The RX-78-2 Gundam + B-Parts (aka Gundam Sky) is a mobile weapon that appears in the Mobile Suit Gundam TV series.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
This form was the result of the Gundam combining with the B-Parts of the G-Fighter. It allowed the Gundam to achieve high speed while retaining the ability to use all of its weapons.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- A basic armament of many Federation mobile suits, a pair of 60mm three-barrel vulcan guns were mounted in the Gundam's head and were used for mid-range and close combat defense. While ineffective against the armor of other mobile suits, they were useful for intercepting incoming missiles/rockets, destroying mobile suit sensors, and attacking lightly-armored vehicles.
- Beam Saber
- The Gundam was armed with a pair of beam sabers with an output of 0.38 MW for melee combat, and they were stored on the sides of the backpack. One beam saber could be kept as a reserve weapon, or both could be wielded simultaneously. The beam saber emitted high-energy Minovsky particles from an E-cap within the handle and contained them in a blade-shaped I-field. The resulting blade of superheated particles was able to cut through almost any material not treated with an anti-beam coating. The beam saber's E-cap was recharged using the mobile suit's reactor when the weapon was stored.
- BOWA*XBR-M-79-07G Beam Rifle
- A revolutionary weapon for its time, the beam rifle was the primary weapon of the Gundam. It was a miniaturized version of a mega particle cannon with an output of 1.9 megawatts. The beam rifle employed the Federation's energy capacitor, or E-cap, technology and used charged concentrations of Minovsky particles as ammunition. The resulting weapon had power equivalent to that of a battleship's main gun at the time of the One Year War, allowing it to defeat a mobile suit with a single shot. The rifle can fire 12-15 shots when fully charged. It also featured an offset, movable sensor that interfaced with the RX-78’s Fire Control System (FCS) to achieve a high degree of accuracy, as well as a foregrip for firing support. When not in use, the beam rifle could be stored on the back of the Gundam's waist or behind its shield.
- RX*M-Sh-008/S-01025 Shield
- The Gundam's shield was a simple defensive equipment that could be carried by its handle or mounted on the mobile suit's forearm. When not in use, the shield could also be stored on the backpack. Weighing 10 tons, it was a simplification of the armor structure on the Gundam's body and was designed for shock diffusion and absorption rather than robustness. It featured a triple honeycomb structure, with a high-density ceramic material based on super-hard steel alloy sandwiched between aramid fibers and an outermost layer made of luna titanium alloy. The surface of the shield was filled with a resin made of a polymer material for improved elasticity. Used to block most physical and beam attacks, the shield was effective in close quarters combat and could be thrown as a weapon. The shield could also be used to deflect heat away from the mobile suit during atmospheric re-entry.
- 4-Tube Missile Launcher
- A retractable 4-tube missile launcher was mounted at the rear of the B-Parts, below the main thrusters.
Special Equipment & Features