Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Federation's prototype RX-77 Guncannon was designed as a heavily armed support mobile suit for its' brother units RX-78-2 Gundam and RX-75 Guntank. Over the course of the One Year War, the Federation created variations of the Guncannon to be outfitted for specific roles. The Guncannon was revamped into several designs, one of them being the Guncannon Heavy Arms Type. Although it is simply an external update to a normal Guncannon, it was proven a great success and fielded for combat on Earth. While it retained the head vulcans and beam rifle of the RX-77-2, the RX-77-3 however featured improved armor, updated 240mm Cannons and a new grenade rack.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- A standard armament of the mobile suits descended from the Earth Federation Forces's RX series is a pair of head mounted 60mm vulcan guns. These shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire but little power and can't damage the thick armor of a mobile suit, though they can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. They are ideal for shooting down small, lightly armored targets such as missiles, small vehicles, etc.
- 240mm Cannon
- A pair of 240mm cannons are mounted over the shoulders as mid-range fire support weapons, with each cannon fed by a 20 round internal magazine located inside the main body of the mobile suit. Each 240 x 800mm shell has a 95kg HE fragmentation warhead, with a casualty radius of 40m. Can fire to distances up to 2.5km. The Guncannon Heavy Arms Type's cannons are improved, with reduced recoil during firing and better reloading mechanism.
- BAUVA*XBR-L Beam Rifle
- The Guncannon Heavy Arms Type can be equipped with the same beam rifle as the RX-77-2 Guncannon. It is powered via an internal energy capacitor with an average charge of 15 rounds. Each beam is capable of tearing through the armor of enemy MS and MA. Maximum effective range of 2.8km.
- BOWA·BR-S-85-C2 Beam Rifle
- An alternative beam rifle model, this is the same weapon as used by RMS-179 GM II. It has a power rating of 1.9 MW and is powered by a rechargeable energy cap.
- "Fire Nut" Grenades
- The Guncannon Heavy Arms Type is equipped with a set of "Fire Nut" grenades stored inside a rack on its left waist armor. Thrown like regular grenades when used, it engulfs the target in flames upon impact.
During the early part of the Gryps Conflict in UC 0087, at least one Guncannon Heavy Arms Type was known to have participated in the defense of the Earth Federation's Jaburo base.
Notes and Trivia
FA-78-2 Heavy Gundam | RGM-79L GM Light Armor | RX-77-3 Guncannon Heavy Arms Type | RX-77-4 Guncannon II | RX-78-3 Gundam "G-3" | TGM-79 GM Trainer
|Aircraft / Spacecraft|
Corvette Booster | Guncarry | Lightliner
|Principality of Zeon|
MS-06R-2 Zaku II High Mobility Type | MS-10 Pezun Dowadge | MS-11 Action Zaku | MS-12 Gigan | MS-13 Gasshia | MS-17 Galbaldy α
|Aircraft / Spacecraft|