Technology & Combat Characteristics
A mobile suit developed from the Guncannon for underwater combat. Its chest, knee and backpack are equipped with hydrojets for underwater propulsion. Instead of the original's 240mm Cannons and Beam Rifle, the Guncannon Aqua is instead armed with Torpedo Launch Tubes, Needle Gun and Beam Sabers. The version depicted in the manga has red color scheme similar to the original Guncannon, while the ONA version has a blue color scheme.
- Needle Gun
- A special rifle that uses compressed air to launch solid metal needles that can pierce most armor, including those of submarines and amphibious mobile suits.
- Torpedo Launch Tube
- Mounted on the back, six on each side of the backpack.
- Beam Saber
- Stored in the side armor, it emits a blade-shaped beam for cutting and piercing enemy mobile suits. Can be used on land or in the water, but with lower effectiveness.
In August UC 0080, Bianca Carlyle of the assault carrier Spartan engaged a Zeon remnant MSM-03 Gogg at Antarctica. The Guncannon Aqua was severely damaged during the battle, necessitating its disassembly to conduct repairs.
In the manga, it was later deployed in a squadron with 3 RB-79［M］ Ball Marine Types during the operation to capture the potential Psycho Zaku pilot candidates at the Rig. During the chase of Prober-class submarine carrying the pilots, it was taken out by mines in freezy yard and suffered damages to its left arm and core area. It then surfaced due to a hull breach and was later found on a nearby flooded town. After the Guncannon Aqua was repaired, it was retrofitted for land use and underwent training with the RX-78AL Atlas Gundam and the 3 RX-79［GS］ Gundam Ground Type S. After this, the Guncannon Aqua was loaded on Landing Craft 3 (Orestes) and deployed at Taal volcano to stop the Psycho Zaku's launch.
Notes and Trivia
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Official Website for Gundam Thunderbolt ONA
- ↑ Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt ONA Episode 6