Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Earth Federation Forces decided to change a few optional parts of the RGM-79CR GM Kai High Mobility Type to convert it into a sniper-type unit: the RGM-79SR GM Sniper III. The GM Sniper III is equipped with a long-range beam rifle and a visor which contains high-performance optical targeting equipment. The GM Sniper III's sensors, thrusters, and other systems were upgraded to match the specifications of the GM II. The GM Sniper III's backpack contains an improved generator and a high-performance sensor. A radiator duct has been added to the right side of its chest, and another sub-sensor to the left side. The generators in its legs have also been improved, vernier thrusters installed in its calves, and it can carry energy pack holders on its arms and skirt armor. Only one GM Sniper III was assigned to the Titans Test Team.
- Beam Saber
- 60mm Vulcan Gun
- Long-Range Beam Rifle
- 110mm Bazooka
- 240mm Cannon
- The so-called "cannon pack" allows normal mobile suits to reproduce the functions of medium-range support machines like the RGC-80 GM Cannon through a simple backpack replacement.
- Prototype Beam Launcher
- RGM-79SR GM Sniper III Medium Range Support Type
- The GM Sniper III equipped with a medium-range support unit, or "cannon pack," for increased firepower. The addition of this cannon pack disrupts the GM Sniper III's mass balance and reduces its originally high maneuverability, but dramatically increases its firepower. Although beam weapons are the standard armament at this point, because the GM Sniper III carries a high-output long-range beam rifle, the cannon pack uses a projectile cannon to reduce the load on its generator. It also carries a RMS-117 Galbaldy β's extendable shield. Since the beam rifle's high output causes severe superheating in its barrel, two replacement barrels are attached to the shield.
- RGM-79SR GM Sniper III High Mobility Type
- The GM Sniper III equipped with a new "high mobility backpack," an enhanced version of the backpack used by the YRMS-106 Hizack Pre-Production Type, which was designed to be tested for compatibility with the GM series. The high mobility backpack contained an improved generator with better performance than the standard RMS-106 Hizack backpack, and the unit's legs were fitted with the thrusters used by the RGM-86R GM III. Development of the enhanced backpack were postponed as development of the Hizack was given priority. The backpack enhancement plan was reactivated as the Hizack began mass-production, and a single prototype model was assigned to the Titans Test Team. The unit also fielded a prototype beam launcher, and due to their generally satisfactory test results these devices were later adopted in the RMS-106CS Hizack Custom.