Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Guncannon was a step up from the RX-75-4 Guntank; while the Guntank was more "tank" than mobile suit, the Guncannon was a true mobile suit with limbs. However, it did share the Guntank's Core Block System, using the same FF-X7 Core Fighter. It is based on the data of the RXM-1 prototype bipedal robot. The first Guncannon was the prototype RX-77-1A Guncannon A, which had poor mobility due to its heavy armor. The second version, RX-77-2 Guncannon, corrected this problem.
The Guncannon has luna titanium alloy armor, which was later adopted by the Gundam. Unlike the Gundam, the Gunncanon is designed with an emphasis on armor thickness instead of mobility and thus does not require a shield. The Guncannon's head has a simpler appearance than the Gundam's, but more complex sensors are installed for ranged bombardment. Although heavier than the Gundam, the Guncannon can jump and fly for a very short period of time under gravity due to powerful thrusters in its backpack.
In terms of armaments, it has two 60mm vulcan guns in the head for defensive purposes, and the twin 240mm cannons on the shoulders are its primary weapon, which was used for the mobile suit's design purpose: mid-range support. The Guncannon was also the first mobile suit used by the Earth Federation Forces capable of firing a beam rifle.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- A basic armament of many Federation mobile suits, a pair are mounted in the Guncannon's head. The Vulcan Guns are mainly for intercepting incoming missiles/rockets, destroying mobile suit sensors, and engaging lightly-armored vehicles.
- 240mm Cannon
- A pair of 240mm cannons are mounted on the shoulders for mid-range fire support. These low recoil cannons are the Guncannon's main weapon and can fire around 40 shots. As the cannons' barrels are fitted with water cooled jackets, their firing rate are comparable to those of the Zaku Machine Gun.
- Spray Missile Launcher
- The two 240mm cannons can be replaced by two spray missile launchers, which consist of 12 tubes, each tube containing 2 missiles for a total of 24 missiles per launcher. While they do not have the penetration power or the rate of fire of beam weapons, the rockets are not affected by line of sight and any type of anti-beam coating.
- XBR-M-79a Beam Rifle
- Made and developed by the BOWA corporation specifically for the Guncannon. This particular beam rifle is classified as a XBR-L type despite its model number, and is specialized for sniping. Compared to the XBR-M type beam rifle used by the Gundam, it was harder to use but had higher accuracy and longer range. It was originally unusable due to issues with generator output, but this was resolved following modifications at Luna II. It is said to have a range of around 30km.
- YHI YF-MG100 100mm Machine Gun
- The standard armament for Federation's mobile suit ground forces during the One Year War that was developed by Yashima Heavy Industries. It has an alternate model number: "NF·GMG-Type.37/100mm". Equipped with a box magazine and folding stock, it has excellent rate of fire and is easy to wield. It utilized a smoothbore type barrel that lacked rifling and has to be replaced after firing 3000 rounds. The weapon could utilize three different types of ammunitions: HEAT (High Explosive Anti Tank), APFSDS (Armor-Piercing Fin-Stabilized Discarding-Sabot), and HESH (High Explosive Squash Head), allowing combat units to select the appropriate type to meet operational needs.
- Hand Grenade
- A hand grenade is stored in a secured hatch on the lower part of each leg. Once the grenade is removed from storage, it is already armed. There is a five to seven-second fuse, allowing enough time for the Guncannon to throw the grenade safely away.
Special Equipment & Features
- The prototype mobile suits produced by the Earth Federation Forces' Operation V, are equipped with a central block which houses the mobile suit's cockpit, control systems, and main power source. This core block can eject in case of emergency and unfold into a small Core Fighter.
During the Zeon attack on Side 7, only one RX-77-2 Guncannon survived the attack. It was stationed aboard the Pegasus-Class assault carrier White Base and piloted by Kai Shiden. However, when the White Base made its way to Jaburo, another unit was transferred to the White Base to replace the Guntank. It was piloted by Hayato Kobayashi. To separate the two units, they were named the "C-108" and "C-109". Both units were heavily damaged at the last battle of the One Year War at the Zeon's space fortress A Baoa Qu. A third unit, codenamed "203", also participated in the battle, though its ultimate fate was unknown. Kai's Guncannon later reappears in Hayato's mobile suit museum in Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam.
The RX-77-2 Guncannon was the only "V Project" mobile suit to ever be produced in limited numbers. It served as a main mobile suit until the Federation introduced the RGM-79 GM; however, due to the high cost of beam weapons, many Guncannon units were armed with conventional machine guns or rifles. Some unlucky pilots were not issued a hand weapon at all, and had to rely on the Guncannon's built-in armaments. In the Mobile Suit Gundam: Zeonic Front video game, a three-man Guncannon squad was commanded by young, brash Federation pilot, Lieutenant Agar (who would later become pilot of the RX-78-6 Mudrock Gundam). This team would pursue the infamous "Midnight Fenrir Corps" Zeon special forces mobile suit team up to the Battle of Jaburo. Also in Mobile Suit Gundam: Cross Dimension 0079 video game, at least two Guncannons was used by the Albatross transportation team in the Gobi Desert, though game's dialogue said they already lost several of them. Three units were also assigned to the SCVA-72 Thoroughbred.
Notes and Trivia
- In Mobile Suit Gundam III: Encounters in Space, a third Guncannon can be seen during the attack on A Baoa Qu in addition to the two piloted by Hayato and Kai. Its number was not shown, though it is possible that this was the same Guncannon as Unit 203 seen in Mobile Suit Gundam Battlefield Record: Avant-Title.
- In Mobile Fighter G Gundam, the Guncannon makes a brief cameo appearance after the destruction of the Devil Gundam.
- The Guncannon was the model for the Mark-I Jaeger, Coyote Tango in the 2013 movie Pacific Rim.
- HGUC Guncannon Revive instruction manual
- Master Grade Guncannon instruction manual
- Guillermo, Rinko, Mana on Odaiba Tour (Pacific Rim)