Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Banshee Norn is an upgraded version of the Banshee with improved performance, assigned to Londo Bell pilot Riddhe Marcenas. The unit itself remains unchanged from the upgrades, with only the Armed Armors BS and VN replaced by two new equipment, the Armed Armor DE and Armed Armor XC. The Banshee Norn's primary ranged weapon is the Beam Magnum but with a new attachment, the Revolving Launcher. In Destroy Mode, the Armed Armor XC opens and rotates up, giving the Banshee Norn a lion-like look.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- A basic armament found on many Federation mobile suits. While essentially ineffectual against mobile suits' armor, they are useful in intercepting incoming missiles/rockets, destroying mobile suit sensors, and engaging lightly-armored vehicles.
- Beam Magnum
- A highly customized beam rifle designed with an energy condenser, a single shot from the beam magnum is equal in power to 4 normal beam rifle shots but it uses up an entire E-pac. Each of the beam magnum's magazine is loaded with 5 E-pacs, allowing a total of five shots before a new magazine is needed. The Banshee Norn can carry spare magazines on its rear skirt armor.
- Revolving Launcher
- A new attachment added to Banshee Norn's Beam Magnum in a manner reminiscent of the RX-78-2 Gundam's Super Napalm. Each barrel of the launcher houses a different weapon. A spare launcher can be stored on the rear skirt.
- Beam Jutte
- Stored in the Revolving Launcher, it is a short beam saber designed to catch enemy beam sabers, allowing the pilot to quickly counter when there is no time to draw out his main beam saber, or when the Banshee Norn is in a tight situation when it lost its Beam Sabers. Reminiscent of the beam jutte function of the beam rifles used by RX-78GP01 Gundam "Zephyranthes", RX-78GP03S Gundam "Dendrobium Stamen" etc.
- BOP Missile
- A set of four small missiles fired from the Revolving Launcher.
- Armor-piercing shells that release a blinding flash upon explosion. A set of four shells are fired from the Revolving Launcher and together they can destroy a mobile suit's shield.
- Micro Hide Bomb
- Numerous small bombs stored in a bomb case fired from the Revolving Launcher. The case breaks apart soon after launch, releasing the bombs that will float towards the targets and explode upon impact.
- Beam Saber
- The Banshee Norn is equipped with four beams sabers, two on the forearms and two in the Armed Armor XC. In Unicorn mode, the MS only has access to the two forearm mounted beam sabers. In Destroy Mode, the Banshee then has access to the two other beam sabers in the Armed Armor XC, allowing it access to all four sabers.
- Beam Tonfa
- The forearm mounted beam sabers can flip over and be used directly, in this form, they are known as beam tonfa.
- Armed Armor DE
- The Armed Armor DE (Defense-Extension) is the normal I-Field-equipped shield used by the Banshee with additional parts containing more psycoframe, six thrusters (four on top and two at the bottom) and a mega cannon. The mega cannon provides the Banshee Norn with another ranged weaponry, while the thrusters grant the suit speed comparable to a Base Jabber when the Armed Armor DE is mounted on the Armed Armor XC. It can also be used as a makeshift melee weapon with significant reach.
Special Equipment & Features
- Armed Armor XC
- The Armed Armor XC (Xeno-Connect) is an add-on backpack unit that enhances generator output while using the head antenna to detect Psycommu waves from incoming enemy suits, greatly enhancing the pilot's affinity with the machine and allowing a non-Newtype pilot to activate the NT-D system. The development of this equipment was deeply connected to that of the Psycommu assist system called n_i_t_r_o. The Banshee Norn's backpack beam sabers are stored in the Armed Armor XC.
Note: Much of the Unicorn Gundam Banshee Norn's history can be found on Riddhe Marcenas's page.
Gunpla & Action Figures
- In Irish and Scottish mythology, the Banshee is a "fairy woman" whose mournful wail heralds an imminent death.
- The "Norn" is an extinct North Germanic language. Norn also refers to any one of a number of female beings in Norse mythology who rule over the fates of gods and men, similar to the Moirai of Greek mythology.
- The Banshee is based on The Lion from The Lady and the Unicorn.
- In episode 23 of Gundam Build Fighters a HG 1/144 model of the Banshee Norn is seen as part of the festival tournament prize.
- Banshee Norn appears as a DLC unit in Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs. Full Boost and a default unit in Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs. Maxi Boost. Unlike the original version, the Norn is in permanent Destroy Mode.
- The Banshee Norn is the closest Banshee form in the anime to the Banshee seen in the novel, which has the same armament as the Unicorn Gundam.
- RX-0(N) Unicorn Gundam 02 Banshee Norn on Gundam-Unicorn.net
- RX-0(N) Unicorn Gundam 02 Banshee Norn on MAHQ