Technology & Combat Characteristics
The RGM-79 GM is the standard mass production mobile suit of the Federation Forces. The ones used by the Moore Brotherhood in the Thunderbolt Sector differ from the standard issue model in several ways as they are customized for use in the area.
Sensors are added on the left and right of the head for better search capabilities in the debris-filled area. The GM (Thunderbolt Ver.) also has higher maneuverability and mobility thanks to apogee motors added in various body sections, including four on the circular parts on either side of the head, as well as a large backpack that has multiple thrusters. The large backpack and the machine's joints are covered in special seals to protect them from the debris.
The large backpack also has two sub-arms, which not only hold shields for defense, but can also retrieve spare weapons and ammunition stored in spots the main arms cannot reach. Weapon wise, the manga version has enhanced firepower with the use of the Twin Beam Rifle in addition to the Beam Spray Gun. As for the OVA version, it has a Beam Saber on the bottom of its small backpack that is covered by the large backpack.
- Beam Saber
- A close combat weapon that emits a blade-shaped beam from the hilt when drawn. The GM (Thunderbolt Ver.) has a beam saber stored horizontally on the bottom of the small backpack which is concealed by the large backpack, and is usable only after the large backpack is ejected. Found only on the OVA version.
- Beam Spray Gun
- A simplified version of the beam rifle, the beam spray gun served as the main weapon of the GM (Thunderbolt Ver.). It can use up to two beam spray guns.
- Twin Beam Rifle
- Mounted on the left forearm, this double-barrel beam rifle is a smaller version of the one used by FA-78 Full Armor Gundam (Thunderbolt Ver.). The weapon is powered by energy packs. Used only by the manga version.
- A defensive armament, the GM (Thunderbolt Ver.) can be equipped with two of them, one carried by each of the large backpack-mounted sub-arms.
Special Equipment & Features
- A pair of simple manipulators mounted on the GM (Thunderbolt Ver.)'s large backpack. They are articulated and can be used for various purposes, such as exchanging energy packs, holding shields, etc.
- Core Block System
- A central block located in the torso, it houses the mobile suit's cockpit, control systems and main power source. The core block can be ejected in case of emergency and transforms into an emergency pod.
The Moore Brotherhood deployed multiple units in the Thunderbolt sector to reclaim the area from Zeon forces' Living Dead Division. However, most of the units were heavily damaged or destroyed by the guarding MS-06 Zaku II (Thunderbolt Ver.)s and MS-09R Rick Dom (Thunderbolt Ver.)s that were armed with Big Guns. Io Fleming managed to survived the destruction of his GM (Thunderbolt Ver.) by ejecting his Core Block in time.
In the manga, whatever could be salvaged after the battle was used to repair those that were still capable of fighting. These units were later used in the final assault on Zeon's main fleet. At least 3 GM (Thunderbolt Ver.) participated in the attack, and guarded the Dried Fish after it was captured. When the Federation surrendered to Zeon, the GM (Thunderbolt Ver.)s were used to transport soldiers to a Chivvay-class, its sub-arms now used to hold soldiers instead of shields. The fate of these units are unknown.
During the Battle of A Baoa Qu, multiple GM (Thunderbolt Ver.)s were seen in action. One such unit, piloted by Ensign Bianca Carlyle, faced off against a MA-05 Bigro and destroyed it, claiming her eighth kill.
Notes and Trivia
- The large backpack is inspired by modern day life support systems for spacesuits.
- Both HGGT models of the GM (Thunderbolt Ver.) are of the manga version.