|Please note that this is the Gundam Wiki's article on the titular mobile suit of Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin; if you are looking for the article on the titular mobile suit of Mobile Suit Gundam then you should head to RX-78-2 Gundam.|
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The operation tests of the RX-78-02, a prototype MS of the Earth Federation, were carried out in secret, but civilian Amuro Ray coincidentally became its pilot when Zeon Forces assaulted Side 7.
Compared to the TV series version, the RX-78-02 still utilizes its wide array of portable weapons such as its beam rifle and hyper bazooka. One difference to its TV version is the inclusion of more fixed weapons; such as two shoulder magnums on the left shoulder, a gatling gun on the right shoulder, and a forearm gattling gun on its left arm. It's also possible to swap a beam saber with an optional armament known as the shoulder cannon.
Unlike the TV series version it doesn't have equipment for atmospheric re-entry. Furthermore its unable to transform its Beam Sabers to Beam Javelins, its Gundam Hammer doesn't exist, nor does it use the Core Block System until it was upgraded to have one at Jaburo.
As the war progressed to its latter stages, the RX-78-02 was reconfigured into its Late Type/Middle Type form. When the fighting was moved into space a majority of its fixed weapons were removed and swapped with extra thrusters for better mobility and gate shaped armor on the shoulders. Several fixed weapons were removed such as the forearm gattling gun, the two shoulder magnums, shoulder gattling gun, and the shoulder cannon not being used more often. It's weapons were also changed too, with its beam rifle taking a similar appearance to its TV counterpart.
- Beam Rifle
- The beam rifle is the primary weapon used by the Gundam. This weapon has also been confirmed to be utilized by the RX-78-01 Prototype Gundam and the GM, hence its similar appearance and equipment. A new form of the beam rifle called the Beam Rifle (Middle Type) was utilized during the later times of the war, taking an appearance similar to its TV counterpart.
- Shoulder Cannon
- A medium range, solid shell firearm with a magazine mounted in the rear. It's set on the left side of the backpack after swapping out the beam saber and has a moveable base. It boasts in power compared to the Zaku II, able to destroy the suit in one shot.
- Hyper Bazooka
- A portable recoiless gun. It is used by carrying it over the shoulder and is frequently used by Amuro in tandem with the shoulder cannon for extra power.
- Vulcan Guns
- Installled within the head of the Gundam, mainly for intercepting incoming missiles/rockets, destroying mobile suit sensors, and engaging lightly-armored vehicles.
- Forearm Gattling Gun
- Installed on the left forearm, attached to the gate-shaped parts on the cuffs. Similar to the head Vulcans it can be used to tear apart infantry and dissuade incoming Mobile Suits from too getting close.
- Shoulder Magnum
- Used mainly for intercepting incoming projectiles, and engaging lightly-armored vehicles, it can also be used to deal damage to other MS that are within melee range.
- Shoulder Gattling Gun
- A small minigun installed on the right shoulder of the Gundam. It functions similarly to its other fixed weaponry.
- An armament with extremely high defensive capablities obtained by adopting a multi-layer structure made of multiple materials.
- Beam Saber
- A combat armament mounted on the backpack. Its blade-shaped beam can instantaneously cut through the armor of the mobile suit. Unlike it's TV Version it can't turn into a Beam Javelin.
Special Equipment & Features
- After arriving in Jaburo the RX-78-02 was finally refit into having a Core Fighter. Like its TV Counterpart the Core Block can eject in case of emergency and unfold into a small Core Fighter.
The project was proposed by Tem Ray in the year U.C. 0078 after he watched the footage of a MS-04 operating in the A Bao A Qu region. He immediately realized that, had the Federation gone ahead with mass-producing the Guncannon, geared toward ship combat at the time, the mobile suits would fare poorly against these Zakus. While the Federation at first believed the RX-77-01 would suffice, Tem's theory was proven true during the Battle of Mare Smythii, in which 4 MS-05 Zakus, alongside the MS-04 Bugu, wiped out the 12 Guncannons of the Iron Cavalry Squadron, and thus illustrated to the Federation the need of a Mobile Suit geared toward for Mobile Suit Combat, leading to the approval of the RX-78 Gundam development Project. Amuro Ray later discovered that his father was not just working on colony construction as he discovered the suit's blueprints and a scaled-down RX-78-02 arm in his father's room .
One Year War (U.C. 0079)
Side 7 (September)
On the day Zakus infiltrated the Noa colony, Amuro Ray was at his computer accessing top-secret Federation data. After coming across another security layer, he opened a file containing a diagram of the Gundam's head. He saw the name "RX-78 Gundam", more "weird numbers" and schematics. As Fraw entered his house, Amuro also saw a diagram of a Zaku and how it had a fusion engine within its torso, strengthening his beliefs that his father had more than just colony blueprints.
Notes & Trivia
- It was the first mobile weapon from Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin to be given a full Master Grade model .
- Curiously, the cover art drawn by Yasuhiko used by both the Japanese R2 and the R1 Anime Legends volume 1 DVD releases of Mobile Suit Gundam features the RX-78-02 Gundam . Another artpiece by Yasuhiko also features the RX-78-02 Gundam and it utilised on western releases of the movie trilogy since 2017, however the "02" is obscured by Char's helmet.
- ↑ Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin Episode 4, Eve of Destiny
- ↑ Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin Panel - MCM London Comic Con (28th May 2016)
- ↑ Master Grade MG 1/100 RX-78-02 GUNDAM (GUNDAM THE ORIGIN VER.) (Archived)
- ↑