Technology & Combat Characteristics
An improved variant of the RGM-86R GM III, the Nouvel GM III differs from standard GM III in the fact that it is a completely new design, rather than an upgraded GM II like the former. The Nouvel GM III runs a more powerful generator and features redesigned head components containing improved sensors and increased storage for Vulcan ammo. The chest components are different, incorporating the generator with four exhaust heat ducts. Due to the improved performance, it has become a machine that can be called a simple mass production type of the RX-178 Gundam Mk-II, and it has become the main production machine in place of the MSA-003 Nemo, whose production line was closed after the Gryps War due to poor cost performance. The Nouvel GM III shares the same weapons load-out as its predecessor: two head mounted Vulcans and a pair of Beam Sabers, and can also be equipped with two shoulder-mounted Missile Pods and two hip mounted Large Missile Launchers.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- Mounted in the head, the pair of shell firing weapons have high rate of fire but little power and can't damage the armor of a mobile suit, though they can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. They are ideal for shooting down small, lightly armored targets such as missiles, attack vehicles, etc. The Nouvel GM III's head Vulcans have much more ammunition compared to the GM III's.
- Beam Saber
- The standard close range armament for most Federation mobile suits. The beam saber is a small device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. It is capable of cutting through any armor that has not been treated with anti-beam coating. The Nouvel GM III has two beam sabers stored in the backpack. It has the same shape as the Gundam Mk-II's, but a general mass-produced beam generator is used.
- Beam Rifle
- The standard ranged armament of the many mobile suits is the beam rifle. The particle beam fired from a beam rifle can penetrate almost any armor that has not been treated with specific counter-measures. The Nouvel GM III equips the same model used by the Gundam Mk-II.
- A piece of equipment that increases the Nouvel GM III's defensive capability, it is typically mounted on the left forearm. The Nouvel GM III equips the same model used by the Gundam Mk-II.
- Missile Pod
- The Nouvel GM III can be outfitted with a missile pod on each shoulder. Each pod has its own sensors for improved accuracy, and carries four medium-sized missiles. Can be ejected when not required, and is also known as 'Normal Missile Pod'.
- Option Missile Pod
- An alternate shoulder-mounted missile pod, it is loaded with 15 micro-missiles that are arranged in three rows of five. Can be ejected when not required.
- Large Missile Launcher
- A pair of large missile launchers can be mounted on the Nouvel GM III' side skirts. Each launcher contains two large, high performance missiles that has a special body shape for improved mobility. Can be ejected when not required. By using other joints and connectors, the large missile launchers can be attached to other body parts.
Soon after the Gryps War came to a close, The Nouvel GM III became the main mobile suit model of the Anti Earth Union Group, taking the place of their old and obsolesce Nemo. The suit was also used by Earth Federation Forces  alongside the RMS-179 GM II and RGM-86R GM III before being replaced by the RGM-89 Jegan. In U.C.0094, a Nouvel GM III boarded by Fresberg Corps pilot Rex Fabio was deployed for technical tests with the MSN-001X Gundam Delta Kai at Area X of the Mariana Base.
- Nouvel is French for "new".
- ↑ Dai Nippon Printing "Gundam Sentinel Gundam Wars III", page 106.