The RGZ-91 Re-GZ (Refined Gundam Zeta) (リ·ガズィ Ri Gazi?) is a prototype transformable mobile suit based on the MSZ-006R Zeta Plus R. It was featured in the anime movie Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack and had a cameo in the OVA series Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Re-GZ was developed by Anaheim Electronics as a simplified variant of the company's masterpiece, the MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam. Consideration for mass-production was taken into account, and it aimed for a lower cost than the limited-production Zeta Plus series. The basic design of Re-GZ's body follows that of the Zeta Gundam's MS form while parts such as the arms are shared with the RGM-89 Jegan. The transformation mechanism was considered too costly to mass-produce, and was removed in favor of a special Back Weapon System (BWS), which the Re-GZ can dock with to change to a Waverider-like form.
The BWS was developed with reference to subflight systems such as the Base Jabber and FXA-05D G-Defenser, and in particular, the MSZ-006R Zeta Plus R (a machine with a large detacheable backpack) from the Zeta Plus series. The BWS is armed with additional beam weapons and propellant tanks. As the Re-GZ was developed during a time where large-scale battles did not occur and it was more expensive than other MS, so only one prototype was built. Despite the Re-GZ boasting high specifications that outclassed other mass-production machines, it struggled against Neo Zeon's Newtype-use mobile suits in U.C.0093 due to a lack of Psycommu weapons.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- Mounted in the head, the pair of shell firing weapons have high-rate of fire but little power and can't damage the armor of a mobile suit, though they can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. They are ideal for shooting down small, lightly armored targets such as missiles, attack vehicles, etc.
- Beam Saber
- The standard close range armament for most mobile suits, it is a small device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. The beam saber emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-Field and can cut through most armor not treated with anti-beam coating. The Re-GZ has a pair of beam sabers with an output of 0.7 MW each, and they are stored in the backpack. The Re-GZ's beam saber has an unique shape in which part of the flange spreads from side to side at the time of use. Additionally, a limiter is installed to reduce energy consumption so that the beam blade is not generated until just before the slash.
- 2-tube Grenade Launcher
- The Re-GZ is equipped with four 2-tube grenade launchers, two mounted on the forearms and one on each of the side skirt armor.
- Beam Rifle
- A standard hand carried ranged beam weapon is the beam rifle. This particular model used by Re-GZ has an output of 3.8 MW and is equipped with a laser sensor at the top of the barrel. When not in use, the beam rifle can be stored on the back of the shield.
- A basic arm-mounted defense equipment for many Federation mobile suits. The shield is a thick sheet of armor designed to take severe punishment that would normally destroy a mobile suit. It is also treated with an anti-beam coating to withstand several beam shots before the coating wears off. Typically, physical shields can only take so much damage before they succumb to the pressure and break.
- Hand Grenade
- Three hand grenades are stored at the top of the back of the shield.
- Mega Beam Cannon & Beam Cannon
- Mounted on the BWS are two beam cannons and one mega beam cannon. These are the strongest weapons of the Re-GZ, but can only be used when the BWS was docked. These beam cannons can destroy a normal MS with one shot, or sink cruiser-class vessels in one volley.
Special Equipment & Features
- Back Weapon System (BWS)
- Special optional parts, it is equipped with a mega beam cannon in the nose and beam cannons on both sides. Additionally, it carries propellant tanks beneath the wings. It is possible to mount missile launchers in underwing pylons. By mounting the BWS, the Re-GZ can operate as a heavy space fighter with emphasis on space combat. While it is possible to separate the BWS during combat, it cannot be docked with afterwards .
- Dummy Launchers
- Stored in the hands, these launchers can deploy mobile suit sized dummy balloons as decoys.
- Psycho-Frame Cockpit
- Only shown in Char's Counterattack - Beltorchika's Children, the Re-GZ's cockpit is lined with nanoscopic psycommu receptors, allowing a Newtype pilot to operate both the mobile suit and psycommu weaponry with ease. The remaining psycho-frame material salvaged from the MSN-03-2 Psycho Doga was installed in the Re-GZ after being installed on the RX-93-2 Hi-ν Gundam.
In U.C. 0093 the Re-GZ was deployed to the Londo Bell task force, which was fighting against the Neo-Zeon army led by Char Aznable. The first person to pilot the Re-GZ was the famous One Year War veteran Amuro Ray, who used the suit in the failed attempt to stop the asteroid Fifth Luna from hitting the Earth. He fought against cyber newtype Gyunei Guss in his MSN-03 Jagd Doga and Char in his MSN-04 Sazabi. Afterwards, the Re-GZ was assigned to squadron leader Kayra Su, who was defeated and killed by Gyunei. During this battle, the Re-GZ also lost its right arm and leg.
After being brought back to the Londo Bell flagship Ra Cailum, the still-damaged Re-GZ was finally used by young Londo Bell officer Chan Agi, who used it to fight against Quess Paraya in the massive mobile armor NZ-333 Alpha Azieru. During the battle, she accidentally fired a missile at the Azieru's cockpit, killing Quess and destroying the Alpha Azieru. Because of this, Hathaway Noa, who was in love with Quess and also trying to persuade her to defect, used the beam rifle of his RGM-89 Jegan to destroy the Re-GZ, killing Chan.
Notes & Trivia
- In general, whenever the Re-GZ is available in the Super Robot Wars series, it's default mode is the BWS mode, though the player can switch to the regular mobile suit variant for the rest of the battle. The unit is generally superior in most respects with the BWS system equipped.
- In Super Robot Wars Advance, Kayra is the default pilot of Re-GZ for the game. Amuro continues using the RX-78-2 Gundam (or Full Armor Gundam if it obtained) until he receives the RX-93 ν Gundam, and Chan is not even playable.
- In Super Robot Wars Z, the Re-GZ is unable to eject the BWS during normal play, but can eject and recombine freely during its attack animations. Because the plot of the game is based on Zeta Gundam rather than Char's Counterattack, the Re-GZ and ν Gundam's presence is an anachronism, and of the official pilots of the unit only Amuro is playable.
- In Super Robot Wars Reversal, Amuro, Kayra and Chan all pilot the Re-GZ if the player chooses to follow the Ra Cailum path.
- In Super Robot Wars Compact 3, when Amuro joins the player's team, Chan joins with him, piloting the Re-GZ. This game is the only game where Chan is a fully playable character for more than one stage.
- The Re-GZ is a playable suit in the Gundam Battle series. It can only assume its Waverider form if its BWS is equipped as the sub-lifter option. As a result, the Re-GZ can only go back and forth between forms when it equips or purges the BWS.
- The Re-GZ is a playable suit in Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2. Although not a full-fledged license machine like the Zeta Gundam, it still stands out as one of the more powerful units. However, it was one of the only two mobile suits to not return in Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3. The Re-GZ returns in Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn.
- The Re-GZ is a DLC unit in Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs. Full Boost and a default unit in Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs. Maxi Boost. It's unique in that it starts out in BWS waverider mode and must manually be changed into mobile suit form.
- "HGUC RGZ-91 Re-GZ", Bandai, January 2008.
- Dengeki Data Collection, Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack, Media Works, July 1998, pp. 56-57.
- "Master Grade RGZ-91 Re-GZ", June, 2001.
- Mobile Suit Gundam MS Encyclopedia PART.3 Axis War, Bandai, June 1989, pages 64-65.
- "1/144 RGZ-91 Re-GZ" instruction manual, Bandai, December 1987.
- "Mobile Suit Gundam MS Encyclopedia PART.3 Axis War" Bandai, June 1989, p. 42.
- "B-CLUB SPECIAL15 Mobile Suit Gundam MS Complete Works" Bandai, February 1988, pp. 84-85.
- ENTERTAINMENT BIBLE .3 Mobile Suit Gundam MS Encyclopedia [PART.3 Axis War], Bandai, June 1989, pp. 129-131.
|Char's Counterattack Mechanics|
|Londo Bell/Earth Federation Forces|
RGM-86R GM III | RGM-88X Jeddah | RGM-89 Jegan | RGZ-91 Re-GZ | RX-93 ν Gundam | RX-93-ν2 Hi-ν Gundam
|Aircraft / Spacecraft|
Base Jabber | Booster Bed
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
Clop-class | Ra Cailum | Salamis Kai-class
AMS-119 Geara Doga | MSN-03 Jagd Doga | MSN-03-2 Psyco Geara Doga | MSN-04 Sazabi | MSN-04II Nightingale | MSN-04X Sazabi Test Prototype | NZ-222 Psyco Doga | RMS-116H Hobby Hizack
NZ-333 α Azieru
|Aircraft / Spacecraft|
Camouflaged Launch | Shackles
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
Musaka-class | Rewloola-class
|Aircraft / Spacecraft|
Tien Lu | Tug Boat
|Transporter / Supply Ship|
|Revival of Zeon Mechanics|
A/FMSZ-007II Zeta | MSA-003 Nemo (Land Type) | PX-00531 ν Gundam Pre-Test Type | RGM-79E GM II | RGM-86T GM III | RGM-89T Jegan | RGZ-91 Re-GZ | RX-178 Gundam Mk-II B | SSMS-010 ZZ Gundam
RAX-778 G-Ray | RX-92LAS G-Commander
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
AMS-119A1 Geara Doga | AMX-101G Galluss-G | MS-06D Desert Zaku | MS-09E Dwadge | MS-09G Dwadge | MS-09K Dwadge | MS-106 Hizack-B | MS-106 Hizack-D | MS-108 Marasai-E | MS-108 Marasai-G | MS-108 Marasai-H | MS-108 Marasai-S | MS-109A Goblin | MS-109D Goblin | MSN-04B Sazabi | PMX-003 The O II | PMX-005 Breda
MAN-010 G-3 ("Ge Drei") | ORX-005EX Sturm Jaeger