Technology & Combat Characteristics
A variant of the RX-75 Guntank, the Earth Federation Forces' long-range support mobile suit. Characteristic features of this particular version include its two-seater head cockpit for a commander and a gunner, four caterpillar tracks, a dozer blade at the front of its lower body, a troop carrier compartment in the center front section of its lower body, and a pair of five-finger manipulators. The anime version is armed with a pair of low-recoil cannons, a pair of Bop missile launchers and two missile pods, while the manga version switched the missile launchers with machine guns. Additionally, in the manga version, the missile pods can be replaced with attitude control thrusters for operating in low gravity environment.
- Low-recoil Cannon
- The Guntank (Thunderbolt ver.) is equipped with two cannons for long-range support and artillery. They are mounted on the back in the anime version, and on the shoulders in the manga version.
- 4-tube Bop Missile
- The anime version has four-tube bop missile launchers located on the sides of both arms.
- 4-barrel Machine Gun
- Instead of bop missile launchers, the manga version has four-barrel machine guns on the sides of both arms.
- 6-tube Missile Pod
- Located on rear of the MS is a six-tube missile launcher on each side.
- Smoke Grenade Launcher
- Mounted on the side of each shoulders. The anime version has a six-tube design, while the manga version has a three-tube design.
In December UC 0079, this Guntank variant was used by the Black Cat squadron in the Battle of A Baoa Qu. It infiltrated the Zeon's space fortress alongside the RGM-79/GH Gundam Heads and then deployed troops to take control of the mobile suit production facilities within the fortress. After the war, the Black Cat squadron and this mobile suit was deployed to the assault carrier Spartan.
- This version of the Guntank strongly resembles the F-50D Guntank R-44's tank mode, and its role as an armored personnel carrier may have been inspired by the D-50C Loto.