|Please note that this is the Gundam Wiki's article on the mobile suit featured in Mobile Suit Variations; if you are looking for the article on RGM-79SC GM Sniper Custom featured in Mobile Suit Discovery then you should head to RGM-79SC GM Sniper Custom/Origin.|
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The GM Sniper Custom is a high-performance derivative of the RGM-79 GM, and is one of the machines designed to meet the needs of veteran and ace pilots based on their feedbacks. It has an improved backpack, upgraded rocket thrusters and verniers, and reinforced armor. Other notable improvements over the RGM-79 GM included a head "visor" for protecting the sensors and cooling vents were fitted to the torso and knees. The armament of the GM Sniper Custom includes a single beam saber, a beam gun, a sniper beam rifle and various other weaponry.
- Beam Saber
- As with most other EFF mobile suits, the GM Sniper Custom is armed with a beam saber for close combat. It is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor, and uses Minovsky particles held in place by an I-Field to form an effective cutting surface that can slice through nearly any material not tread with anti-beam coating. The GM Sniper Custom's single beam saber is mounted in a box-shaped device fixed on the forearm, and is thus also known as a 'Box Beam Saber'. It is capable of emitting its beam blade while stored, allowing for direct use, it can also be taken out from its box and used as a handheld weapon.
- BR-M79L-3 Sniper Beam Rifle (R-4 Type Beam Rifle)
- One of the sniper beam rifles used by the GM Sniper Custom, compared to the standard beam rifle, it has a higher focusing rate and a longer barrel. The rifle's barrel, stock and scope can be folded when not in use.
- BOWA BR-S-85-L3 Sniper Beam Rifle
- Another model of sniper beam rifle, it shares some parts with RMS-179 GM II's BOWA·BR-S-85-C2 Beam Rifle and is powered by a rechargeable e-cap. The rifle's long barrel has a newly developed beam accelerator, enhancing the beam convergence rate by 40%.
- BR-M-79C-1 Beam Spray Gun
- A standard beam spray gun could be stored on a storage rack on the calf of the machine. The beam spray gun featured three fire modes: a basic single shot mode, an area suppression burst shot with a widened beam focus, and a range shot with the ability to cause damage over a wide area. Output 1.4 MW.
- Twin Beam Gun
- A double barreled version of the BR-M-79C-1 Beam Spray Gun. This design suppresses barrel heating by firing alternately from the two barrels.
- Folding Beam Handgun
- A secondary beam sidearm stored on the side skirt armor or on the inner side of the forearm via a bracket, its grip can be folded up during storage.
- BLASH HB-L-03/N-STD Hyper Bazooka
- A general purpose fire support rocket launcher platform for mobile suits. With considerable destructive power owing to the high explosive yield in each warhead, the weapon was primarily used to destroy less maneuverable targets such as warships, satellites, land battleships, bunkers, and buildings.
- FADEGEL RGM-M-Sh-007 Shield
- The same shield as used by the RGM-79C GM Type C, it is an improved model of the RGM-M-Sh-003. It has the exact same size as its predecessor, but its material was changed to Titanium-Ceramic composite. Its mount latch was made movable, allowing the shield to be positioned up or down when carried by a Mobile Suit manipulator or mounted on the forearm, increasing its usability.
- RGM*S-Sh-WF/S-00109 Shield
- Mounted on the forearm, this small, light shield is commonly used by the Gundam Ground Type and GM Ground Type. Constructed of Luna Titanium alloy, it is designed to primarily protect the cockpit and other critical areas. Additionally, it can be used as a close range striking weapon in mobile suit combat. Furthermore, through lodging the spikes at the tip into the ground, the shield can serve as a free standing frontal defense. This also allows the mobile suit to use both hands to hold large caliber weaponry and maintain a stable firing position.
24 early production units were produced by Luna II as part of the third production run. In total, less than 50 GM Sniper Custom units were constructed due to cost issues. These units often had various customizations applied to them by their pilots.
The unit piloted by Lieutenant Francis Backmeyer was said to be the most heavily armed, and roughly half of all units imitated his loadout. Tenneth A. Jung, the Federation's top ace pilot during the One Year War, also piloted a GM Sniper Custom.
They were mostly assigned to escort fleets, defending transport ships in dangerous space sectors. A small number was assigned to special forces units to carry out sabotage and surprise attacks on Zeon forces stationed at each Side. Pleased with the Sniper Custom's performance, the EFSF headquarters ordered the development of an improved version for the attack on the Zeon homeland, which eventually became the RGM-79SP GM Sniper II.
In Mobile Suit Gundam 0083 Rebellion, a GM Sniper Custom belonging to the 404th airborne unit provided sniper support to a team of RGM-79V GM Night Seeker in capturing the stolen RX-78GP02A Gundam "Physalis". It was fixed to a Gunperry and destroyed a MS-05L Zaku I Sniper Type defending the Komusai II transporting the Gundam. However, due to dense fog and the destruction of the GM Night Seeker team, it was forced to retreat.
Retrofitted Sniper Custom units were used during the Gryps Conflict and deployed at Jaburo. They were equipped with the same weapons as the RMS-179 GM II, as well as leg suspension system and linear seat.
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found