Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Federation's prototype RX-77 Guncannon was designed as a heavily armed support mobile suit for its' brother units RX-78-2 Gundam and RX-75 Guntank. Over the course of the One Year War, the Federation created variations of the Guncannon to be outfitted for specific roles. The Guncannon was revamped into several designs, one of them being the Guncannon Heavy Arms Type. Although it is simply an external update to a normal Guncannon, it was proven a great success and fielded for combat on Earth. While it retained the head vulcans and beam rifle of the RX-77-2, the RX-77-3 however featured improved armor, updated 240mm Cannons and a new grenade rack.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- A standard armament of the mobile suits that are descended from the Earth Federation Forces's RX series is a pair of head mounted 60mm vulcan guns. These shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire but have little power and can't damage the thick armor of a mobile suit, though it can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. The weapons are ideal for shooting down small, fast moving, lightly armored targets such as missiles, small land vehicles, and attack helicopters.
- 240mm Cannon
- A pair of 240mm cannons are mounted over either shoulder of the Guncannon Heavy Arms type. The mid-range fire support artillery cannon is fed by a twenty (20) round internal magazine located inside the main body of the mobile suit. Each 240 x 800 millimeter shell has a 95 kilogram HE fragmentation warhead, with a casualty radius of 40 meters. Can fire to distances up to 2.5 kilometers. For RX-77-3 Guncannon Heavy Arms type, its shoulder cannons had been improved with reduced recoil during firing and better reloading mechanism which enhanced its artillery performance.
- BAUVA*XBR-L Beam Rifle
- The Guncannon Heavy Arms Type can be equipped with a larger and longer-range portable mega particle cannon than the RX-78 GUNDAM. It is powered via an internal energy capacitor with an average charge of fifteen (15) rounds. Each beam is capable of tearing through the medium and heavy armor of enemy MS and MA. Maximum effective range of 2.8 kilometers.
- BOWA·BR-S-85-C2 Beam Rifle
- The standard ranged armament of the many mobile suits is the beam rifle. The particle beam fired from a beam rifle can penetrate almost any armor that has not been treated with specific counter-measures. The beam rifle has a power rating of 1.9 MW and is powered by a rechargeable energy cap.
- "Fire Nut" Grenades
- The RX-77-3 is equipped with a set of Fire Nut grenades which are stored inside an open rack on its left waist armor. A compact, powerful bomb which can be hand-thrown by Federation's mobile suits, the Fire Nut can be thrown like regular grenades and set to detonate upon impact with the target. It is powerful enough to destroy an enemy's mobile suit.
During the early part of the Gryps Conflict in UC 0087, at least one Guncannon Heavy Arms Type was known to have participated in the defense of the Earth Federation's Jaburo base.
Notes and Trivia
FA-78-2 Heavy Gundam | RGM-79L GM Light Armor | RX-77-3 Guncannon Heavy Arms Type | RX-77-4 Guncannon II | RX-78-3 Gundam "G-3" | TGM-79 GM Trainer
|Aircraft / Spacecraft|
Corvette Booster | Guncarry | Lightliner
|Principality of Zeon|
| Mobile Suit|
MS-06R-2 Zaku II High Mobility Type | MS-10 Pezun Dowadge | MS-11 Action Zaku | MS-12 Gigan | MS-13 Gasshia | MS-17 Galbaldy α
|Aircraft / Spacecraft|