The RMS-106 Hizack (aka Hi-Zack) is a mass-production general-purpose mobile suit featured in Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam. It was based on the MS-06 Zaku II series and was used by EFSF groups, notably the Titans, during the Gryps War.
- 1 Technology & Combat Characteristics
- 2 Armaments
- 3 Special Equipment & Features
- 4 History
- 5 Variants
- 6 Gallery
- 7 Gunpla
- 8 Action Figures
- 9 Notes & Trivia
- 10 References
- 11 External Links
Technology & Combat Characteristics
A mass-produced mobile suit developed at Granada with help from Anaheim Electronics, which absorbed the Zeonic Company which was once Principality of Zeon's major mobile suit developer. While the Hizack's external appearance resembles that of the Zeon's famous Zaku II, it was a vast improvement over the older mobile suit. The Hizack's design incorporated both Earth Federation and Zeon technologies, with the latter contributing to it having the same high operating reliability and ease of production as the Zaku II. Data from the MS-06F2 Zaku II F2 Type was also referenced during development.
The Hizack is outfitted with a titanium alloy ceramic composite armor and has a higher output generator than that of a Zaku. It is also faster and more agile than its predecessors and is easy to pilot. The Hizack is most often equipped with a 120mm machine gun kai, beam saber, or heat hawk. It sometimes uses a beam rifle, but due to its low generator output, it can only carry one beam weapon at a time. The Hizack can also be equipped with missile pods. Although the Titans were assigned to wipe out the remnants of the Zeon forces, their Hizack uses a similar dark green color scheme. Meanwhile, the regular Earth Federation Forces used a dark blue color for their units.
- Shoulder Shield
- Mounted on the right shoulder, it is a simple defense used to enemy's attacks.
- Heat Hawk
- An axe-like weapon first used by the original MS-06 Zaku II, its name is short for "tomahawk". Thermal energy is relayed through the mobile suit's hand to heat the weapon's blade, allowing it to slice through the armor of enemy warships or mobile suits. Although the Hizack normally uses a beam saber, it has to use this if it was using a beam rifle due to its low-output generator.
- Beam Saber
- The beam saber is a small device held in the mobile suit's hands when deployed and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. It emits high-energy Minovsky particles to form a blade-shaped I-field (via manipulation of electromagnetic fields), and then fills this I-field shell with superheated Minovsky particle plasma to produce an effective cutting blade for close combat. However, the Hizack couldn't use it in conjunction with a beam rifle due to having a generator with insufficient output.
- 3-tube Missile Pod
- The Hizack could optionally mount a pair of 3-tube missile pods on each side of its hips for long to mid-range attacks.
- BR-87A Beam Rifle
- A standard hand carried ranged beam weapon is the beam rifle. This particular model is the same as the one used by the Marasai, however, the Hizack's low generator output hinders its effectiveness. It is powered by a replaceable e-pac and is power rated at 2.2 MW.
- A model of shield popular with Hizack pilots, it is mounted on the left arm. Shields are simple in their design, being essentially thick slabs of armor that the mobile suit can use to absorb the impact from attacks that, for whatever reason, cannot be dodged. However, shields can only withstand so much pressure before becoming damaged themselves. The backside can store two spare e-pacs for the beam rifle.
- 120mm Zaku Machine Gun Kai
- A recreation of the original Zaku II's machine gun to provide a cheaper and less energy-consuming weapon. It is a shell firing gun that does not require energy to be used, however, its effectiveness against heavy armor is very limited. Features an improved stock and improved accuracy with a federation standard sensor.
- 135mm Anti-Ship Rifle
- A long-barreled weapon used for long-range sniping attacks. It fires highly accurate solid rounds which can heavily damage warships. Appears on a customized Gunpla in episode 6 of Gundam Build Divers.
Special Equipment & Features
- Ballute System
- An atmospheric entry device designed to be used by a Mobile Suit. As the mobile suit enters the atmosphere, a bowl-shaped ballute (balloon parachute) deploys to protect it from the friction heat of atmospheric entry. The balloon then detaches, leaving the mobile suit with chest and leg hover units which ease its descent to the ground. If the mobile suit reaches the ground without expending all the fuel in the leg units, these devices can also be used for hovering and high-speed strike missions. The equipment is designed to be used by a multitude of different mobile suit models.
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
The Hizack served as one of the three main mobile suit models that filled the Earth Federation forces' ranks from U.C. 0084-0087, alongside the RMS-179 GM II and RMS-117 Galbaldy β, and was the primary mainstay mobile suit of the Titans until the RMS-108 Marasai was introduced. As the main unit of the Titans, the Hizack was used in many missions to eradicate anti-Federation dissidents.
By 0087 the Hizack was primarily pitted against the AEUG and Karaba organizations, however time and again it was proven that the rebel pilots and machines were simply superior to the Hizack. In the same year, the Hizack began being phased out as the Titans were supplied with newer machines developed by the Earth Federation, Anaheim Electronics, and their own research teams.
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
The Hizack was originally built and operated by the Earth Federation Forces, but the invasion of Earth by Neo Zeon during the First Neo Zeon War resulted in several of these units being captured by the enemy. Though it is likely that some Earth Federation combat units possessed Hizacks, they were no longer one of the Federation's primary mobile suits, having been replaced by the RGM-86R GM III, and MSA-003 Nemo. It is likely that the use of the Hizack ceased because of its association with the Titans.
Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack
By U.C. 0093, the Hizack had been almost completely phased out and, as such, was either being used for scrap or for private purposes. One of these variants was the RMS-116H Hobby Hizack, a civilian use variant.
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn
Notes & Trivia
- In SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online, the Titans-colored and EFSF-colored Hizacks showcase the unit's low tolerance for beam weaponry: the common Titans-colored Hizack is outfitted with a beam saber and the Zaku machine gun while the rare EFSF-colored Hizack is outfitted with a heat hawk and a beam rifle.
- In one of the episodes of Mobile Suit Z Gundam, one of the Hizacks during the attack on AEUG's space shuttle happen to slip on a GM II and was shot to death by Kamille Bidan's Gundam MK-II.
- Data Collection " Mobile Suit Gundam One Year War - Side Story", Media Works