The RMS-179 GM II (aka RGM-79R GM II) is a mass-production general-purpose mobile suit first featured in the anime Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam. Its design was later updated for the novel and OVA Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The RMS-179 GM II was a mobile suit developed in U.C. 0083 based on the Federation Forces Reconstruction Plan that was passed in October, U.C. 0080. As it was developed by the Federation Forces under severe financial conditions, the GM II was a minor update of the RGM-79 GM which led the Earth Federation Forces to victory during the One Year War. Various modernization and retrofits such as replacement of the main engine and installation of sub-sensors have been carried out, however, the GM II's performance has not been significantly improved compared to the original GM.
It should be noted that GM II units with the model number "RGM-79R" are original GM units that have been upgraded, and that GM II units produced after U.C. 0085 were fitted with the 360-degrees panoramic cockpit. The GM II was distributed in large numbers to the regular Federation Forces, while the RMS-106 Hizack was prioritized by the Titans. It is said that more than 10,000 GM II units were produced, however, they were already obsolete during the Gryps War and struggled in the face of new mobile suits that were being rolled-out one after another.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- A pair of shell-firing armament built into the head. Low offensive power, only used to restrict enemy movement, and lay down a wall of suppressive fire due to their rapid fire capability.
- Beam Saber
- The beam saber is a small device held in the mobile suit's hands when deployed and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. It emits high-energy Minovsky particles to form a blade-shaped I-field (via manipulation of electromagnetic fields), and then fills this I-field shell with superheated Minovsky particle plasma to produce an effective cutting blade. Like the GM, the GM II has one beam saber stored on its backpack, but features an improved blade generator unit.
- BOWA·BR-S-85-C2 Beam Rifle
- A portable firearm that shoots out mega particles beams. It has a power rating of 1.9 MW and is powered by a built-in energy CAP system.
- BLASH HB-L-07/N-STD Hyper Bazooka
- An improved model of the HB-L-03/N-STD Hyper Bazooka with added targeting sensors, increasing its accuracy. The magazine has also been changed to be completely sealed/airtight, and this not only makes exchanging magazine easier, but also protects against debris intrusion, accidental explosion due to being hit, etc. Additionally, no special attention needs to be paid to the weapon during operation as the rigidity of the rib section connecting the carrying handle to the bazooka's rear has been enhanced.
- HWF GMG·MG79-90mm Bullpup Machine
- The bullpup machine gun was a system weapon developed as a Space/Ground dual-use projectile weapon. Though compact, it has sufficient anti-MS firepower while maintaining accuracy. Its muzzle velocity is increased due to the use of new gunpowder and this enables it to easily penetrate the armor of Zeon's mobile suit. A box-like sensor system incorporating a video camera and laser sensor is installed at the top, and when this system is used alongside the GM II's targeting system, target acquisition capability is enhanced.
- HFW-GR·MR82 90mm GM Rifle
- A portable, mobile suit-use 90mm rifle built based on the 'system weapon' structure, its effective range and accuracy is superior to the HWF GMG·MG79-90mm machine gun. With the extended barrel, the GM Rifle sees a 15% increase in muzzle velocity, leading to increased armor penetration capability. Additionally, a newly developed caseless cartridge allows for a lightened ammunition load.
- YHI YF-MG100 100mm Machine Gun
- First utilized by Federation's mobile suit ground forces during the One Year War, its use became less common after the war as the Federation switched to 90mm caliber weaponry. Equipped with a box magazine and folding stock, it has excellent rate of fire and is easy to wield. It utilized a smoothbore type barrel that lacked rifling and has to be replaced after firing 3000 rounds. The weapon could utilize three different types of ammunition: HEAT (High Explosive Anti Tank), APFSDS (Armor-Piercing Fin-Stabilized Discarding-Sabot), and HESH (High Explosive Squash Head), allowing combat units to select the appropriate type to meet operational needs.
- A portable, physical projectile-type firearm, this general purpose bazooka was used by the Jegan and other Earth Federation Forces' mobile suits in the mid U.C. 0090s. A spare ammunition cartridge is mounted in front of the bazooka's grip, and the weapon is compatible with various types of warhead. Despite the relatively slow speed of the bazooka's projectiles, they have sufficient destructive power to deal critical damages to a mobile suit.
- M-120A1 120mm Machine Gun
- The same portable firearm used by the Zaku II. It can switch between semi-automatic and automatic fire. Although useless against Luna Titanium Alloy, it can still destroy weaker armor material with multiple shots. It fires 120mm caliber rounds that are stored in a 100-rounds drum magazine. It was used by the "fake Gundam team" on a gold-painted GM II pretending to be the MSN-00100 Hyaku Shiki while taking a civilian shuttle as hostage.
- Harpoon Gun
- A projectile weapon designed for amphibious combat. The harpoon gun fires four harpoons one by one in a rotary manner similar to a revolver. The tip of each harpoon is loaded with explosives that detonate once the projectile has penetrated the enemy's armor.
- YHI ERRL-TYPE.Doc-04/380mm Rocket Launcher
- A portable large rocket launcher meant for MS, it is independently developed by Yashima Heavy Industries for use specifically in 1G environment. Also known as Hyper Bazooka (Ground Type), it has a very versatile design with features that include targeting sensors, etc. It uses a banana-shaped magazine and has a short barrel to facilitate its use in jungle/forested areas. This weapon can utilize a number of different munitions including warheads that deploy stabilizing fins after launch, and this shows that its design took many references from human-sized ground weaponry used in older eras.
- YHI YF-RC180 Railcannon
- A weapon that uses electromagnetic forces, rather than gunpowder, to fire solid projectiles at very high velocities. Manufactured by Yashima Heavy Industries. This equipment was developed in consideration of the problems that the early beam weapons had decreased power due to attenuation in the atmosphere, and the basic structure is diverted from a battleship's main gun. It was first used by the RGM-79F Land Combat Type GM.
- 170mm Cannon
- A successor to the 180mm Cannon developed during the early stages of the One Year War. Although the caliber of the shell was reduced to improve handling, its range and power have been increased.
- FADEGEL RGM-M-Sh-003 Shield
- A basic defensive armament used by the Federation's GM type MS. It is composed of a triple honeycomb structure made of Luna Titanium and the surface also has anti-beam coating for defending against beam attacks.
- FADEGEL RGM-M-Sh-007 Shield
- An improved model of the RGM-M-Sh-003. It has the exact same size as its predecessor, but its material was changed to Titanium-Ceramic composite. Its mount latch was made movable, allowing the shield to be positioned up or down when carried by a Mobile Suit manipulator or mounted on the forearm, increasing its usability.
- RGM*S-Sh-WF/S-00109 Shield
- The GM II can also use the same forearm-mounted shield as the Gundam Ground Type and GM Ground Type. This small, light shield is constructed of Luna Titanium alloy, and is designed to primarily protect the cockpit and other critical areas. Additionally, it can be used as a close-range striking weapon in mobile suit combat. Furthermore, through lodging the spikes at the tip into the ground, the shield can serve as a free-standing frontal defense. This also allows the mobile suit to use both hands to hold large-caliber weaponry and maintain a stable firing position.
Special Equipment & Features
- Ballute System
- An atmospheric entry device designed to be used by a multitude of different mobile suit models. As the mobile suit enters the atmosphere, a bowl-shaped ballute (balloon parachute) deploys to protect it from the friction heat of atmospheric entry. The balloon then detaches, leaving the mobile suit with chest and leg hover units which ease its descent to the ground. If the mobile suit reaches the ground without expending all the fuel in the leg units, these devices can also be used for hovering and high-speed strike missions.
The GM II was introduced in the early U.C. 0080s, replacing the older RGM-79 GM as the mainstay mobile suit of the Earth Federation Forces. It was commonly used during the early days of the Gryps War in U.C. 0087 by both the Federation Forces and the AEUG. However during the conflict, both sides continually fielded newer mobile suits that possessed greater performance and new technology, like the MSA-003 Nemo and the RMS-108 Marasai.
Eventually, after the Gryps War and during the First Neo Zeon War, the Federation Forces and the AEUG would both use a new mainstay mobile suit, the RGM-86R GM III a descendant of the GM II that featured vast improvements. In the U.C. 0090s, the GM II continued to be used at remote bases where the RGM-89 Jegan had not yet been deployed. During the Laplace Incident units were deployed alongside the Nemo and GM III to combat the Zeon remnant forces during their assault of Dakar and Torrington Base.
Illustrations & Artwork
- "Master Archive Mobile Suit RGM-79 GM (GA Graphic VOLUME 1)" SoftBank Creative, September 2010, pages 76-80.
- “ENTERTAINMENT BIBLE Mobile Suit Gundam MS Encyclopedia PART.2 Gryps War Edition” Bandai pages 36 and 94.
- 1/144 GM II, Bandai, 1985, model kit assembly instruction
- "High Grade Universal Century RMS-179 GM II" Instructions, Bandai, October 2011.
- "B-CLUB" No. 6, Bandai, April 1986, p. 66.
- Reborn-One Hundred Guncannon Detector manual
- RMX-179/RGM-79R GM II on Gundam-Unicorn.net
- RMS-179/RGM-79R GM II on MAHQ.net
- RMS-179/RGM-79R GM II on Gundams.de
|Anaheim Laboratory Log Mechanics|
MSA-005X-1 Methuss X-1 | MSA-005X-2 Methuss X-2 | MSA-005X-3 Methuss X-3 | MSF-007 Gundam Mk-III | RGM-79C GM Type C | RGM-79N GM Custom | RMS-179 GM II
|Aircraft / Spacecraft|
FXA-08R-X1 Proto Mega Rider
RGM-79SP GM Sniper II | RX-80PR-4 Pale Rider DII
MS-09RSS Dowas Custom | MS-14J ReGelgu | MS-17 Galbaldy α | MS-17R Galbaldy α High Mobility Type | MS-21D1 Dra-C Custom
|Under the Gundam: Double-Fake Mechanics|
|Monotone Mouse Company|
J Gundam | Junior Mobile Suit | Petite Mobile Suit
Middle Mobile Suit | MWS-19051G D Gundam "First" | MWS-19051G-2 D Gundam "Second"
|Earth Federation Forces|
Gundam Kazaki Custom | MSA-003 Nemo | MSA-004K Nemo III | MSA-008 Bar-GM | Nemo Kai | RGD-X1 GD Striker | RGD-X2 GD Cannon | RGD-X3 GD Burstliner | RGM-89B Jegan Custom | RGX-D3 D Gundam "Third" | RGX-D4 D Gundam "Fourth" | RMS-179 GM II
Musai-class | Salamis-class
AMS-119 Geara Doga | AMX-002 Gaza-B | AMX-003S Gaza-C Custom | AMX-011C Zaku III Late Type | AMX-011C Zaku III Late Type Land Use | AMX-012 Guza | AMX-013 Zssa Dain | AMX-016 Gaza-W | AMX-102C Zssa Kai | AMX-121 Quel Doga | Doga | MSN-03 Jagd Doga | MSN-X4 Bagwi Doga