The RX-78-5 Gundam Unit 5 (aka "G05") is a mobile suit from Kunio Okawara's M-MSV original design series, designed as the 5th Gundam. Its design was updated for the video game Mobile Suit Gundam: Encounters In Space as well as the manga Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story: Space, To the End of a Flash.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The RX-78-5 Gundam Unit 5, more commonly referred to as "G05", was more advanced in many ways than its more famous predecessor. The Federation decided to convert the Gundam units 4 and 5, which were already in development, into space combat versions for use as main forces in the invasion of Solomon, A Baoa Qu, and then Zeon itself. These machines were based on the RX-78-2, and the replacement of the backpack and the addition of thrusters and propellant raised their mobility by roughly 40 percent. Their operating time was also extended, and it was anticipated that they would produce great combat results during lengthy battles, especially in attacks on space fortresses.
The biggest change was the elimination of the core block system. The space freed up was used for cooling systems, thus increasing the generator output and enabling the use of more powerful beam weapons. As a result, the armament was upgraded to include a hyper beam rifle, and one beam gun was installed in each forearm. Unlike the G04, the G05 was issued a shell-firing giant gatling gun. While this weapon is nowhere near as powerful as the G04's mega beam launcher, it had the advantages of not requiring extra energy to use, didn't need a charging period before it could be fired and had rapid-fire capabilities. The G05 can also be outfitted with a booster system that extended its effective range and operating time.
- Vulcan Gun
- Mounted in the head, the pair of shell firing weapons have high-rate of fire but little power and can't damage the armor of a mobile suit, though they can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. They are ideal for shooting down small, lightly armored targets such as missiles, attack vehicles, etc.
- Beam Saber
- The beam saber is a small device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. The beam saber can cut through most armor not treated with an anti-beam coating. The G05 has two beam sabers stored in the backpack.
- Hand Beam Gun
- Also known as "Beam Gun Unit", one is mounted on each forearm. The weapon is undergoing verification of its combat effectiveness, cost, serviceability, etc. It has a short effective range and is most suitable for use in close combat.
- XBR-M-79H-2 Hyper Beam Rifle
- An enhanced version of the beam rifle carried by the RX-78-2, it is powered by an E-Cap and has improved output as well as accuracy.
- Hyper Bazooka
- A general-purpose fire support rocket launcher platform for Mobile Suits. With considerable destructive power owing to the explosive yield in each warhead, the weapon was primarily used to destroy less-maneuverable battlefield targets such as warships, satellites, land battleships, bunkers, and buildings.
- Giant Gatling
- Cooperation between G05 and G04 was assumed from the beginning, and so their weaponry was developed to be able to provide coverage for each other. To that end, this custom armament with one of the highest power among the highly reliable shell-firing projectile weaponry was selected for G05 in case the G04's mega beam launcher could not be used. It was said to be developed to fire a barrage of bullets over a wide range as a followup to the charging and firing of the G04's mega beam launcher. The weapon has a caliber of 90mm and can fire 50 rounds per second. It is belt-fed via a large drum magazine containing 3000 caseless rounds that is attached to the left waist. A 5-second trigger limiter is applied to prevent barrel burning, but this limiter can be disabled through manual control.
- A basic arm-mounted defense armament for many mobile suits. The shield is a thick sheet of armor designed to take severe punishment that would normally destroy a mobile suit. Shields are also treated with an anti-beam coating to withstand several beam shots before the coating wears off. Typically physical shields can only take so much damage before they succumb to the pressure and break. The G05's shield has an unique feature, it is normally in its collapse form and can expand when required.
Special Equipment & Features
- Booster Pack (Bst)
- A special set of external fuel tanks and thrusters to give the unit higher speed and better maneuverability in space. The G05's operating time is also extended.
- Magnet Coating
- A special membrane treatment applied to mobile suit joints to improve their response speed. The mobile suits developed by the Earth Federation Forces use special actuators called field motors, whose efficiency is increased by the magnet coating process. The treatment also reduces friction resistance in the mobile suit's joints.
Deployed with the RX-78-4 Gundam Unit 4 "G04" to the 16th Autonomous Mobile Squadron and assigned to the Pegasus-class warship, the SCVA-72 Thoroughbred. Due to its late introduction in the One Year War, the RX-78-5 Gundam Unit 5 "G05" saw little action. It mainly participated in interdiction missions between the Moon and Side 3. The high point of its combat deployment was its defense of Republic of Zeon Prime Minister Darcia Bakarov as he traveled to Granada at the end of the War for the signing of the Peace Treaty. In this fight, it engaged with several of the newest experimental mobile suits and mobile armors under development at the lunar base. It completed its mission and saw the end of the war, though what became of it after the peace accords is unknown.
Notes and Trivia