Technology & Combat Characteristics
A cheaper variant of the RX-77-2 Guncannon intended for mass production, the Guncannon Mass Production Type achieved significant reduction in cost through the abolishment of the Core Block System, sharing multiples parts with the RGM-79G GM Command series and the switch to titanium alloy ceramic composite armor. The change in armor material did not affect the robustness of the suit's heavy armor. Like the Guncannon, the Guncannon Mass Production Type serves as a middle range support unit and has a pair of 240mm Cannons for powerful bombardments. Additionally, an extendable stabilized gear is located in the back of the waist and it functions like an outrigger jack, granting better stability and firing precision when deployed during ground-based bombardment.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- Mounted in the head, these shell firing weapons have high-rate of fire but little power and can't damage the armor of a mobile suit, though they can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. They are ideal for shooting down small, lightly armored targets such as missiles, attack vehicles, etc.
- 240mm Cannon
- Similar to the RX-77-2 Guncannon, the Guncannon Mass Production Type has a pair of cannons mounted over the shoulders and their barrels extend during use. They serve as the suit's primary weapon for mid-range fire support.
- HWF GMG·MG79-90mm Bullpup Machine Gun
- The bullpup machine gun was a system weapon developed as a Space/Ground dual use projectile weapon. Though compact, it has sufficient anti-MS firepower while maintaining accuracy. Its muzzle velocity is increased due to the use of new gunpowder and this enables it to easily penetrate the armor of Zeon's mobile suit. A box-like sensor system incorporating a video camera and laser sensor is installed at the top, and when this system is used alongside the Guncannon Mass Production Type's targeting system, target acquisition capability is enhanced.
- YHI YF-MG100 100mm Machine Gun
- The standard armament for Federation's mobile suit ground forces during the One Year War that was developed by Yashima Heavy Industries. It has an alternate model number: "NF·GMG-Type.37/100mm". Equipped with a box magazine and folding stock, it has excellent rate of fire and is easy to wield. It utilized a smoothbore type barrel that lacked rifling and has to be replaced after firing 3000 rounds. The weapon could utilize three different types of ammunitions: HEAT (High Explosive Anti Tank), APFSDS (Armor-Piercing Fin-Stabilized Discarding-Sabot), and HESH (High Explosive Squash Head), allowing combat units to select the appropriate type to meet operational needs.
- NFHI RGM-M-Sh-AGD Shield
- The shield is a simple defense used to block most incoming ballistic and explosive projectiles. It is also treated with an anti-beam coating to defend against beam weapons, however the coating gets gradually burned away each time a beam strikes it until it is rendered useless. This shield is the same shield as used by the RGM-79G GM Command and RGM-79GS GM Command Space Type.
Special Equipment & Features
- The Guncannon Mass Production Type could gain atmospheric flight capability by equipping a Lightliner sub-flight system, which is attached to the MS's backpack and fixed in place with handles and an ankle hook.
Developed during the waning months of the One Year War, the Earth Federation Forces only made a trial production run of the RX-77D Guncannon Mass Production Type before stopping its production. In Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket, two units were assigned to the Scarlet Team stationed aboard the Pegasus-class assault carrier LMSD-76 Grey Phantom. One Guncannon Mass Production Type was also assigned to the White Dingo Team in Australia, and painted in the team's gray color scheme. Another unit was assigned to ace pilot Lydo Wolf and painted in his trademark black colors. The Guncannon Mass Production Type continued to operate in U.C 0081 and were used in operations against Zeon remnants.
Notes and Trivia
- Artist Yutaka Izubuchi initially designed the RX-77D as an update to the dated design of the original RX-77 Guncannon during the development of Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket. The design was briefly used to represent the original Guncannon during a brief scene in Mobile Suit SD Gundam Mk IV, identified as Kai Shiden's mobile suit by its numeration, but would ultimately be classified as a distinct Mass Production variant afterwards.
|Mobile Suit Gundam 0080 Mechanics|
|Earth Federation Forces|
RGM-79D GM Cold Districts Type | RGM-79G GM Command | RGM-79GS GM Command Space Type | RGM-79SP GM Sniper II | RX-77D Guncannon Mass Production Type | RX-78NT-1 Gundam "Alex"
Cold District Use APC
|Transporter / Supply Ship|
63 STS "Ginga" | C-88 Medea
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
LMSD-76 Gray Phantom
|Principality of Zeon|
| Mobile Suit|
MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai | MS-09R-2 Rick Dom II | MS-14Jg Gelgoog Jäger | MS-18E Kämpfer | MSM-03C Hygogg | MSM-07E Z'Gok-E
|Ship / Submarine|
|Transporter / Supply Ship|
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
Musai-class Final Production Type | Tivvay-class
RH-35E Riah 35 Draken-E