Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Bertigo is a Newtype-use mobile suit developed by the Space Revolutionary Army (SRA) during the 7th Space War, and was intended to be an escort unit for the MAN-003 Patulia during Operation Lilac. Because mass balance was important in the design of this machine, everything is designed to be equal on both sides, and all armaments are installed or stored internally, eliminating any weapons that might upset the balance. This allowed the machine to engage in high mobility combat without losing its balance, and as a result, it gained excellent mobility and high performance comparable to a Gundam type MS. Its greatest feature is its 12 Bits, which are remote-controlled weaponry usable only by those with excellent Newtype abilities. These small beam guns can act independently of the main body, and are used to shoot at different targets simultaneously or launched a concentrated attack on a target from various locations.
- Machine Cannon
- A pair of rapid-fire, close-range defensive armaments built into the collar.
- Internal Beam Rifle
- One is built into each forearm and its muzzle is located near the tip.
- Beam Saber
- A beam weapon for close combat. One is stored in each forearm and when in use, they are ejected and placed in the hand.
- An all-range attack, remote-controlled terminal operated using the Flash System. 6 units are stored in each forearm, for a total of 12. They can function under Earth's gravity without problems. When the bits are used, the mono-eye on the head turns off and the mono-eye on the chest turns on.
Special Equipments & Features
- Flash System
- A system that allows a Newtype pilot to control remote weaponry known as "Bits" with their brainwaves.
- Flight Mode
- The Bertigo features a transformation mechanism that allows it to transform into a simple flight form and achieve flight on Earth.
At least five Bertigos were produced to serve as escorts for the mobile armor MAN-003 Patulia to carry out Operation Lilac, a mission to invade Earth and end the war with one decisive strike. The operation ultimately failed as the five Bertigos were all damaged or destroyed during atmospheric entry (possibly due to interception by UNE forces), while the Patulia crash landed on Earth.
Using the spare parts stored in Patulia, one Bertigo was assembled by Fort Severn's defense force in A.W. 0015 and was piloted by the Cyber Newtype Carris Nautilus, who believed that he could usher in an age of peace for the people of Fort Severn with his Newtype powers and the Patulia. Carris' Bertigo was deployed alongside several RMS-007G Juracg Cold Climate Types to attack the Vulture ship Freeden and kidnap Tiffa Adill, a Newtype, under the orders of Mayor Nomoa Long. Nomoa intended to use Tiffa to pilot the Patulia. During this attack, Carris was confronted by a GX-9900 Gundam X piloted by Garrod Ran. Garrod was quickly defeated by Carris due to his inexperience, Carris's Newtype powers, and the devastating firepower of the Bertigo's Bits. After Garrod was defeated, Tiffa voluntarily chose to go with Carris in exchange for sparing Garrod's life.
Some time later, Tiffa was rescued by Garrod and the Bertigo was sent to recapture her, this time battling against the new GX-9900-DV Gundam X Divider piloted by Jamil Neate. Despite having lost his Newtype powers, Jamil's experience allowed him to shoot down the Bertigo's bits and defeat Carris. After learning that Nomoa's true intentions to use the Patulia as a weapon of destruction to get revenge on the people of Earth for their actions during the 7th Space War, Carris became disillusioned and deployed in the Bertigo to engage the Freeden again. Carris again was pitted against the Gundam X Divider, this time piloted by Garrod who had learned from his past experience and from watching Jamil's battle. This battle ended in Garrod's victory as he was able to shoot down the Bertigo's bits and damage it.
After this event, Carris's damaged Bertigo was retrieved by the crew of the Freeden and repaired. The repaired Bertigo was piloted by Jamil when the mobile suit team of the Freeden battled the reactivated Patulia. After the battle with Patulia, the Bertigo was left in Fort Severn with Carris. Carris later deployed in his Bertigo to rescue the crew of the Freeden from being executed by soldiers of the New United Nations Earth. When Garrod, Tiffa, and Pala Sys were chased by Shagia Frost and Olba Frost during their attempt to flee, Carris' Bertigo alongside the mobile suit team of the Freeden launched to assist Garrod. Carris continued to pilot his Bertigo in space during the 8th Space War.
Notes & Trivia
- The Bertigo might be a homage to the Universal Century's AMX-004 Qubeley.
- Despite not having a Gunpla model, the Bertigo makes an appearance in Gundam Breaker Mobile as one of the Gunplas for the game.