-07G beam rifle. Instead of the 79-07G’s large movable sensor, this rifle is fitted with the BP-SS-001 composite box-type sensor system utilized on the BR-M-79C-3 Beam Spray Gun and licensed from BOWA Corporation, granting the weapon improved targeting precision.
- HWF GMG·MG79-90mm Bullpup Machine Gun
- The bullpup machine gun was a system weapon developed as a Space/Ground dual use projectile weapon. Though compact, it has sufficient anti-MS firepower while maintaining accuracy. Its muzzle velocity is increased due to the use of new gunpowder and this enables it to easily penetrate the armor of Zeon's mobile suit. A box-like sensor system incorporating a video camera and laser sensor is installed at the top, and when this system is used alongside the Gundam's targeting system, target acquisition capability is enhanced.
- Hyper Bazooka
- A general purpose fire support rocket launcher platform for Mobile Suits. With considerable destructive power owing to the explosive yield in each warhead, the weapon was primarily used to destroy less-maneuverable battlefield targets such as warships, satellites, land battleships, bunkers, and buildings.
- NFHI RGM-M-Sh-AGD Shield
- The shield is a simple defense used to block most incoming ballistic and explosive projectiles. It is also treated with an anti-beam coating to defend against beam weapons, however the coating gets gradually burned away each time a beam strikes it until it is rendered useless. This shield is the same shield as used by the RGM-79G GM Command and RGM-79GS GM Command Space Type.
- Hyper Hammer
- An enhanced version of the gundam hammer. Like its predecessor, it is a large spiked ball attached to a chain. However, it also has several rockets mounted into the ball to allow it to maneuver more effectively as well as the ability to change its direction before impact, and to increase the damage it could cause.
The Mudrock was originally supposed to be launched into space and participate in the Operation Star One. However, the attack by the Zeon's Midnight Fenrir Corp special forces on Jaburo on November 30, 0079, caused Lieutenant Agar to pilot the incomplete Gundam Mudrock for the protection of the Pegasus-class ship SCV-73 Blanc Rival. Despite the Gundam's firepower, it was damaged along with the ship. Mudrock was later repaired and deployed in its completed form to assist in the recapture of the California Base. However, Agar once again found himself against the Midnight Fenrir, and in the ensuing battle, the Mudrock Gundam was severely damaged and forced to retire.
Notes & Trivia
- In the novel Mobile Suit Gundam: Zeonic Front 0079, the backpack-mounted cannons are depicted to be beam cannons, and it is said that they were not able to demonstrate proper performance because of a problem with the cooling system. Later, the output is reduced to 70% (still considered to be enough to destroy any Zeon mobile suit with a single hit), reducing the load on the power unit.
- Though it was not specified in the source material, the SD Gundam G Generation series, from Wars onwards, depicts the Mudrock Gundam as having magnetic coating.
- In G Generation Genesis, the Mudrock's cannons are depicted as solid shell weapons. However, since the Zeonic Front story in the game is based on the novelization, it is still shown firing beam cannons in cutscenes.