Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Guncannon was a step up from the RX-75-4 Guntank; while the Guntank was more "tank" than mobile suit, the Guncannon was a true mobile suit with limbs. However, it did share the Guntank's Core Block System, using the same FF-X7 Core Fighter. It is based on the data of the RXM-1 prototype bipedal robot. The first Guncannon was the prototype RX-77-1A Guncannon A, which had poor mobility due to its heavy armor. The second version, RX-77-2 Guncannon, corrected this problem. It has two 60mm Vulcan guns in the head for defensive purposes, and the twin 240mm cannons on the shoulders are its primary weapon, which was used for the mobile suit's design purpose: mid-range support. The Guncannon was also the first mobile suit used by the Earth Federation Forces capable of firing a beam rifle.
The Guncannon was less mobile but more heavily armored than its cousin, the RX-78-2 Gundam. Unfortunately, the extra armor provided no additional protection against beam weapons, and powerful conventional weapons (such as the Giant Bazooka used by some Zeon mobile suits) were capable of causing severe damage. It also lacked any sort of melee weapon, making it helpless when an enemy mobile suit got too close. Also, its 240mm cannons only held 20 rounds per cannon, meaning the pilot had to learn how to conserve ammunition and use it wisely. Like the RGM-79 GM, the Guncannon was also manufactured at Jaburo.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- Dual, head-mounted, triple-barreled gatling cannons in caliber 60 millimeters. Each gun is loaded with 400 rounds of ammunition and fires at a rate of 1600 rounds per minute. Primarily for the elimination of aerial and light armor targets. With sustained fire, the stream of bullets can cause damage to enemy mobile suits.
- 240mm Cannon
- A pair of 240mm cannons are mounted on the shoulders of the MS. Meant for mid-range fire support, each cannon is fed by a 20 round internal magazine located inside the main body of the Guncannon. Each 240x800 millimeter shell has a 95 kilogram HE fragmentation warhead, with a casualty radius of 40 meters. Can fire up to a distance of 2.5 kilometers.
- Spray Missile Launcher
- The two 240mm cannons can be replaced by two spray missile launchers, which consist of 12 tubes, each tube containing 2 missiles for a total of 24 missiles per launcher. While they do not have the penetration power or the rate of fire of beam weapons, the rockets are not affected by line of sight and any type of anti-beam coating.
- BAUVA*XBR-L Beam Rifle
- The Guncannon can be equipped with a larger and more powerful beam rifle than the RX-78-2 Gundam's BAUVA*XBR-M-79-07G. It is powered via an internal E-Cap with an average charge of 15 rounds. The beam fired can tear through the armor of enemy MS and MA that haven't been treated with anti-beam coating. The maximum effective range of the rifle is 2.8 kilometers.
- Hand Grenade
- A HEDP fragmentation hand grenade is stored in a secured hatch on the lower part of each leg. Once the grenade is removed from storage, it is already armed. There is a five to seven-second fuse, allowing enough time for the Guncannon to throw the grenade safely away. The average throwing distance is about 300 meters.
Special Equipment & Features
- The prototype mobile suits produced by the Earth Federation Forces' Operation V, are equipped with a central block which houses the mobile suit's cockpit, control systems, and main power source. This core block can eject in case of emergency and unfold into a small Core Fighter.
During the Zeon attack on Side 7, only one RX-77-2 Guncannon survived the attack. It was stationed aboard the Pegasus-Class assault carrier White Base and piloted by Kai Shiden. However, when the White Base made its way to Jaburo, another unit was transferred to the White Base to replace the Guntank. It was piloted by Hayato Kobayashi. To separate the two units, they were named the "C-108" and "C-109". Both units were heavily damaged at the last battle of the One Year War at the Zeon's space fortress A Baoa Qu. Kai's Guncannon later reappears in Hayato's mobile suit museum in Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam.
The RX-77-2 Guncannon was the only "V Project" mobile suit to ever be produced in limited numbers. It served as a main mobile suit until the Federation introduced the RGM-79 GM; however, due to the high cost of beam weapons, many Guncannon units were armed with conventional machine guns or rifles. Some unlucky pilots were not issued a hand weapon at all, and had to rely on the Guncannon's built-in armaments. In the Mobile Suit Gundam: Zeonic Front video game, a three-man Guncannon squad was commanded by young, brash Federation pilot, Lieutenant Agar (who would later become pilot of the RX-78-6 Mudrock Gundam). This team would pursue the infamous "Midnight Fenrir Corps" Zeon special forces mobile suit team up to the Battle of Jaburo. Also in Mobile Suit Gundam: Cross Dimension 0079 video game, at least two Guncannons was used by Albatross transportation team in the Gobi Desert, though game's dialogue said they already lost several of them. Three units were also assigned to the SCVA-72 Thoroughbred.
Notes and Trivia
- In the Gundam VS Gundam series, the Guncannon is a playable unit along with the Gundam and the Guntank, all three of them belonging the Earth Federation time-line. However, as of Extreme Vs, the Guncannon was removed entirely.
- In Mobile Fighter G Gundam, the Guncannon makes a brief cameo appearance after the destruction of the Devil Gundam.
- The Guncannon was the model for the Mark-I Jaeger, Coyote Tango in the 2013 movie Pacific Rim.