Technology & Combat Characteristics
The GM Night Seeker was developed based on the RGM-79 GM, but many of the special operations forces that had deployed the RGM-79V requested the deployment of a Night Seeker with improved mobility. For this reason, during the third production run of the GM Night Seeker, the Earth Federation Forces manufactured several units based on the RGM-79L GM Light Armor, which has superior maneuverability to the regular GM. Based on the RGM-79L, this machine was named the RGM-79LV GM Night Seeker II.
It has been modified in the same way as the RGM-79V, with six thrusters added to the chest and landing gear to enable high-altitude descent missions, and sensor pods on the sides of the head to receive signals from the commander and lead unit. In addition, armored guards were installed to protect the head goggle sensors, and marker pods were prepared for the lead machine. In order to take advantage of the mobility of the base machine, the GM Light Armor, explosive bolts were built into the mounting base of the additional thrusters, making it possible to instantly eliminate the thruster equipment. The elimination of the thrusters was expected to make it difficult to return to the mother ship, but in reality there was no trouble as imagined, and the same modification was made to the Night Seeker produced later.
- Beam Saber
- A beam weapon for close combat. It is a small device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. It emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-Field and can cut through any armor not treated with anti-beam coating. One is stored on the left side of the backpack.
- Custom Beam Rifle
- The same firearm used by the RGM-79L GM Light Armor. It is a very effective long-range weapon, which suits GM Night Seeker II's recon and long-range support role.
- HFW-GMG·MG79-90mm Bullpup Machine Gun
- The bullpup machine gun was a system weapon developed as a Space/Ground dual use projectile weapon. Though compact, it has sufficient anti-MS firepower while maintaining accuracy. Its muzzle velocity is increased due to the use of new gunpowder and this enables it to easily penetrate the armor of Zeon's mobile suit. A box-like sensor system incorporating a video camera and laser sensor is installed at the top, and when this system is used alongside the mobile suit's targeting system, target acquisition capability is enhanced.
- YHI YF-MG100 100mm Machine Gun
- The standard armament for Federation's mobile suit ground forces during the One Year War that was developed by Yashima Heavy Industries. It has an alternate model number: "NF·GMG-Type.37/100mm". Equipped with a box magazine and folding stock, it has excellent rate of fire and is easy to wield. It utilized a smoothbore type barrel that lacked rifling and has to be replaced after firing 3000 rounds. The weapon could utilize three different types of ammunitions: HEAT (High Explosive Anti Tank), APFSDS (Armor-Piercing Fin-Stabilized Discarding-Sabot), and HESH (High Explosive Squash Head), allowing combat units to select the appropriate type to meet operational needs.
The RGM-79V and RGM-79LV were deployed to the front lines in the latter half of the One Year War, and achieved great success in suppressing the bases of the Principality of Zeon's Earth Attack Force, thanks in part to the skills of the pilots of the elite "033 Special Mission MS Squadron".