|Please note that this is the Gundam Wiki's article on the mobile suit featured in Mobile Suit Variations; if you are looking for the article on RGM-79SC GM Sniper Custom featured in Mobile Suit Discovery then you should head to RGM-79SC GM Sniper Custom/Origin.|
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The GM Sniper Custom is a high-performance derivative of the RGM-79 GM, and is one of the machines designed to meet the needs of veteran and ace pilots based on their feedbacks. It has an improved backpack, upgraded rocket thrusters and verniers, and reinforced armor. Other notable improvements over the RGM-79 GM included a head "visor" for protecting the sensors and cooling vents were fitted to the torso and knees. The armament of the GM Sniper Custom includes a single beam saber, a beam gun, a sniper beam rifle and various other weaponry.
- Beam Saber
- As with most other EFF mobile suits, the GM Sniper Custom is armed with a beam saber for close combat. It is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor, and uses Minovsky particles held in place by an I-Field to form an effective cutting surface that can slice through nearly any material not tread with anti-beam coating. The GM Sniper Custom's single beam saber is mounted in a box-shaped device fixed on the forearm, and is thus also known as a 'Box Beam Saber'. It is capable of emitting its beam blade while stored, allowing for direct use, it can also be taken out from its box and used as a handheld weapon.
- BR-M79L-3 Sniper Beam Rifle (R-4 Type Beam Rifle)
- One of the sniper beam rifles used by the GM Sniper Custom, compared to the standard beam rifle, it has a higher focusing rate and a longer barrel. The rifle's barrel, stock and scope can be folded when not in use.
- BOWA BR-S-85-L3 Sniper Beam Rifle
- Another model of sniper beam rifle, it shares some parts with RMS-179 GM II's BOWA·BR-S-85-C2 Beam Rifle and is powered by a rechargeable e-cap. The rifle's long barrel has a newly developed beam accelerator, enhancing the beam convergence rate by 40%.
- BR-M-79C-1 Beam Spray Gun
- For close ranged combat, a standard beam spray gun could be mounted on a storage rack on the calf of the machine. It is powered by a rechargeable e-cap. As the effective range of the beam spray gun is quite short, it serves perfectly as a close range or holdout weapon for the GM Sniper Custom.
- Folding Beam Handgun
- A secondary beam sidearm stored on the side skirt armor or on the inner side of the forearm via a bracket, its grip can be folded up during storage.
- BLASH HB-L-03/N-STD Hyper Bazooka
- Technically a large rocket launcher, it could fire several 380mm missiles to attack targets at long range. No mass-production MS's armor is able to stop this weapon. While very powerful, it has a slow rate of fire and a fairly little amount of ammunition. Most oftenly used to take out slow, heavily armored targets.
- Twin Beam Gun
- A double barreled version of the BR-M-79C-1 Beam Spray Gun. This design suppresses barrel heating by firing alternately from the two barrels.
- FADEGEL RGM-M-Sh-007 Shield
- The same shield as used by the RGM-79C GM Type C. Shields are simple in their design, being essentially thick slabs of armor that a mobile suit can use to absorb the impact from attacks that, for whatever reason, cannot be dodged. However shields can only withstand so much pressure before becoming damaged themselves. Shields are also treated with an anti-beam coating to defend against beam weapons, however the coating gets gradually burned away each time a beam strikes it until it is rendered useless.
- RGM*S-Sh-WF/S-00109 Shield
- Mounted on the forearm, this is the same shield as used by the Gundam Ground Types and GM Ground Types. Mount latch and joint/pivot mount position retracted for protection or extended for slashing or punching attacks. Can be thrust into the ground and used as an elevated weapon firing position.
Following the introduction of the GM series of mobile suits, the EFF created a more powerful version of the suit for its best pilots. This suit was the GM Sniper Custom, which, as its name implies, was designed for long-range battle by adding a powerful sniper beam rifle to its armament. 24 early production units were built at Luna II, however due to the high production cost of this variant, less than 50 models were built. The built models were then assigned to ace pilots like 1st Lieutenant Francis Backmeyer, who often tuned their suits to their personal requirements. Most Sniper Custom units participated in the battle of A Baoa Qu and they contributed to the Federation's victory there. Following the GM Sniper Custom's success in battle, the Federation attempted to make another less expensive variant, the RGM-79SP GM Sniper II. Retrofitted Sniper Custom units were used during the Gryps Conflict and deployed at Jaburo.
Notes and Trivia
- The plot of Keroro Gunsō the Super Movie (2006) starts with Keroro buying a gunpla of the GM Sniper Custom Ver. Ka. The said gunpla has yet to be released in real life, but the Kunio Okawara-designed GM Sniper Custom got released in 2017, 11 years after the movie release.
- The BR-M79L-3 Sniper Beam Rifle (R-4 Type Beam Rifle) was released as part of the 2014 Gunpla Summer Campaign.
|Blazing Shadow Mechanics|
|Principality of Zeon|
| Mobile Suit|
EMS-10F Zudah F | MS-06F Zaku II | MS-09B Dom | MS-09F/Br Dom Barrage | MS-14B Gelgoog High Mobility Type ［Falaq］ | YMS-23C Ghoul
| Mobile Armour|
Genbu | MA-04X-3 Umgarna
|Cruiser / Mother Ship|
| Mobile Suit|
RGM-79C GM Type C | RGM-79C［G］ GM Type-C［G］ | RGM-79CA GM Raid | RGM-79CA GM Raid Light | RGM-79FP-S1 GM Striker EX (Metal Spider) | RGM-79SP GM Sniper II
| Mobile Suit|
MS-14B Gelgoog High Mobility Type ［Gald Kureiz use］ | RGM-79GB High Boost GM | RGM-79N GM Custom (Silver Haze) | RGM-7979N GM Custom (Silver Haze EX) | RGM-79SC GM Sniper Custom
|Aircraft / Spacecraft|
|Maria Shield Corporation|
| Mobile Suit|
RGM-79R GM II (Maria Shield co.)