The RX-78-5 Gundam Unit 5 (aka "G05") is a mobile suit from Kunio Okawara's M-MSV original design series, designed as the 5th Gundam. Its design was updated for the video game Mobile Suit Gundam: Encounters In Space as well as the manga Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story: Space, To the End of a Flash.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The RX-78-5 Gundam Unit 5, more commonly referred to as "G05", was more advanced in many ways than its more famous predecessor. The Federation decided to convert the Gundam unit 4 (also known as "G04") and Unit 5, which were already in development, into space combat versions for use as main forces in the invasion of Solomon, A Baoa Qu, and then Zeon itself. These machines were based on the RX-78-2, and the replacement of the backpack and the addition of thrusters and propellant raised their mobility by roughly 40 percent. Their operating time was also extended, and it was anticipated that they would produce great combat results during lengthy battles, especially in attacks on space fortresses.
The biggest change was the elimination of the core block system. The space freed up was used for cooling systems, thus increasing the generator output and enabling the use of more powerful beam weapons. As a result, the armament was upgraded to include a hyper beam rifle, and one beam gun was installed in each forearm. Although the G05 is basically the same as the G04, the G05's cooling mechanisms and generator are less powerful, resulting in its chest ducts having a different shape. On the other hand, the G05 has fewer experimental elements than the G04, so it has more stable operation. The G05 can also be outfitted with a booster system that extended its effective range and operating time.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- A pair of shell-firing armament built into the head. Though not powerful, its high rate of fire meant it was employed to intercept incoming missiles, etc.
- Beam Saber
- The beam saber is a small device held in the mobile suit's hands when deployed and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. It emits high-energy Minovsky particles to form a blade-shaped I-field (via manipulation of electromagnetic fields), and then fills this I-field shell with superheated Minovsky particle plasma to produce an effective cutting blade. The G05 has two beam sabers stored in the backpack.
- Hand Beam Gun
- Also known as "Beam Gun Unit", one is mounted on each forearm. The weapon is undergoing verification of its combat effectiveness, cost, serviceability, etc. It has a short effective range and is most suitable for use in close combat.
- XBR-M-79H-2 Hyper Beam Rifle
- An enhanced version of the beam rifle carried by the RX-78-2. In addition to having improved accuracy, its output is said to be 20% to 40% higher than the RX-78-2's model.
- Hyper Bazooka
- A general-purpose fire support rocket launcher platform for Mobile Suits. With considerable destructive power owing to the explosive yield in each warhead, the weapon was primarily used to destroy less-maneuverable battlefield targets such as warships, satellites, land battleships, bunkers, and buildings.
- Giant Gatling
- Cooperation between G05 and G04 was assumed from the beginning, and so their weaponry was developed to provide coverage for each other. To that end, this custom armament with one of the highest power among the highly reliable shell-firing projectile weaponry was selected for G05 in case the G04's mega beam launcher could not be used. It was said to be developed to fire a barrage of bullets over a wide range as a follow-up to the charging and firing of the G04's mega beam launcher. The weapon has a caliber of 90mm and can fire 50 rounds per second. It is belt-fed via a large drum magazine containing 3000 caseless rounds that is attached to a mount latch below the G05's backpack, on the left side. A 5-second trigger limiter is applied to prevent barrel burning, but this limiter can be disabled through manual control. When not in use, it is attached to a mount latch below the backpack, on the right side.
- A basic defense armament for many mobile suits. The shield used by the G04 and G05 has an unique feature that allows it to collapse or extend to suit the combat situation.
Special Equipment & Features
- Magnet Coating
- A special membrane treatment applied to mobile suit joints to improve their response speed. The mobile suits developed by the Earth Federation Forces use special actuators called field motors, whose efficiency is increased by the magnet coating process. The treatment also reduces friction resistance in the mobile suit's joints.
- Booster Pack (Bst)
- A special set of external fuel tanks and thrusters to give the unit higher speed and better maneuverability in space. The G05's operating time is also extended.
Deployed with the RX-78-4 Gundam Unit 4 "G04" to the 16th Autonomous Mobile Squadron and assigned to the Pegasus-class warship, the SCVA-72 Thoroughbred. Due to its late introduction in the One Year War, the RX-78-5 Gundam Unit 5 "G05" saw little action. It mainly participated in interdiction missions between the Moon and Side 3. The high point of its combat deployment was its defense of Republic of Zeon Prime Minister Darcia Bakarov as he traveled to Granada at the end of the War for the signing of the Peace Treaty. In this fight, it engaged with several of the newest experimental mobile suits and mobile armors under development at the lunar base. It completed its mission and saw the end of the war, though what became of it after the peace accords is unknown.
Notes and Trivia