Technology & Combat Characteristics
After the Gryps Conflict of UC 0087, the Earth Federation reclaimed the data of the RX-160 Byarlant as it was the only non-transformable mobile suit with sustained atmospheric flight ability. However this never happened until UC 0096, where the mobile suit researchers refurbished said mobile suit into the RX-160S Byarlant Custom. The Byarlant Custom possesses enhanced speed, agility, and self-sustained atmospheric flight. All these were achieved through the use of enhanced thruster units all over its body and two new back-mounted thrusters, which also contain large-capacity fuel tanks.
Other changes to the suit include arm parts taken from RX-110 Gabthley, a new feet design derived from the NRX-055 Baund Doc and the replacement of the mono-eye sensor with an EFF standard visor-type sensor. The Federation Forces HQ specifically requested the change in sensor before they would approve the project. Two Byarlant Custom units were produced at Torrington Base, with Unit 1 being a validation unit for the enhanced thrusters and various modifications; as such it does not fix the Byarlant's flaw of limited armaments. Development staff have referred to the project as a composite "creature" (Chimera) of Titans mobile suits.
- Mega Particle Cannon
- A fixed armament mounted on the forearms, they are the suit's only range weapon and are power rated at 4.7 MW. By adjusting the relevant parameters/settings of the particle cannons (such as its output), the weapon can have a variety of firing modes, including a beam machine gun-like mode that have a high rate of fire at the expense of penetrating power.
- Beam Saber
- Unlike the original Byarlant, the Byarlant Custom's beam sabers are generated from the Mega Particle Cannons.
- Claw Arm
- While the original Byarlant has small claws for manipulators, the Byarlant Custom is equipped with two claw arms from Gabthley for improved melee combat capability. However, they are even more unsuitable for wielding weapons.
Special Equipment & Features
- Propellant Tank/Thruster Units
- The propellant tank/thruster unit is a combination of large fuel tank with rocket-propelled thruster units attached at the end. It provides additional fuel for longer deployment times and greatly enhances Byarlant Custom's acceleration and agility during aerial combats. A pair are equipped on both sides of Byarlant Custom's built-in back thrusters.
The Byarlant Custom was deployed against the Zeon remnants during the assault of Torrington Base. Although Unit 1 was launched during the attack, Unit 2 was grounded due to a start-up error. The Byarlant Custom Unit 1 destroyed multiple Zeon remnant mobile suits, including two AMS-129M Zee Zulu. The Byarlant Custom pushed back the Zeon remnant forces with the help of Londo Bell's Tri-Stars mobile suit team and other Earth Federation forces.
Notes and Trivia
- HGUC 1/144 RX-160S Byarlant Custom Model kit Manual