The RX-78-01[FSD] Gundam FSD (Full-Scale Development) is a mobile suit from Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin MSD: Cucuruz Doan's Island.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Testings of the RX-78-01［N］ Gundam Local Types were completed, and with the mass production RGM-79 GMs under development, an order to create a RX-78 type to be utilized by a unit was handed down. RX-78-01［FSD］Gundam FSD is a Full-Scale Development unit, created to enhance various armaments and mechanics. Although it shares some parts with the Gundam Local Type, the Gundam FSD was redesigned with mass production in mind, gaining improved basic performance and operability. While its exterior has similarity to the Gundam Local Type's, such as using the same backpack capable of equipping various weapons, it also has unique parts such as the chest intakes. Demonstration tests were conducted in various places, and there were unofficial reports of two units fighting in Jaburo. The suit brought back valuable data for the development team, advancing the RX plan, eventually leading to the FSWS (Full-armor Systems and Weapon System).
- Prototype Long Range Beam Rifle
- Following the development of the RX-78-01 Prototype Gundam's beam rifle, work on a long range beam rifle started. For high stability during shooting, the prototype long range beam rifle can be mounted on the compact shield (that has a bipod) via a gun mount. The rifle's barrel is unable to withstand long period of beam irradiation and will burn out. The rifle's main grip can be mounted at one of two locations, and the weapon can be dismantled when not in use. The rifle (either in its complete form or a partially dismantled state) can be stored on the suit's backpack in place of one of the beam saber storage rack. By discarding the rifle's barrel and scope, the weapon can be used as a beam gun with weaker firepower. It is also possible for the beam gun to be equipped with the scope.
- Beam Saber
- A combat armament stored on the backpack, its blade-shaped beam can instantaneously cut through the armor of a mobile suit. Besides the two on the backpack, two more can be carried on the compact shield.
- Gatling Gun
- An optional armament, it is attached to the right forearm when equipped. It can be fed via an ammo belt attached to a drum magazine mounted on the right side skirt armor and position behind the waist, or by an onboard small drum magazine. A spare small drum magazine can be carried on the side skirt armor.
- The same compact shield as used by the Gundam Local Type, it is for close combat and a bipod is installed behind it. Two beam sabers can be carried on the back as well.
- Large Shield
- A new shield with a larger defensive area than the one used by the Gundam Local Type. It can be folded in the middle, becoming more compact to suit the Gundam FSD's mission.
- Machine Gun
- The same firearm as used by Gundam Local Type, it is developed by Yashima Heavy Industrial. An improved production model was later used by other mobile suits. Spare magazine for the weapon can be carried on the side skirt armor.
- Beam Rifle
- An improved version of the beam rifle used by the Prototype Gundam and RX-78-02 Gundam. The rifle's fore grip is replaced by a drum-shaped E-Cap, which increased the number of shots by about 80%.
- Like the Gundam Local Type, the Gundam FSD has a visor attached to its head, protecting it from dust and bright light.
A pair of Gundam FSD, one white and one black, were encountered by Vasily Bosch during the battle of Jaburo in U.C.0079, dropping into battle from a Gunperry. Vasily, piloting the YMS-08B Dom Test Type, engaged the black unit. Meanwhile, the white unit shot down a Gaw using its prototype beam rifle, burning out its barrel in the process. Despite wanting revenge against the black unit for his comrades that died in North America, Vasily realized that the white unit was the bigger threat, and moved to engage it.
The white unit discarded the burned-out barrel of the prototype beam rifle, turning it into a beam gun and fired at Vasily, detonating the Dom Test Type's bazooka magazine and forcing Vasily to discard the bazooka. Meanwhile, the black unit drew its beam saber and attacked Vasily from behind. While Vasily was occupied, the white unit picked up the spare prototype beam rifle carried by the black unit and once again took aim at the Gaws above.
The black unit stood in front of the white unit to defend it from the Dom Test Type. However, Vasily was able to avoid its attack and cut off its ammo belt with his heat saber. He then tackled the white unit and rove it into a pit before it could fire a second shot. At the bottom of the pit, four MS-06CK Zaku Half Cannon piloted by Sascha Kitz's squad rained down fire on the Gundam just as it was landing. However, as the smoke cleared, the Gundam was revealed to have survived the barrage, apparently having dodged all of the shots. Firing its prototype beam rifle, it sliced through more than a dozen Zakus that landed in the pit, including a member of Kitz's squad.
As the surviving Zakus attempted to retreat, it fired again, destroying another four. While the Gundam was distracted by a Zaku throwing cracker grenades at it, Kitz fired his shoulder cannon at the Gundam. However, the Gundam blocked it using a Zaku shield it picked up, losing its arm in the process and collapsing to the ground. Just as Kitz was about to finish it with another shot, the black unit suddenly appeared and shot his Zaku Half Cannon in the shoulder with its beam rifle.
Just as the black unit was about to finish off Kitz, Kitz's two remaining subordinates fired at the Gundam, causing it to dodge out of the way. However, as they planned to rescue Kitz and finish off the white Gundam, the black Gundam quickly destroyed the two with beam saber and beam rifle. Enraged, Vasily charged at the black Gundam, engaging in melee combat. Through contact circuits, Vasily exclaimed to its pilot that he will not let them escape again. However, he heard through the circuit that General Revil has ordered all available mobile suits into the base, as it was being overwhelmed by enemy mobile suits. The black unit quickly broke off the fight, drawing its beam rifle on the Dom Test Type. Vasily destroyed the beam rifle with his heat hawk, but the resulting explosion immobilized the Dom Test Type, allowing the black unit to retreat and carry the damaged white unit into the base.
- In the images on the MSD website, the black unit carried the Gundam Local Type shield while the white unit carried the large, folding shield. However, in both the manga and the model kit, the opposite is true.
- "Monthly Gundam Ace", Kadokawa Shoten, November 2017
- High Grade 1/144 Gundam FSD model kit manual
- Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin Mechanical Archives
- Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin MSD Cucuruz Doan's Island Chapter 11
- Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin MSD Cucuruz Doan's Island Chapter 12
- Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin MSD Cucuruz Doan's Island Chapter 17
- Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin MSD Cucuruz Doan's Island Chapter 18
- Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin MSD Cucuruz Doan's Island Chapter 19