Technology & Combat Characteristics
While the RX-75-4 Guntank performed poorly as a mobile suit, its performance was very high for an armored fighting vehicle. Therefore, the Earth Federation Ground Force reinvented it as the RMV-1 Guntank II, a fire support ground unit designed to cover the assault of infantry and mobile suit units. The Guntank II has a more tank-like appearance than its predecessor and due to the removal of the Core Block System, its torso is capable of independently rotating. It has a pair of 120mm cannons mounted on its head turret, the arms are replaced with rocket and missile launchers, a pair of 2-tube smoke dischargers are mounted on its waist, and a 60mm machine cannon on its base.
- 120mm Low-Recoil Cannon
- The primary armaments of the Guntank II is a pair of 120mm cannons. Because of its placement on the head turret and the fact that the mobile vehicle's torso rotates independently, it possesses a wider firing arc than the original Guntank.
- 4-tube Rocket Pod
- Equipped on the right arm, the 4-tube rocket pod fires 180mm caliber rockets.
- Triple Missile Launcher
- A large 3-tube missile launcher is equipped on the left arm.
- 60mm Machine Cannon
- The base of the Guntank II is equipped with a 60mm machine cannon as an anti-infantry weapon.
- 2-tube Smoke Discharger
- Mounted on the waist, the 2-tube smoke dischargers can enshroud the Guntank II in an obscuring layer of smoke, making it difficult for the enemy to target.
According to various sources, the Guntank II entered mass production either after the end of the One Year War or in September, U.C. 0079, after Matilda Ajan delivered the combat data of the White Base team back to Jaburo. The Guntank II was built in limited numbers, with only six units constructed and assigned to North America and Central Asia before the end of the war, none of which saw combat.
The Guntank II remained in service for almost two decades, despite the fact that advances in mobile suit technology have rendered it obsolete. In U.C. 0087, two units were seen defending the Jaburo base during the AEUG's attack and were easily defeated. In U.C. 0094, one captured unit was operated by Zeon Remnants, it was destroyed by Braier Ryude of the Fresberg Corps piloting a Mass Production Type ZZ Gundam. In U.C. 0096, another unit was seen assisting in the defense of the Torrington Base against invading Zeon Remnants and was destroyed by a Galluss-K.
Notes and Trivia
- Some Japanese reference material classifies the Guntank II as a mobile vehicle instead of a mobile suit, hence the RMV code in its model number.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 MSV Collection File: Earth Edition, p.22
- ↑ MS Encyclopedia No. 1, p. 48
- ↑ MSV Handbook 1, p.18
- ↑ Mobile Suit Variation 3, p.29