|Please note that this is the Gundam Wiki's article on the titular mobile suit of Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin; if you are looking for the article on the titular mobile suit of Mobile Suit Gundam then you should head to RX-78-2 Gundam.|
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Comparing to the TV series version, RX-78-02 has more fixed weapons with two shoulder magnums on the left shoulder and a gatling gun on the right shoulder. It's also possible to swap a beam saber with a shoulder cannon. Unlike the TV series version, it doesn't have equipment for atmospheric re-entry, nor does it use the Core Block System until it was upgraded at Jaburo with a Core Pod.
The project was proposed by Tem Ray in the year U.C. 0078 after he watched the footage of a MS-04 operating in the A Bao A Qu region. He immediately realized that, had the Federation gone ahead with mass-producing the Guncannon, geared toward ship combat at the time, the mobile suits would fare poorly against these Zakus. While the Federation at first believed the RX-77-01 would suffice, Tem's theory was proven true during the Battle of Mare Smythii, in which 4 MS-05 Zakus, alongside the MS-04 Bugu, wiped out the 12 Guncannons of the Iron Cavalry Squadron, and thus illustrated to the Federation the need of a Mobile Suit geared toward for Mobile Suit Combat, leading to the approval of the RX-78 Gundam development Project. Amuro Ray later discovered that his father was not just working on colony construction as he discovered the suit's blueprints and a scaled-down RX-78-02 arm in his father's room .
One Year War (U.C. 0079)
Side 7 (September)
On the day Zakus infiltrated the Noa colony, Amuro Ray was at his computer accessing top-secret Federation data. After coming across another security layer, he opened a file containing a diagram of the Gundam's head. He saw the name "RX-78 Gundam", more "weird numbers" and schematics. As Fraw entered his house, Amuro also saw a diagram of a Zaku and how it had a fusion engine within its torso, strengthening his beliefs that his father had more than just colony blueprints.
Notes & Trivia
- It was the first mobile weapon from Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin to be given a full Master Grade model .
- Curiously, the cover art drawn by Yasuhiko used by both the Japanese R2 and the R1 Anime Legends volume 1 DVD releases of Mobile Suit Gundam features the RX-78-02 Gundam . Another artpiece by Yasuhiko also features the RX-78-02 Gundam and it utilised on western releases of the movie trilogy since 2017, however the "02" is obscured by Char's helmet.
- ↑ Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin Episode 4, Eve of Destiny
- ↑ Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin Panel - MCM London Comic Con (28th May 2016)
- ↑ Master Grade MG 1/100 RX-78-02 GUNDAM (GUNDAM THE ORIGIN VER.) (Archived)
- ↑