Technology & Combat Characteristics
The RX-78-2 Gundam Real Type is prototype close-quarters combat mobile suit. The Gundam Real Type is no different than the RX-78-2 Gundam. Built from lightweight Luna Titanium, its frame was both lighter than that of Zeon's mass-produced Mobile Suits and much sturdier, able to shrug off a Zaku's machine gun fire with little to no damage. Its offensive power was above and beyond that of the Zeon Zakus. The Gundam would engage in most battles with its Beam Rifle making it the first Mobile Suit to have firepower equivalent to a battleship beam cannon. In addition, it made use of two beam sabers, a blade of extremely hot plasma which could cut through any metal with ease. The Gundam Real Type was also equipped with 60mm vulcan guns that were chain guns stored on the sides of the Gundam Real Type's head.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- The Vulcan guns were 60mm chain guns stored on the sides of the Gundam's head. Having the greatest rate of fire of all the Gundam's weapons these are primarily used to ward off advancing enemies, shoot down missiles, or hit other fast moving targets.
- Beam Saber
- The beam sabers use Minovsky particles held in place by an I-Field to form an effective cutting surface that can slice through nearly any material. The particles for the beam sabers are stored by E-cap in the hilt of the saber, which is recharged from the Gundam's reactor when the saber is returned to its socket.
- Beam Rifle
- The Beam Rifle is the primary weapon used by the Gundam. Making use of the Federations E-cap (or "energy capacitor") technology, the rifle uses charged concentrations of mega-particles as ammunition. This gives the beam rifle firepower equivalent to that of a battleship's main cannon.
- Hand-carried, forearm-mounted or stored on the Gundam's backpack, the shield is a simple defense used to block most incoming ballistic and explosive projectiles. Also used to great effect in close quarters battle with enemy mobile suits. Has a view port than can be sealed off with an internal blast plate.
The RX-78-2 Gundam Real Type and the G-Fighter Real Type only appeared in tactical computer simulations used by the Earth Federation Forces during the end of the One Year War. The battle simulations of the Gundam Real Type were to gather data analysis on further improvements on the Gundam. The color scheme of the Gundam Real Type is to differentiate it from the RX-78-2 Gundam while tested in the computer simulations.
Notes and Trivia
- Gundam Real Type originally appeared on a poster for Mobile Suit Gundam II: Soldiers of Sorrow, fighting the Black Tri-Stars. The poster simply referred to it as "RX-78 Gundam", and the name "Real Type Gundam" was given in the 1/100 model released in 1982.